• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dragon Cayenne

1st time growing dragon cayenne. Bought it for chump change and I'm up to my ears in peppers! Much quicker to ripen than reg cayenne too.

And quite hot. I'd put it at 80shu. It bites more than a Hab but dissipates quickly like a Serrano. Great to cook with or on a hotdog. I have some non chili head friends that had tears over a tiny bite. The golden is hotter too. Mine turned orange on vine. Def gotta be a Thai influence.

I picked up a Dragon cayenne, and it seems to be growing quite well, even though its has been slowed with the mild cold weather. It looks like it will make an excellent powder.
I have a golden cayenne, and I have to admit something. I don't believe its extremely hot, but it is extremely painful! This was a surprise and a sleeper for me. I also don't believe it is a true cayenne. It might have cayenne like peppers, but it grows, looks amd tastes different. This pepper has a more painful bite than many superhots, at least for me! That might sound crazy, but the pain is very prickly, almost stabbing, stinging like pain, and it lasts longer. I guess I am not used to these. I have been consuming mainly the types just slightly under superhot status. Here comes the kicker; the Golden Cayenne causes me more pain than the Scorpions. I understand that it is not actually hotter, but it is more painful to me than most habs, and even some supers.

I've noticed that, since last September, my tolerance for habs has increased. It's no longer uncomfortable to eat a single hab, although it still tastes very hot. I've found that i still have the same limits for hot spices other than peppers. Substituting dry mustard or black pepper, and seasoning a plateful of food till it tastes as hot as i like, can give me some distress. I had heartburn comparable to eating 3-4 habs on an empty stomach.

Obviously, developing a tolerance for peppers doesn't cause me to develop a simultaneously higher tolerance for the chemically different essential oils of mustard or black pepper.

Superhots may have a different capsaicinoid profile than golden cayennes. If superhots' capsaicinoid profiles have a predominance of (for example) capsaicin, with absolutely no capsaicinoid 'X', then your body's chemistry might be sufficiently discriminating that it develops tolerance for the capsaicin without changing its response to capsaicinoid 'X' one whit.
Consume an arguably milder pepper -- but one whose capsaicinoid profile consists exclusively of capsaicinoid 'X' -- and you will find your body's responses may be like my own when i use too much horseradish, eat a handful of radishes, or whatever.

mikeg said:
I've noticed that, since last September, my tolerance for habs has increased. It's no longer uncomfortable to eat a single hab, although it still tastes very hot. I've found that i still have the same limits for hot spices other than peppers. Substituting dry mustard or black pepper, and seasoning a plateful of food till it tastes as hot as i like, can give me some distress. I had heartburn comparable to eating 3-4 habs on an empty stomach.

Obviously, developing a tolerance for peppers doesn't cause me to develop a simultaneously higher tolerance for the chemically different essential oils of mustard or black pepper.

Superhots may have a different capsaicinoid profile than golden cayennes. If superhots' capsaicinoid profiles have a predominance of (for example) capsaicin, with absolutely no capsaicinoid 'X', then your body's chemistry might be sufficiently discriminating that it develops tolerance for the capsaicin without changing its response to capsaicinoid 'X' one whit.
Consume an arguably milder pepper -- but one whose capsaicinoid profile consists exclusively of capsaicinoid 'X' -- and you will find your body's responses may be like my own when i use too much horseradish, eat a handful of radishes, or whatever.
Very true. I believe there are several different capsaicinoids, with some of them having distinctive profiles and effects. I believe there might be more that have not been discovered yet. Its funny you mention horseradish, because I recently started a new ferment I call total burn. It has 12-15 different peppers with different chemical profiles, so some have an immediate rush of heat, some build. Some are very prickly, and some are not, but are extremely hot, with a high amount of the regular capsaicin. I also added horseradish for a different burn, along with a very spicy mustard green that has a similar effect on the sinuses like the horseradish. This one is supposed to hit you from different angles. I can't wait to give this one away :twisted:

Fascinating recipe for a hot sauce!

The hottest mustard green i ever tasted was the 'Giant Red'. In cool weather, it's essentially a sweeter version of red leaf lettuce. In hot weather (ie.: cabbage looper season) it gets right fierce with mustard oil. A single leaf in a roast beef sandwich puts any commercial horseradish to shame, and i used to pile on the beef slices and slice the bread thick -- to absorb or buffer the heat a bit.

I corresponded with another member months ago about C. pubescens (manzano/rocoto/locato peppers). He said that the significantly diffeent capsainoid profile in these fruits allowed him to enjoy very spicy food with no heartburn.

I use C. chinense peppers to treat a painful neuropathic condition. On a bad day i walk like i'm made of glass, and stumble frequently. If i munch a habanero, i look and act like a man in perfect health.
A somewhat larger dose of C. annuum peppers works... and gives my digestion enough grief that i'd almost rather put up with the neuropathy.

As we learn more about the different capsaicinoid fractions in various peppers, i like to think that peppers will be more useful in medicine.

...i notice i've strayed well away from the topic of this thread, but thank you for this. I've never started a thread on the medicine topic, as i am still collecting info.

mikeg
does any C. chinense peppers work to treat a painful neuropathic condition. or just certain ones I have neuropathy in both my legs but the right is really bad dr has me on some strong meds but they don't help and dr thinks that's not good so I am off them there are days I cant walk from the pain so if peppers work I be eating a lot of them.

The short answer is that all the chinenses i have tried so far have worked. The relative effectiveness varies a bit. Obviously, a ghost pepper, being about 5 times hotter, requires smaller doses than a hab. To date, i've only tried ghosts and habs.

I have Morton's Neuroma in both feet. The only chinenses i have experimented with are dried ghost peppers, dried habs, and produce-counter orange habs... and the one fresh ghost pepper, last September, from my first attempt at growing my own (we have a bit of a problem locally with deer).

The fresh orange habs from the produce-counter are the least effective. They ARE effective, moreso than any annuum i've tried. They also have a bitter, metallic taint to them like saltpeter and -- faintly -- like bread mold. There is usually some mild nausea from repeated use, but this may be partly due to the fact that they taste like crap. Then again, the only other vegetables that have that taste are any produce grown by using large doses of chemical fertilizers: a friend used idiotic amounts of 20-20-20 when growing lettuce once, and you'd have thought some prankster had added a teaspoon of saltpeter to the salad on your plate if you tried eating it... but i digress.
The most effective was the ghost i grew myself. The single pepper -- about dill-pickle-sized -- kept me mobile and my pain minimal for 3-4 days. I used small portions of it a couple/few times a day for that time period. I have noticed a slight tolerance/diminution of painkiller effect with habitual use: that same homegrown beauty would probably be good for 2-3 days if i ate it all over again.

A sufficient dose has been taken, approximately, when i have a wet scalp from that "sweat-rush" that seems to accompany consumption of habs and ghosts. A few minutes after that, i can walk without snarling and whimpering like a whipped dog.

I have no experience with Capsicums baccatum or pubescens. There may also be different responses that different people have to various peppers ("One man's drink is another's poison", more or less).
If you find that eating enough hot peppers to treat your neuropathy is tough on your stomach, consider topical applications (liniments, etc.). I found that these work best on an area NEAR -- but not ON -- the afflicted area. This avenue of treatment wasn't quite as good for me, but does help.

I hope this somewhat rambling post of mine is some help. I can certainly sympathise.

I don't have enough data to start a thread on the medicinal uses of peppers, but i rather wish there was one. I think i've hijacked this thread about as much as can be tolerated.

thanks for the info it helps I am going a lot of peppers this year I get tired of the burning searing pain in legs so I am going to try this.

found info on the dragon cayenne pepper on Bonnies plant site
http://m.bonnieplants.com/varieties/tabid/61/id/428/Dragon-Cayenne.aspx
and the seeds on Burpees site.
http://reviews.burpee.com/1031/100332/reviews.htm

found seeds for dragon cayenne at cooks site and it does not show that its a hybrid
http://www.cooksgarden.com/product:prod001382-CKS/hot-pepper-dragon-cayenne-prod001382-cks.html

bonnies site also does not show dragon cayenne as a hybrid

Think I will get some seeds and grow out and see if they stay the same or show different varieties

I successfully overwintered my Dragon.

A windstorm last fall blew it off the table, breaking one or two of the major branches off.  :(
OW_Dragon04.jpg

The old leaves look mighty tired.
OW_Dragon02.jpg

But the plant is perking up in the warm desert weather.  New growth and bunches of buds are popping up beneath the bedraggled yellow.
OW_Dragon03.jpg

More pods, coming right up!  :)
OW_Dragon01.jpg

I'm kind of ashamed that I didn't overwinter this strain.  I did save seeds for it though, wasn't planning on growing any but it's not too late.  They're so prolific that I don't think I'll regret it.

Just picked 40~50 smaller-than-usual pods off my overwintered plant.  The earliest ones were downright runty, presumably stunted by the cold Feb and March nights.  The newer pods are nearly full size and there are bazillions more in the pipeline.  With another month to go before the stupid heat arrives to slow down production, I'll be swimming in the things.  :)

This pepper makes one of my favorite powders that is good for a quick blast of heat. It's replaced cayenne as my 'standard' heating additive.

Helvete said:
I'm kind of ashamed that I didn't overwinter this strain.  I did save seeds for it though, wasn't planning on growing any but it's not too late.  They're so prolific that I don't think I'll regret it.

Another $2~3 will get you another one easily enough!

I've heard many people claiming golden cayennes being as hot or hotter than habanero. 

Actually this has been my experience! :) That's golden cayennes I have grown compared to orange habs I purchased from the supermarket.

I just added Dragon Cayenne to my pepper collection :) Put it in a 6 gallon Home Depot bucket. Seems like the consensus is that it's a cross between a cayenne and a thai? That would be sweet.

Spicy Mushroom said:
I just added Dragon Cayenne to my pepper collection :) Put it in a 6 gallon Home Depot bucket. Seems like the consensus is that it's a cross between a cayenne and a thai? That would be sweet.
It does seem to have that frutescens heat. Of the very few I have going, this seems to be doing the best. It appears to be resistant to pests as well.

Picked another ~30 pods today.  Most are still a bit smaller than average but the size at ripeness is increasing and there are hundreds of flowers starting to blossom. The new foliage is coming along nicely; soon the plant will be back to peak condition!  :)

Anyone have any Dragon Cayenne seeds for trade/sell? It doesn't look like Bonnie will be sending any plants to the Lowe's or Home Depot's around North Jersey.

bpiela said:
Anyone have any Dragon Cayenne seeds for trade/sell? It doesn't look like Bonnie will be sending any plants to the Lowe's or Home Depot's around North Jersey.

I have gobs of OP seeds, grown in close proximity to a wide variety of peppers.  (The plant sets so many flowers at once, I suspect the odds of a cross are somewhat reduced.)

Got any interesting Baccatums or mild-medium Annum or Chinense varieties?

Just starting to get my seed collection going. Most seeds I have are OP from plants that I grew last season. I don't have many "interesting" varieties. I do have many White Fatalii and Gourmet Jigsaw Fatalii seeds and lots of Aji Pineapple seeds. Those plants really did well for me last year, hence the large amount of seeds. Also, I have a bunch of seeds from a red Habanero that I got from PepperJoe that he calls the Tazmanian Habanero. Any of these sound interesting??

I started a thread yesterday about the four Bonnie plants I purchased two weeks apart, from two different places that were all labeled Dragon Cayenne, but are all producing pods that are around 4 inches in length. This thread is what inspired me to buy them as a cross between a Thai and a cayenne has always interested me, but I think Bonnie got it's wires crossed on these this year.

The plants I grew last year had mostly pods that were 2-3 inches long.  I never started any seeds but saw that they have tons of them at the local hardware store (covered in aphids, I might add)

I'm probably gonna pick up a couple of them in a few weeks when I'm planting out around May 10 or so.

Back