• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Don't you feel like a murderer when...

i dont feel so bad since i toss them in a compost pile, thus recycling them into next years fertilizer, its like soylent green for plants :)

I was only thinking that yesterday whilst getting rid of the small seedlings, it wass looking at me like WHY? I just hate doing it, i might start planting them in the garden and let them die from natural causes.

Hahaha, soylent green, what a movie...

I feel guilty.

strangely I also feel a little guilty when squashing snails.

still, those little bastards shouldn't be in my f*cking garden!!!

I don't feel guilty unless the plant is full of pods. If they aren't producing anymore, then they are in my way and need to be composted or overwintered.

It doesn't feel good, that's for sure. There are always some flowers and tiny pods on them and it doesn't feel right somehow!

It is really going to get to me when I have to deal with my first frost...even if I cut back 100 plants and try and overwinter them, that still leaves 200 plants and they all have pods on them....gonna be a sad, sad day...weather still looks good for at least another 10 days with no cold weather in sight...

Yep all the love..Tenderness and then thrown into the compost.If there lucky cut back and ready for next season..A chili plants is a tough one :)

PrairieChilihead said:
you pull your unsuspecting plants out by the roots and toss them into the garbage can? Or is it just me? :(

I feel like a bad, murdering parent because I'm allowing my Thai
plants to die outside. I only had room in my grow room for the Habs
and Naga's :(

In the case of plants, I believe in euthanasia. Better to end their life abruptly and feeling fine instead of freezing to a slow but sure death.

Mike

I've been a serial killer then the last couple of days. I just ripped them out of the ground. I didn't let those last few pods ripen. :)

I find it easier to remove plants a bit at a time then to have to do a huge undertaking once frost hits.

Just think...next year, their offspring will be in the garden.

Chris

AlabamaJack said:
It is really going to get to me when I have to deal with my first frost...even if I cut back 100 plants and try and overwinter them, that still leaves 200 plants and they all have pods on them....gonna be a sad, sad day...weather still looks good for at least another 10 days with no cold weather in sight...

Only overwintering 100 plants??? You noob!;)

I will save maybe 6 or 7.

Cheezy,

AJ sets the bar rather high, doesn't he! I plan on kicking his butt next year, but in tomatoes and potatoes! No way can I compete with him in peppers - he saves more plants for next year than I grew this year.

Mike

bit I gots to saves the plants bro's....after seeing what my overwintered O. Hab did this year, it really set me on fire for trying to get a bunch of second year plants....can you imagine if I had a Dorset Naga, Naga Morich, Bhut Jolokia, and Bih Jolokia that produces over 500 pods each and then have 5 or 6 each of these?.....I would be in heat heaven...

as far as tomatos go WW...I ordered my seeds today for next year from tomato growers...

I ordered 3 determinates and 3 indeterminates...I will probably go to the tomato growing thread and continue this discussion...

cmpman1974 said:
I find it easier to remove plants a bit at a time then to have to do a huge undertaking once frost hits.

Just think...next year, their offspring will be in the garden.

Chris

That's what I wound up doing. I pulled a few plants last weekend because they were in my way...trying to get in to the one plant I am over-wintering. Then I felt like all the remaining plants were glaring at me accusingly. Every time I went out I could feel their "eyes" or whatever on me. I pulled the rest yesterday.

I can't help but feel that there's some consciousness at some level. Am I crazy? :rolleyes:

Yes you are crazy, but take heart, you are not alone. It is the strangest thing, i can go hunting and blow animals to bits but my chilli plants are different somehow....

Sid03SVT said:
i dont feel so bad since i toss them in a compost pile, thus recycling them into next years fertilizer, its like soylent green for plants :)

Same here. Tomato plants, pepper plants, bean plants, all are going to wind up as some nice rich soil for next years garden.

Do you chop your plants up or chuck em in whole?

Today's the day, tonight is supposed to get down to 29..have no choice but to get the plants picked clean or dig them up and there's nearly half the garden worth. All the plants that need to be overwintered have to be dug up as well and into the warmth if not into the pots right this minute. It's not that we waited until the last minute..well we did..but that I wanted to use every day of sunshine I could. The end of the garden is always kind of sad.

Back