• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dragon Cayenne

bpiela said:
Anyone have any Dragon Cayenne seeds for trade/sell? It doesn't look like Bonnie will be sending any plants to the Lowe's or Home Depot's around North Jersey.
If nobody hooks you up, check Walmart. I got one plant last year up here in CT, overwintered it and hopefully it grows larger this year. It was a runt last season but produced some nice tasty hot peppers.

Valleyman said:
If nobody hooks you up, check Walmart. I got one plant last year up here in CT, overwintered it and hopefully it grows larger this year. It was a runt last season but produced some nice tasty hot peppers.

He's got seeds in the mail.

If anyone else wants some, just holler!

They have tons at my local Home Depot. Be sure to check Home Depot, Lowes, and like stores. Then pray they were labeled correctly. I've purchased a few pepper plants over the years that were mislabeled >.<

FWIW, the local H.D. is into the $2-a-pot phase of the season, but Lowes is the one with the Dragon Cayenne. 

Not that I need another young plant or even more Dragon pods.

I did pop some of my OP Dragon seeds in the ground last week; they have sprouted quite nicely.

Geonerd said:
FWIW, the local H.D. is into the $2-a-pot phase of the season, but Lowes is the one with the Dragon Cayenne.

Not that I need another young plant or even more Dragon pods.

I did pop some of my OP Dragon seeds in the ground last week; they have sprouted quite nicely.
Wal-mart also has the Dragon Cayennes as well, but the ones I purchased are not growing true. I created a thread in the pepper I.D. forum discussing the four Dragon Cayenne plants that I purchased at two different times, at two different places. I'm currently communicating with Bonnie via email about them.

And we're up to speed.   :dance:   My lone, slightly scraggly, plant is cranking out around 11~12 pods per day.  Day after day after day...

The only drawback is that it still hasn't gotten around to replacing all the year-old leaves, and it shows little interest in growing new branches.
If it repeats last year's behavior, it will start growing again during the heat of the summer, when flower and pod production dropped to a comparative crawl.

I'm growing golden cayenne and the dragon cayenne. Bought some pepper plants like yall last year and they didn't survive the winter but after reading this thread I remembered I had seed.

These are fun plants to grow and in my experience every so often a golden cayenne grows that is pretty close to the Habs I've had, but like previously stated it doesn't come on the same way.

Posting an early season East Coast pic of the Dragon Cayenne's I got from Home Depot this year. They are doing well and are just beginning to push out some flowers.

6p6PA5a.jpg

Damn! I think Bonnie screwed me over on these plants. Here is a pic of one of my "Dragon Cayenne's". The peppers are about 2" long and with a little curl to them.

From the looks of the peppers that they sell, I think I might have gotten Chile de Arbol's instead. Argh! Here is a pic. Not the clearest, but you can see two peppers and they look longer than they should be.

73aR3Tm.jpg

If you go up to lowes/home depot and it looks like no one is buying the hot pepper plants. Offer them 1 dollar. I picked up a producing, mature hab plant for 1.00, and it was labeled 13

I have tried growing Dragon Cayenne's three times before, and they keep getting infested with aphids, who then infect them with diseases and then Voila! Dead Plant. I have been researching them and found out that 1 quart water, 1 tbsp dishwashing soap, and a pinch of pepper powder in a spray bottle works really well. Also aluminum foil mulch is supposed to work as well. I'll be getting one of the huge 13 dollar Dragon Cayenne plants this fall. I'll also be growing them in partial shade (3-6 hours depending on the season), as I've heard the cayenne peppers do well in the shade.

I would also appreciate any tips or suggestions anyone could offer. Thanks!

Quackduck7864 said:
I have tried growing Dragon Cayenne's three times before, and they keep getting infested with aphids, who then infect them with diseases and then Voila! Dead Plant. I have been researching them and found out that 1 quart water, 1 tbsp dishwashing soap, and a pinch of pepper powder in a spray bottle works really well. Also aluminum foil mulch is supposed to work as well. I'll be getting one of the huge 13 dollar Dragon Cayenne plants this fall. I'll also be growing them in partial shade (3-6 hours depending on the season), as I've heard the cayenne peppers do well in the shade.

I would also appreciate any tips or suggestions anyone could offer. Thanks!

Are you growing inside or out?

Down here in Tucson, there are a few weeks in the spring when the aphids really take off and I start to worry a bit.  But after a short while the wasps, lacewings, ladybugs, etc. show up like the cavalry and take care of the problem.   If you're growing inside, try putting the plants out at night and hope some local predators show up.

Geonerd, could you please post an updated pic of your gigantic Dragon Cayenne?

Myself, I will never learn.  I stopped by Home Depot on Sunday to pick up some electrical stuff and I walked by the peppers and saw this bucket of four Dragon Cayenne's for $3.33 (3 buckets for $10, 4 plants per bucket) so I bought it.  My dumb mind is hoping that these will be the correct plants.  If even one of them produces pods like I expect (and that is all I ask), I will OW that bastid.  My other two buckets were labeled Jalapeno and Red Bell.  Who knows what I will get.  ;)

Geonerd said:

Are you growing inside or out?

Down here in Tucson, there are a few weeks in the spring when the aphids really take off and I start to worry a bit.  But after a short while the wasps, lacewings, ladybugs, etc. show up like the cavalry and take care of the problem.   If you're growing inside, try putting the plants out at night and hope some local predators show up.
I was growing them outside on a patio that only gets morning sun. The aphids were a huge problem, but the only natural predators I've seen are the garden spiders. I was also growing them in southern Phoenix, in Hardiness Zone 10A. I am excited to try them again this fall!  :)  

I also heard that we are going have have the coldest winter we've ever had down here in Phoenix like since the 90s. I'm going try to overwinter some Dragon's this year too. Gonna need some frost protection. Maybe a plastic trash bag? Should it be white or black?

bpiela said:
Geonerd, could you please post an updated pic of your gigantic Dragon Cayenne?

Myself, I will never learn.  I stopped by Home Depot on Sunday to pick up some electrical stuff and I walked by the peppers and saw this bucket of four Dragon Cayenne's for $3.33 (3 buckets for $10, 4 plants per bucket) so I bought it.  My dumb mind is hoping that these will be the correct plants.  If even one of them produces pods like I expect (and that is all I ask), I will OW that bastid.  My other two buckets were labeled Jalapeno and Red Bell.  Who knows what I will get.  ;)

Wish I could.  The plant has largely refused to grow this year, and is still hanging onto 2014's old gnarly leaves.  I may have damaged the roots when transplanting from the tired Wallybag to a ~5g pot.  It's still cranking pods, but they are small, runty things. 

Here's what is looked like last year.
Prolific!.jpg

IMG_0930s.JPG

I take it you like the powder I sent.  Hopefully at least one of your Bonnie plants will grow true.  ;)

bpiela said:
Damn! I think Bonnie screwed me over on these plants. Here is a pic of one of my "Dragon Cayenne's". The peppers are about 2" long and with a little curl to them.

From the looks of the peppers that they sell, I think I might have gotten Chile de Arbol's instead. Argh! Here is a pic. Not the clearest, but you can see two peppers and they look longer than they should be.

73aR3Tm.jpg
Chile de Arbol has upright, waxy, hard pods - as they are a more wild pepper type. They are also more prolific than what is shown.

edit: I believe that there is a more domesticated version that hangs a bit more pendant, and is less waxy, and longer.

I had two nursery bought cayennes exactly like this plant last year, they look like a strain of cayenne to me.

Back