• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Dry Aged Meats

March 2013
2704E24D00000578-3013272-image-m-54_1427391624608.jpg

August 2014
2704E25900000578-3013272-image-a-55_1427391645669.jpg

Didnt have a chance to get this started in time for the 4th so we gave up, we ended up doing a smoked brisket and ribs on the 4th. The wife has got a birthday coming up so thought I'd cook up some steaks for her and the in-laws. Got it started over the weekend so hopefully it turns out as intended. The vacum sealer didnt suck out as much air as I'd hoped or thought it was supposed to, there were a few air pockets still left on the meat after sealing. According to the instructions that came with the bags though it only requires a 80-90% bond (if I remember right). The first week is where the "bond" between the meat and the bag will form. After 48 hours everything appears to be going as planned and the bag seems to be in full contact with the meat now. 

Day 1--
1.jpg

2.jpg

More updates to follow...........

Cool.

Did you leave the liquid/slimy funk on the meat? ...

I know when I read about those, it's recommended to not rinse the meat when using them.

CHEERS!

So after roughly a 39 day age, I decided to cut into this and give it a try. Recommended is a 28 day cure but always had something going on over the weekend so I decided to let it keep aging. Some folks would say that not much is gained after 28 days in ways of taste but after 28 days you are actually loosing more because of additional triming needed. Anyways.....here it is.

Out of the bag....meat is dry and has a sort of jerky crust on the outside. Looks just as I was hoping
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

The crust was pretty tough to cut through but I managed ok. Here is first cut
4.JPG

Scraps, Ive heard these can be saved and used to make a beef stock. I do some more checking, but thats my plan
5.JPG

Crust removed
6.JPG

STEAKS!!!
7.JPG

8.JPG

Off the grill and ready to eat
9.JPG

10.JPG

In comparison to aged vs right off the grocery shelves I would say there is deffinatly a difference the meat texture, the aged meat is very tightly packed you can kinda see that in steak pics above. There is a slightly more "meater" taste imo, very tender but in reality I dont think much more tender than a non-aged rib-eye steak. This was a fun experiment with great rewards, I enjoyed the process and of course the end results. Family are comin over this weekend so guess whats on the menu? 

Cheers!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looks awesome! So the lesson is the save the 39 days and buy a good ribeye at the store and slap it on the grill. 

Thanks for posting the pics and process
Exactly what I was thinking. Seems like a long time and exhaustive process to get something that isn't knock-your-socks-off delicious. 

I'm not sure if you all have seen these: 

https://www.steaklocker.com/index.cfm

Basically it is a wine fridge for steak, to dry age meat just like the pros do. I was looking into them when trying to find a good curing chamber for charcuterie. Alas, for the price, you can cobble together a curing chamber with an old fridge, humidifier, and some controllers for about 1/5th the price. 

If only those capsicum dollars seeds would haver germinated my money tree would be flowering right now...

pa1966stang said:
Exactly what I was thinking. Seems like a long time and exhaustive process to get something that isn't knock-your-socks-off delicious. 

I'm not sure if you all have seen these: 

https://www.steaklocker.com/index.cfm

Basically it is a wine fridge for steak, to dry age meat just like the pros do. I was looking into them when trying to find a good curing chamber for charcuterie. Alas, for the price, you can cobble together a curing chamber with an old fridge, humidifier, and some controllers for about 1/5th the price. 

If only those capsicum dollars seeds would haver germinated my money tree would be flowering right now...

Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's nice!!!!! :) Not a bad price if you want to get into this more seriously a great purchase. Nice find pa 66stang :)

Back