• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dot Com's 2012 Grow Log

Start off w/ my habs that weren't far enough along to produce before Fall set-in so I decided to put them in this 2012 Grow Log

Peach on the left, Chocolate in the middle, and Unknown on the right:

6200717245_ffe4852d02_z.jpg

Thats my "3 way daylight, natural color, 6500 K" fluorescent bulb box in the lower right corner.

Yeah, did you have any luck? The suspense is killin' me!
The overwinters look good - lots of growth on them!

The Piquin has a healthy node of new growth now after being sprayed a few times:

The Morich doesn't seem to be doing much but I have a couple more seeds sowed in case it doesn't bounce back (I've been spraying this one too for a few days now):​

Just curious, did you ever get any pods on the Fresno that you had propped up with a stick? I've only grown them once, but mine was a much more compact plant, probably not more than 15" - 18" tall.

had to cull it after it stopped growing during the winter. Good news is a seed I planted last week just popped up. I think I'll be able to ghet some pods off of this one this time as it appears normal/symmetrical. The one last year grew sideways from the beginning due to it not being able to get rid of its seedcap in time. Here's the 2012 Fresno:

6783058514_c30d6d3c8a_z.jpg

Keep the faith with the piquins DC they'll come through for you. Congrats on overcoming a very sensible fear and munching the BJ Indian Carbon.
Looks like you were right patrick but I also recieved some growing tips from nitwit to help me out. Piquin seems to be pulling- through w/ new & sustained growth:

6929177953_de28445aea_z.jpg

My Datil (many thanks to biscgolf) is growing the healthiest & fastest of the bunch :rofl:

6929177987_0c0993c427_z.jpg

Looks like they are doing great thanks to your TLC.
The little Morich looks good, it should go for ya.

Looks like they are doing great thanks to your TLC.
The little Morich looks good, it should go for ya.
maybe it will start growing but it hasn't grown an inch in a month. I just had a seedling pop up ystrdy although I won't post a pic because it looks just like the seedling I posted above, just smaller. Can't wait for the Morich. Gave Neil a real burn on his YouTube test of it. :) I ate 1/2 of a Bhut Indian Carbon :fireball: so I'm eager to try the Morich

glad to see the things getting better maybe a while more
until the weather warms up and you can try to "help out"
at the organic grow (over at the potomac thing)

maybe a datil or a few pubes?

Potted up my Datil this am (plant is @ 8 inches tall but the root ball was only @ 3-4 inches around???):

Fresno seedling true leaves emerge (left) & Morich seedling (tiny :D )

6946761125_8fa1f36f9e_z.jpg

Hey, Dot! Looks like your plants are surviving in good style!
The Datil looks rarin' to go!

I think I received some weak Datil seed or something... I started a dozen of them, had all 12 germinate... 4 had seed caps, 2 died when I tried to remove them with scissors... I learned a better way, and got the other two off... but then a couple were munched by a mouse, then I lost a couple when i was hardening the plants off, and now the two that I have left haven't grown a bit in weeks.

The Datils are the only ones I lost during hardening off, and here I thought they'd be easier since I'm in florida, and they are native... lol

I think I received some weak Datil seed or something... I started a dozen of them, had all 12 germinate... 4 had seed caps, 2 died when I tried to remove them with scissors... I learned a better way, and got the other two off... but then a couple were munched by a mouse, then I lost a couple when i was hardening the plants off, and now the two that I have left haven't grown a bit in weeks.

The Datils are the only ones I lost during hardening off, and here I thought they'd be easier since I'm in florida, and they are native... lol

So far, I've been fortunate w/ the Datil (fingers crossed). I was not so fortunate when i started a douglah, Morich, & a dorset too late in the season last year. They took off then seemed to wither away because it was winter & I don't have a lighting system :(. Hope I can grow these w/ the few seeds I have left this season. Worse comes to worse I'll have to locate some more seeds.

Most of my winter crop seems to be doing ok: Choc Hab (pruned down), BJI Carbon (pruned down), Datil, Pequin, Thai's, & overwintered Jalapeno.

My naga morich, OTOH seems to have stopped growing :( Sprouted 3-5 of them and they were going gang-busters. Oddly all my seedlings were thriving in November :eh: Similar story w/ my Douglah. Started out thriving then went off a cliff. Prolly has something to do w/ me being a relative n00b starting them in the winter. :eek: Now I can't seem to get any of my remaining Morich & Douglah seeds to sprout. thus far. If they don't sprout, I'll be out of those seeds. Pretty depressing. Not having them is one thing but having them sprout & them losing them is another. Anyone w/ any spare Morich or Douglah seeds would be appreciated.

On the brite side, a plant which I had written- off as maybe dormant/sick seems to be turning around somewhat. Planted it late last year & never got any pods off of it for that reason (I don't have/use grow- lights) My last remaining Dorset that is the last seed i have seems to have weathered the winter. Had its first flower open today. I will be so excited to try this one if I can get a pod off of it after watching Neil eat one on his YouTube channel . :fireball: Here's a pic of it:

6993043833_8dde93d60d_z.jpg

update- piquin on left (w/ flower & two buds) & fresno on right:

6904943848_868d6122bc_z.jpg

(sowed @ 20 more piquin seeds in a separate pot the other day. The one above had/has some issues as you can see.)​

recently- pruned choc hab that is taking off:​

6904943902_89a5cb70a2_z.jpg

over-wintered dorset that i have yet to get a pepper off of. The new growth looks healthy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed:

6904944022_4feac4cc85_z.jpg

peach hab (from seeds last year that I never sowed) and morich on the right:​

7051033939_db5d2fa004_z.jpg

Datil that seems to have stopped growing???

6904943806_f0b6fdbaaa_z.jpg

yo dot dude,
might think about a little fertilator onto them ( just for laughs )
you have some time release pellets ( i think ) and could do a ½ teaspoon per pot without much chance
of burning if you water it in well

good growing
:hell:

p.s. any luck doing some volunteers ( just for laughs ) from the organic grow?

edited for typo et al.

got back from my p/t job & looks like i either watered my peach hab seedlings (they were tiny) to death or they got overexposure to the sun. Will sow some more. I got to be more careful. I really don't need more habs but never grew the peach ones before. Its still way early in the season & I have more seeds so, live & learn.

couple of over-winter shots. (didn't think either of these plants would make it but they did):

choc bhut jolokia w/ new healthy pod :dance: The main stem here is an off-shoot of last year's main stem which is big @ as my index index finger. You can see it in the shadow on the left side of the pot. This will be the first time I've had the privilege of eating one of these (fingers crossed) as I planted it too late in the season last year

6908371036_c0cfc02a85_z.jpg

I ate 1/2 of a pod off of this plant last year. bhut jolokia indian carbon seems to be coming back gangbusters after pruning down significantly :shocked: :​

7054462427_b43916d90d_z.jpg

yo dot dude,
might think about a little fertilator onto them ( just for laughs )
you have some time release pellets ( i think ) and could do a ½ teaspoon per pot without much chance
of burning if you water it in well

good growing
:hell:

p.s. any luck doing some volunteers ( just for laughs ) from the organic grow?

edited for typo et al.

what king of fert do you recommend that is available, at say, a big box store? I like the sound of pellets that you put in the dirt. Never used any fert yet being the n00b farmer that I am. :oops:

i use this one at a rate of about 3 tablespoons for a nursery number five pot at about three weeks apart worked into the top two inches and water in
http://merrifieldgardencenter.com/Products/Fertilizers/Flowers---Vegetable-Fertilizer/Espoma-Tomato-tone---4-lb.aspx

you could use this if you want also
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203106474/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=vigoro+tomato&storeId=10051

the tomato tone is organic have had good success with either or

good growing

Back