• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dot Com's 2012 Grow Log

Start off w/ my habs that weren't far enough along to produce before Fall set-in so I decided to put them in this 2012 Grow Log

Peach on the left, Chocolate in the middle, and Unknown on the right:

6200717245_ffe4852d02_z.jpg

Thats my "3 way daylight, natural color, 6500 K" fluorescent bulb box in the lower right corner.

looks like my sickly peach hab is dying. Oh well. I no doubt, started growing it too early in the season as I did many others this year.

the heat wave killed my jalapeno plants (2), tomato plant (1 of 2), my 3 flowers (marigolds) I had started-up, among other plants. Oh well, it was a freak occurrence so...

I had some bug out there on the balcony, the size and shape of those bugs that glow at night, and it was burrowing under some of the plants. Don't know if it was just creating tunnels or doing something more destructive to the plants like laying eggs

one of my plants from last season that never produced anything before being over-wintered. Well, it produced something this season. Choc bhut:

7593679946_1d2226581d_z.jpg

wish my Douglah coulda' survived. Still haven't been able to bring one of those to fruition. Just sowed a few of those seeds on the windowsill to the right.

getting near the end of the summer & no peppers off of my over-wintered dorset naga. I think I figured out why but too late- the dirt had been exhausted of its nutes from growing other plants in it. I since, 2-3 weeks ago got some nursery-fresh dirt & re-planted it. Looks healthy & has @ 100 flowers on it. I sooo want to eat a pepper off of this thing. They're supposed to be REEEALLY :hot:

7875937114_6f53732378_z.jpg

here's my "Jamaican Red or Scotch Bonnet" (says both on the seed pkg) on left & 7-Pot on right:

7883363110_21df513419_z.jpg

my Florida Datil:

7883364440_fc9402ba52_z.jpg

hope these three make it through the winter.

update on Scoth bonnet & Datil. I hope it isn't too late in the season for these to ripen to full maturity. The drought/heat wave really screwed up the season this year IMHO (that & I was reusing worn-out/nutrient lacking dirt which slowed their growth considerably I'm sure)

Scotch Bonnet:

7989213629_500f2a84ec_z.jpg

Datil which is growing the fastest since I replaced the dirt w/ nutrient rich/store bought dirt :P

7989213903_a763edac52_z.jpg

finally naga dorset baby pod hanging from big mature branch & douglah sprout in small pot on lower right. [In the middle is my pruned/over-wintered 7-Pot which is going gangbusters :party: Its in the same small-size pot the douglah seedling is in] I pray that the douglah will survive into the Fall. Never been able to grow one of these. Thinking of getting a heating mat & light to help it keep growing in the off-season (spending @ $100- $150) :rolleyes: :

7989214145_b57c440eae_z.jpg

it is likely ok on the balcony

do not leave them where they can "walk off"

how did the dorsett taste?

maybe nitwit needs to be more patient?

maybe you want to grow some chocolate habs?

;)

That Datil looks like an annuum, maybe a jalapeno from the picture?

heres what it is. Can't be a jalapeno I don't think. I had those in another pot. Datils are supposed to be straighter (like these) & ripen to yellow too right? You'd know better than me.

my choc bhut carried over from last year :P

my first ever scotch bonnet/jamaican red pepper grow :party:

all 3 of these have been outdoors after the heatwave had passed.

i dunno it looks pretty jalapeno- esque

we sometimes get a seed from before fools us

one way to find out is EAT ONE

the jamaicans look yummy

:onfire:

i dunno it looks pretty jalapeno- esque

we sometimes get a seed from before fools us

one way to find out is EAT ONE

the jamaicans look yummy

:onfire:

I will be upset if its a jalapeno but I don't think it is one. I'll know soon enough. As to the Scotch Bonnets/Jamaican Reds, they are kewl looking thats for sure. Got them at a run of the mill nursery in mass produced paper seed bags like Burpee for instance.

it is likely ok on the balcony

do not leave them where they can "walk off"

how did the dorsett taste?

maybe nitwit needs to be more patient?

maybe you want to grow some chocolate habs?

;)
the dorset will be like eating a bbq briquet :fireball: if Niel's video is any indication :D

Along those lines, I ate 1/2 a Douglah from Chris a couple days ago and the experience was out of this world. Consider this (you may have seen it already) about the douglah: http://thepepperseed...t-chili-pepper/

2 better pics of the Florida Datil (I hope), Scotch Bonnet (only @ 14inches/35 cm tall :shocked: ), and Naga Dorset (small pod @ 1 1/2 in/3.5 cm long):

The "Florida Datil" is surely an annuum of some kind, and looks very much like a jalapeno.
Is a Datil not an annum? What visual characteristics differentiate them? If it starts turning red then- jalapeno & if it starts turning yellow then Datil :) I'm really hoping its a Datil as I've already grown jalapenos. I'm pretty good at segregating my seeds too so I'm pretty sure about it. One thing that looks different from jalapenos so far is the pods are straighter & narrower (it would seem) than a jalapeno.

Datil is a chinensis. There should be 2 or more flower buds at each flower node.
I did not know this. Well, I still hope it is a datil despite the evidence to the contrary. I grew a big pot of jalapenos last season (pics on my GLOG thread)

Anyway, I just ate one of Chris's Naga Vipers for lunch (yes, I saved the seeds). Pretty darn hot but, thankfully not as hot as the Douglah he sent me IMHO (just my n00b opinion [I could be wrong]). That Douglah I ate a few days ago sent me into the stratosphere. :fireball:

Back