• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Downriver 2023 - Pepper Time

Like others, I debated on having a Glog this year, but figured “what the heck”. It's been fun in past years, so let's give it a go.

Hopefully we'll end up posting pictures like this later in the Season! 🤞

Peppers IMG_20220910_153327947_HDR.jpg

Great to see that the SBS Purple sprouted for you, DR! Those seeds had been hanging around a while.

I actually started another SBS Purple and it got to about 4" tall CD. They must taste REALLY good because the cat ate the whole thing! Most others he just pulled up or mangled. So, looks like I'm running solo with SBS Purple. Fingers crossed.

Off to a great start!
The Ghostly Jalapeno was a new acquaintance for me but seems very interesting. Will keep an eye on it and your opinions once it starts producing. It might be something for me grow next year.

I actually like this pepper @Ohjay. I only grew the orange last year. This year I'm growing both the orange and the red. Here's last years entry.

So, when I started the tomatoes I decided to start some "replacement" peppers for those that didn't sprout earlier. Fast-forward a few weeks to up-potting. I did several trays of tomatoes and a few peppers. Ran out of time and left the remainders on the table and forgot about them. I know better. Big Boy LOVES anything green. So overnight he enjoyed himself. Ate a few completely, pulled up several and mangled a few more. My fault. He's just a cat, lol. I managed to save four of the peppers, but have NO idea what they are. They are my ? peppers.

Mangles/salvaged ?'s

Cat damage IMG_20230420_101013811.jpg Cat damage IMG_20230420_102348735.jpg

Here's a family shot of most of the peppers yesterday. They're growing right at the pace I want. Plant-out isn't for at least another month. Hopefully they'll be just the right height by then.

Peppers IMG_20230420_102539509.jpg

Last edited:
So, just a quick update. The weather has finally warmed enough to move the peppers outside, so out they went to the shade of the carport a few days ago. There has been a few more casualties along the way but, for the most part, this year's gaggle is in pretty good shape. I need to do an inventory of what's out there. Then, maybe some pics. Stay tuned.

So, not much of an update but....

I took the plants outside about 10 days ago to start hardening off. Of course the forecast three days later called for frost. I hate schlepping plants, so I just stuck them in the covered bed of the truck and closed it up. Worked like a charm. In fact, I had to do this 3 times and the plants are no worse for wear. Plant out is imminent. Probably in the next couple days. More to come.

Peppers IMG_20230518_130524463.jpg Peppers - Frost IMG_20230517_185907254.jpg

I took the plants outside about 10 days ago to start hardening off. Of course the forecast three days later called for frost. I hate schlepping plants, so I just stuck them in the covered bed of the truck and closed it up. Worked like a charm. In fact, I had to do this 3 times and the plants are no worse for wear. Plant out is imminent. Probably in the next couple days. More to come.

Looking good mate! I just started to harden mine as we had the exact same "frost free nights followed by frost" sequence over and over again here too! Let's hope we ain't gonna talk about frost anymore, at least until next September🤞🤞 Good luck with your grow @Downriver

Looking good. No more frost here. I went for it after Mother’s Day.

What’s your elevation?

Thanks Chuck. We're in the Valley at only about 1000', but the garden is located downhill, in the 100 year flood plain of the river, at about 960'. It acts like a cold-sink and all the cold air collects in the river bottom. It's typically about 4 degrees colder down there. Even if there's not a threat of frost at the house, we still have to watch for frost in the bottom. It's usually "frost-free" by Memorial Day, which is my target for planting out, weather permitting.

Great looking plants and a novel frost shelter. Add a light or two and they could take some cold.

So, it's been a busy couple of weeks. Our target date for planting out was 5/31. We actually started a few days before that, so most of the peppers (48) were in the ground before June 1, about a week or two earlier than past years. Still need to mulch and get irrigation in place, but they're planted!

Peppers IMG_20230606_180109971.jpg

We still had several pepper plants left, so I prepped another row and they went into the ground a couple of days ago. Thirteen more planted, so that's 61 in the ground. As you can see, the “nursery” is getting smaller. Just a few peppers left (those 13 we just planted are still in this pic), and a few other things.

Plants - whats left IMG_20230608_180343271.jpg

We also planted my Bhut Jolokia Yellow x Paper Lantern Habanero cross I'm playing with in one of the raised beds. Four more plants = 65 in the ground.

(pic - where the hell's the pic?)

7 Pot Savannah (seeds from @wrinklenuts) Then there's the plants I'm growing in memory of Dustin. Six more plants = 71 peppers in the ground.

Pepper - 7 Pot Savannah IMG_20230607_161342356.jpg

There's are few plants left to be planted in grow bags and netted, for isolation purposes. Hope to do that in the next week or so.

Now, just for grins, here's a few random plants that went into the ground.

Super Chile (seeds from @WarrantMan pods) – these two guys are LOADED with flowers/pods. It'll be interesting to see what they grow up to look/taste like. Their parent sure was good.

Pepper - Super Chili IMG_20230527_161849792.jpg

Jalapeno, Mutijala F6 (seeds from @Fatalii Attraction) – obviously, the winner of the “Largest Jalapeno” contest is right here, soon to be born. It is interesting that both these plants have a “rough” texture to the leaves – almost like fine sandpaper. It might be some sort of malady, but I haven't seen it before and I never researched it. The way I figure, they'll grow out of it.....or not.

Pepper - Jalapeno Mutijala IMG_20230528_120452573.jpg Pepper - Jalapeno Mutijala IMG_20230528_120500532.jpg

SBS Ornamental (seeds from @CaneDog) This is one of the SBS varieties I'm growing out this year. I've not grown this one before, so it will be a surprise. It sure wants to grow. It's twice as tall as everybody else!

Pepper - SBS Orn IMG_20230605_183734715.jpg Pepper - SBS Orn IMG_20230605_155055092~2.jpg

Purple Thunder – Mystery dr6 (Original seeds from @PaulG) I was a little concerned about these plants as they were more on the green side but, once they were planted out, they're changing color nicely. Pods will tell the real story.

Pepper - Purple Thunder IMG_20230607_161442739~2.jpg Pepper - Purple Thunder IMG_20230607_161426058~2.jpg

'Til next time.

Back