Dragon Cayenne

I need to take pictures of my dragon! I have not checked it in a while...

Looks like I need to pull a few...

10972_842740169093044_4116726920477200008_n.jpg

Ok, now I am the slow one....I thought this was Thai Dragons lol - The above is not a Cayenne but a Thai Dragon.

Hey this is my first post and im new to this forum. im also picked up a dragon cayenne in the beginning of summer and its looks different then your here is a picture of it and some of the pods.
2uzec93.jpg
and 
1440ia.jpg
. im excited to join this site and learn about hot peppers!

cattledecapp said:
Hey this is my first post and im new to this forum. im also picked up a dragon cayenne in the beginning of summer and its looks different then your here is a picture of it and some of the pods.
2uzec93.jpg
and 
1440ia.jpg
. im excited to join this site and learn about hot peppers!
It doesn't look different from mine at all!  Very nice plant!

You guys with the longer season kill me, I haven't seen any Dragon Cayennes, although they did have some of Joe's long thick cayenne which I like, but didn't buy.   I quit buying plants as most were wrongly labeled, I got a yellow ornamental that was supposed to be a long Thai pepper, tasted like crap.  This year I grew a African Cayenne type and a Pakistani pepper that for me are very mild while everyone else say they are blazing hot they are both great pickled or dried for making a tasty mild powder.
Oh yes nice photos everyone really like your dragon Cayenne plant, cattledecapp, do you know if they are hotter than the usual cayenne?

Picked a few fresh red pods today and found them relatively tame.  They definitely seem to gain heat after changing color.  Let them simmer in the vine for a week or so...

wildseed57 said:
You guys with the longer season kill me, I haven't seen any Dragon Cayennes, although they did have some of Joe's long thick cayenne which I like, but didn't buy.   I quit buying plants as most were wrongly labeled, I got a yellow ornamental that was supposed to be a long Thai pepper, tasted like crap.  This year I grew a African Cayenne type and a Pakistani pepper that for me are very mild while everyone else say they are blazing hot they are both great pickled or dried for making a tasty mild powder.

Oh yes nice photos everyone really like your dragon Cayenne plant, cattledecapp, do you know if they are hotter than the usual cayenne?
I wish i could tell you if it is hotter then a usuak cayenne but i never had a fresh cayenne pod that is why i started to grow peppers this year. i can tell the green ones seem hotter then the red one but the reds ones are nice with alittle less heat.

Yeh green cayennes like most green unripe C. annuums have a grassy taste while still green, others like habaneros are less grassy while green, most will taste much better when they get ripe, but the waiting time is a real headache to be polite.  Right now I'm waiting on several species to turn ripe so I can taste them and use them for my powders and sauces.

One thing that bothers me is the profiles of these cayennes they remind me of Thai Dragon pepper to much and I wonder if this is some sort of Hybrid Cayenne X Thai Dragon cross as the pods are smaller than some of the regular cayennes that i have grown it will be interesting to see what they will look like the second time around when you grow them again. if the pods are stable they should look like this seasons pick if not the plants and pods will be all over the place and you might get pods that look like Thai peppers and or long ones that look more like cayennes. This of course is just my two cents as I could be wrong.

ikeepfish said:
Mine is bushing as well right now after the first wave and is loaded with new growth and buds.  I'll add another pic here once they start to set.  It's very prolific.

Roo said:
"Very" is an understatement! I have two of these guys in my garden and I can't use them fast enough. I've been making jelly with them (first batch had 8 peppers, second had 9 and still could've used more kick) but I can only eat so much jelly and I only know a couple people who are at all interested in spicy things. I don't know what to do with all my little dragons! They sure are excellent in scramble

I'm still in mild shock - "Prolific" doesn't quite suffice to describe this plant.  Every square inch is covered in buds, flowers, or pods.

Gonna  overwinter this monster for sure!

Prolific!.jpg

OK so I ate a golden cayenne later and it was about 1.5x as hot. Much hotter than the classic red and significantly hotter than than the dragon. Maybe it was just that these were so much bigger thus introducing that much more oil?

ColdSmoke said:
OK so I ate a golden cayenne later and it was about 1.5x as hot. Much hotter than the classic red and significantly hotter than than the dragon. Maybe it was just that these were so much bigger thus introducing that much more oil?
So you are saying it is hotter than a hab? Something doesn't seem right about that :)

The heat my plant produces seems to vary quite a bit.  A few pods were Cayenne++, but most score lower.  Leaving red pods on the plant for a while helps, but even then there seems to be a fair range of variation.

Agree - being so small, it's hard to compare these to a much bigger Cayenne, Hab, etc. fruit.

I'm just happy that it grows and produces so well.  Most of my plants dropped and/or stopped setting flowers back in July due to the heat.  Once the cooler monsoon climate arrived in mid-summer, the Dragon was the first to set fruit, and it remains by far the most productive plant this season.

I've heard many people claiming golden cayennes being as hot or hotter than habanero. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
So you are saying it is hotter than a hab? Something doesn't seem right about that :)

ColdSmoke said:
You must know from experience then? I just experienced it and I say they are damn close. 
I think the way annuums attack people over chinense is the difference. I eat so many Thai types that I am rarely impacted anymore. 

My ripe dragon cayennes are pretty hot. I'd crudely estimate 50-100K, which is what I see cayenne and thai commonly listed at. They have that quick "whoosh" tongue heat that's mostly gone a minute later, common to many of the hotter annuums. A good habanero has that slow build, common to c. chinense, which can take 30 seconds or so to peak and much longer to dissipate. But yeah, much hotter overall.

It's very interesting how the different [SIZE=13.63636302948px]capsaicinoids[/SIZE] combos affect our taste buds. Sometimes thai, cayenne, pequin, tabasco kick my butt pretty bad. Maybe because I'm more willing to chomp a bunch whole while in the garden.

Back