• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Does Organic Garden Produce taste better?

Can you really see or taste the difference?
My vote is YES. Although I can tell the difference with Hot Peppers, I think it is most evident with Tomatoes, Eggs and Milk. The Egg yolks are even more Orange.
My fave fertilizers are Fish Emulsion and Seaweed spray. I think Organically grow Veggies look more vibrant as well.
What do you think??
Pepper Joe
:dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance: :lol:

I know I sure can tell a difference between my maters and peppers vs store bought. Never thought of it, but I do notice eggs too...... We only buy organic milk for our daughter so I don't even remember what the other stuff tastes like.

Be it organic or not I think it all comes down to the different goals. A commercial farmer wants LOOKS and SIZE. When we plant a garden we want HEALTH for the plant (and ourselves). We watch leave color, curls, bugs, ect. The commercial farmer knows if he adds X amount of Y he gets fruit Z size. We micromanage our crop. THAT I think is the biggest difference.

Organic farming is hard work and the food definately tastes better. I don't think you need to be totally organic to get the great flavor but you have to take good care of your soil and ecosystem. Organic beer is awesome too!

It's not the fact it's organic that makes it taste better.
Tomatoes for example. the store bought are often commercial strains selected for productivity and resistant, not flavor like the ones you grow. also most commercial tomatoes are picked green or half ripen and ripe off-plant. while ripening a lot of the sugars are formed which are most of the flavor and that just doesn't happen with off-plant ripening. it's a matter of care and financial considerations.
Eggs are even better of an example. the color of the yolk is 100% caused by the food the chickens consume and it's not how organic the food is. feeding with corn for example improves flavor and color. better nutrition may also affect growth the overall size of the eggs themselves. better nutrition doesn't necessarily mean organic. some of the best eggs I've ever had were in an agricultural university and they were fed anything but organic. good stuff though, healthy too. high nutritional value.

Basically what I mean is there are so many parameters other than being organic or not that affect the quality of the product and it usually comes down to good ol' fashion farming with heart and care vs. industrial farming.

Hay Joe, How are ya?

IMHO......................YES.........sorry didn't mean to yell!

remove the Does, change ? with !

If you keep rephrasing the question, it gradually becomes the answer.

Keep it hot my friends! Spicy Chicken

Tomatoes for example. the store bought are often commercial strains selected for productivity and resistant, not flavor like the ones you grow.

when i comes to tomatoes i have to agree with omri, my roma tomatoes taste like store bought romas with only a slight edge but i have the ability to grow varieties that the growers can not bring in, there are so many wonderful varieties of heirloom tomatoes that are just not grown by commerical growers. luckily tomatoes have an even bigger following than hot peppers and they keep the tomato spirit alive.

The problem with grocery store tomatoes is not so much the organic factor but the fact that they breed varieties that ship well and look perfect but they are picked green, refigerated, and when needed they are ripened with ethylene gas and labelled as freshly ripened. Even grocery store "organic" tomatoes taste like cardboard to me
Now those that love tomatoes can grow excellent tasting heirlooms with a variety of tastes that might not look perfect or have a long shelf life but they are more nutritious, more flavorful, and can be picked ripe off the vine for full freshness

Make sure its organic beetroot :lol:
LOL, One of the big things Ive noticed with my home grown vegies is they last heaps longer. Maybe thats because they havent been shipped from grower to market to supermarket then sitting there for how long. That a lone makes it hard to prove the claim that oganic produce lasts longer. My homegrown definately tastes better, celery, tomatoes, capsicums(sweet peppers)

I notice a difference in everything bought at a supermarket vs grown at home, i believe that one can actually taste the love that the grower puts into his produce.

Organic is really just today's buzz word. Responsible, sustainable agriculture is really the key in my opinion. Chemical fertilizers aren't all bad, its the over-use and dependance that becomes a real problem in my eyes

our grocery stores get both bulk tomatoes(picked green, then gased) but available to me is product from this company(BC Hothouse). their summer tomatoes are tasty, right now their tomatoes are brought in from mexico but soon we will be getting produce grown in their facility.

http://www.bchothouse.com/products-tom.html

i help put a system in for them back in 1998 and their facility is absolutely amazing, i did a stop in visit in 2006 and couldn't believe how technical their facility has become.

drove by this greenhouse in 2006 and its a monster, i didn't tour the facility but the wife has their tomotoes in the fridge but it has a sticker saying product of new zealand. again, as lighting conditions improve and our days get longer, their local version will soon be available. (the new zealand tomatoes in the fridge seem to taste nice) - kind of makes me want to brew up some roasted tomato soup. this group supplies our local Costco with tomatoes and peppers - the peppers are extremely expensive.

http://www.windsetfarms.com/our-products/tomatoes

i can't wait until LED lighting makes its next jump in advancement, i would bet these large commerical greenhouses will be able to grow year round.

Organic is really just today's buzz word. Responsible, sustainable agriculture is really the key in my opinion. Chemical fertilizers aren't all bad, its the over-use and dependance that becomes a real problem in my eyes

What this guys says. I think it's less about labels and more about the care and attention applied to the growing, caring for and/or cooking of an item that really gives it it's flavor. Your own produce always tastes better than someone else's. And anything grown with care and attention taste better than something grown as a "commodity". I've never had beef better than those that we raised. They weren't organic, they were just seen and cared for by people every day. Kept happy, mellow and well fed. And damned if we didn't have better than wagyu.

Back