• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Easy Salsa

Tomatoes on sale at store and just recieved some yellow morugas from elcap1999, so thought it be a good time to replenish the salsa stock.

7-7.5 lbs of tomatoes (i used roma)--pulsed in food processor/or diced
1/4 cup salt
juice of 2 limes
1 red onion--diced
1 yellow onion---diced
5 pobalanos--seeded, stemed and diced
5 green bell peppers--seeded, stemed and diced
20 Jalapenos--seeded, stemed and diced
2 cans of corn (optional)
2 cans black beans (optional)
=PH of 3.6

Onions
1.jpg

Poblano and bell
2.jpg

jalapenos and corn
3.jpg

tomaotes pulsed in food processor/salt/lime
4.jpg

everybody in the pool
5.jpg

Heat salsa to boiling and kill the heat

In clean sanitized jars fill some heat of your choice....
mine: first three have one fresh yellow moruga each, then 1 dried red bhut, and 1 dried brown bhut.
6.jpg

Fill with salsa mixture and water bath accordingly
7.jpg

Finished will be chunky style salsa with some crunch
8.jpg

ENJOY!!!

compmodder26 said:
Growing my own tomatoes this year for this very purpose.  Gonna have to give your recipe a try!

Since you are growing your own tomato this year this is what I do with the excess instead of canning...... Simply slice the tomatoes in half and place on a baking sheet with onions and garlic, salt and pepper.  Drizzle with a good olive oil and roast in the over for 30 minutes at 400 degree F. 

When the tomatoes cool, remove the skins and place in a food processor or blender and give them a rough chop or puree them if you like.  Now you can place this mixture in the freezer, I find it much easier than canning and the cost of all those jars and time doing it. 

Heck, I still have  10-12 obne gallon freezer bags full of tomato from last season.  Of course if you dont have the extra freezer space this method is no good. 

cheers

I am growing Brandywine tomatoes this year.  I was hoping they would be good for salsa.  Beefsteaks and Floridades too.  I will definitely keep this recipe in mind when I get enough tom's to make salsa.  

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Tomatoes that are good on burgers never seem to be ones for salsa IMO. I like to use sauce tomatoes for all sauces, salsas and pico like the Roma
I agree, using fresh slicing tomatoes is going to water down your salsa 

LowDrag said:

So not the Brandywines, Beefsteaks and Floridades???    :cry:
There are some techniques that i can think of if I were going to use these types of tomtoes heres a few ideas that come to mind on how I would attack it..

Option 1. (first choice). Dice tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and let them sit in a collender over night....youll be amazed at how much juice comes from them. Save the juice incase you feel you need to add some back into salsa.
Option 2. Follow recipe accordingly but cook on stovetop a little longer to reduce. You will loose the crunch of the salsa but thats ok.
Option 3. Skip the stove, and instead of dicing, pulse vegetables (omit corn and beans if using this method) in food processor or blender. Can and process...your result should end up something like this.
Family-Recipe-Meesans-Homemade-Salsa-Honey-and-Nonno.jpg

instead of something chunky like PACE.

Give it a go with a small batch and see what you think.
Enjoy and Have Fun

I tried this recipe last night with some Habanero's and some with Serrano's.  We were eating it fresh so I did not HW bath or boil it.  I was able to eat the Habanero salsa and it didn't bother my stomach at all.  In fact my stomach feels pretty good this morning.  I tried the Habanero salsa again this morning and it is still setting well with the old gut so far.  I haven't tried the Serrano version yet but I am thinking I need to add more Serrano's because at 1 1/2 Hab's/qt it was barely even hot so 1 Serrano probably isn't going to even flavor the salsa.  

One other question...my salsa turned out looking like yours did in the jar but your last pic has so much more red coloring to it.  Is there a trick to keeping it red and not pink?

Thanks

jimbo53 said:
Looks like a good option for my fresh picked peppers and tomatoes..
and will taste alot better with fresh tomatos! Just be sure to take a look at my last post, fresh tomatoes have so much more juice than store bought.

LowDrag said:
I tried this recipe last night with some Habanero's and some with Serrano's.  We were eating it fresh so I did not HW bath or boil it.  I was able to eat the Habanero salsa and it didn't bother my stomach at all.  In fact my stomach feels pretty good this morning.  I tried the Habanero salsa again this morning and it is still setting well with the old gut so far.  I haven't tried the Serrano version yet but I am thinking I need to add more Serrano's because at 1 1/2 Hab's/qt it was barely even hot so 1 Serrano probably isn't going to even flavor the salsa.  

One other question...my salsa turned out looking like yours did in the jar but your last pic has so much more red coloring to it.  Is there a trick to keeping it red and not pink?

Thanks
Glad it worked out for ya. The salsa by itself is pretty sweet tasting so needs quite a bit of heat if thats what your after. I make the mild for the wife, but if I'm eating the mild I just add powder to heat it up. Never had a problem with the color, mine turns out looking like typical Pace salsa. The last pic is not mine, I just posted to show what would look like if using fresh tomatoes and blended into a puree type salsa. If your after more color, I would experiment with adding a bit of tomato paste to the pot, shouldnt alter the flavor to much and give you more of that red color your after.

beerbreath81 said:
and will taste alot better with fresh tomatos! Just be sure to take a look at my last post, fresh tomatoes have so much more juice than store bought.

Glad it worked out for ya. The salsa by itself is pretty sweet tasting so needs quite a bit of heat if thats what your after. I make the mild for the wife, but if I'm eating the mild I just add powder to heat it up. Never had a problem with the color, mine turns out looking like typical Pace salsa. The last pic is not mine, I just posted to show what would look like if using fresh tomatoes and blended into a puree type salsa. If your after more color, I would experiment with adding a bit of tomato paste to the pot, shouldnt alter the flavor to much and give you more of that red color your after.

Yeah it was weird, it turned out pink while in the Ninja.  I pureed it just like you said but it turned out looking pink.  I will try the tomato paste next...thanks.   :surprised:

LowDrag said:

Yeah it was weird, it turned out pink while in the Ninja.  I pureed it just like you said but it turned out looking pink.  I will try the tomato paste next...thanks.   :surprised:
Oh, I see probably because you were eating raw, not boiled/cooked down at all. Store bought roma's are kinda pink on the inside. My guess is because there was no heat applied??

beerbreath81 said:
Oh, I see probably because you were eating raw, not boiled/cooked down at all. Store bought roma's are kinda pink on the inside. My guess is because there was no heat applied??

That would be correct.  Other than forgetting the green peppers I believe that is the only thing different.  I completely forgot that I served it raw.

beerbreath81 said:

ENJOY!!!

Hey, man. I just had to thank you again for this recipe. I made some a few weeks ago and it turned out great! The first jar I tried was canned with a diced up fatalii. The heat was a little too much for my wife and my mom, but they didn't have much time to complain between bites. :D I used a mix of romas and slicers, so it turned out a little runnier than I'd like. Removing the seeds ought to fix that, though.
     I'm canning another double batch today and figured I take a minute to give you another pat on the back since I was already here to consult the recipe. It's so much fun to go into the basement and have to decide if I want a jar with scotch bonnets, reapers, chocolate bhut jolokia, TS CARDI, etc Good stuff!

dash 2 said:

Hey, man. I just had to thank you again for this recipe. I made some a few weeks ago and it turned out great! The first jar I tried was canned with a diced up fatalii. The heat was a little too much for my wife and my mom, but they didn't have much time to complain between bites. :D I used a mix of romas and slicers, so it turned out a little runnier than I'd like. Removing the seeds ought to fix that, though.
     I'm canning another double batch today and figured I take a minute to give you another pat on the back since I was already here to consult the recipe. It's so much fun to go into the basement and have to decide if I want a jar with scotch bonnets, reapers, chocolate bhut jolokia, TS CARDI, etc Good stuff!
Hey Dash,

Glad your enjoying it. Love this recipe but getting the heat ratio down is a bit of a challenge, but a good way to make several "different" salsas.  Good with fresh, frozen or even dried pods too.

I'm bumping this because the base recipe really is fantastic.  The ratios of tomatoes/onion/peppers is perfect and it's become my go to recipe.  Family always ask me to bring it to our summer gatherings (and follow the request with a plea to keep the heat level down lol) and I usually make 2-3 batches for myself through the summer and freeze to enjoy throughout the year.  :)

Back