• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dr. Havanger's 2008 Grow Journal

24 days old, first nutes

Watered my plants yesterday with their first taste of nutes at about 1/6 the recommended dose. I should have fed them on Tuesday, but was too busy and forgot to :beer: :oops: It's taking about 3 to 4 days to get the soil dry for the next watering, 5 days is too long for sure.

note to self: use more perlite, sand and less soil next time.

Do you really have your grow light up 4 feet above the plants? I thought that you want to have it closer to them so they won't get leggy (like 12-14 inches).

Is that not correct?

I moved it down to 1 foot for a day last week, but the plants were too young and actually leaned away from the light :lol: Right now the light is about 2.5~3 ft from the plants. I'll try to take a picture of some that were affected. Thinking about using them to try out lst :)

Edit:

prob wont have time to take pictures to night :beer:

27 days old

Leaning plants

This one was like the two above but it's slowly standing back up

The two plants that are sharing a pot are still my better plants

thx for posting doc cuz im right about where u are with my plants,and have all the same questions :) i also have a hps light but from my research dont we need a metal halide in this stage??? i also noticed mine do a little better further from the lights than recommended, even with the floro lights ?? my 1st time growing anything so these 1st peppers are an experiment

jh35ky123 said:
thx for posting doc cuz im right about where u are with my plants,and have all the same questions :) i also have a hps light but from my research dont we need a metal halide in this stage??? i also noticed mine do a little better further from the lights than recommended, even with the floro lights ?? my 1st time growing anything so these 1st peppers are an experiment

Right, MH would be ideal to have for growing and HPS for flowering. I went with HPS becuase the plants will be flowering longer than they would be growing (don't know if that's the correct term for the stages before flowering). For me, the plants that are having a bad time are the plants are on the middle row, see below. The inside and outside rows seem to be doing ok. As expected some of the outside row plants aren't growing as fast as the inside row plants, I'd move them around, but it's quite a task

Here is what my grow space looks like
s are the seedlings who will be thrown out eventualy
f is the fan
l is the lamp
* are plants

|--|** ---
|-s|** |f|
|--|** ---
***|L|***
***|_|***
***___***

DrHavanger, can I ask a favor? Could you make your picture files a little smaller? I'm on dial up, and it literally takes 10 minutes or more to download your posts.

Pam said:
DrHavanger, can I ask a favor? Could you make your picture files a little smaller? I'm on dial up, and it literally takes 10 minutes or more to download your posts.

Done, if people are so inclined, they can click on the small picture that will bring up the full sized picture. :)

Pam said:

Wow he made them all small. Nice work Doc.

DrHavanger said:
Done, if people are so inclined, they can click on the small picture that will bring up the full sized picture. :)

Thank you!

I hated not being able to see what everyone else was talking about; I like being in the middle of all the fun.

~50 days old

It's been a while since I've posted an update here. Since my last post I went on vaca and brought my plants (and cat) over to my parents with specific instructions on where to put them and when to feed them, which they completely ignored :mad: :twisted: :mouthonfire: 3 have passed away and several have teeth holes in their leaves. Because of this I've looked into a setup that will automatically water my plants, which I'm still working on and would like to complete by end of day.

~50 days old continued

Now the part you've all been waiting for, updated pics

Some of my plants have decided that they are going to start to branch/bush out on the top

The two below started to branch out lower instead of up top.

The first bud of the season is coming from the pot with two plants

DrHavanger said:
At 13 days, I completed transplanting 30 of the plants to pots. When I started to pot the plants I was keeping track of the different types of plants, though that became too much of a hastle, so I stopped. The soil is a 50/50 mixture of Potting Soil and Perlite. The other remaining plants I have sectioned off into two seedling beds. One is for the tall plants and the other is for the plants that are just starting to germinate.

Question - when you transplanted the jiffy pellets, did you tear off the "cloth like" material around them, or did you transplant them as is?

Sydtunes said:
Question - when you transplanted the jiffy pellets, did you tear off the "cloth like" material around them, or did you transplant them as is?

Good question, some of them fell off during the process of transplanting and others didn't. When transplanting, I remember seeing on some of the plants, that their roots were starting to come out, so I don't think it would inhibit root growth.

I also used the peat pellets for my seeds, but I also used a tray with cover. What I found was that when I took the cover off the tray to let the plants harden a little bit, they would dry out to quickly. In fact I lost most of my seedlings because the pellets turned hard as a rock after a few days!

I took the mesh off all the pellets I transplanted and this seemed to have worked fine...

The peat that I'm using appears to have pieces of wood in it, which I would imagine help retain water and prevent it drying out so quickly.

Back