• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Ebay seeds "Bhut Jolokia" Grow, start to finish.

These are Bhut Jolokias I sowed 4 days ago. Seed source is unknown from an ebay seller, hopefully they are Bhut Jolokias. I planted the seeds in a mixture of peat, perlite, composted bark and lime powder. Watered with pH balanced distilled water and set outside Florida weather with a current mean temp of around 85'F. Sprouted 3 days later.
7-7-11001.jpg
7-7-11003.jpg

7-7-11011.jpg
7-7-11012.jpg

Great job. Are you going to seperate them soon? if they sprouted in 4 days(usually they take a little longer) i personally would be worried but lets hope for the best :)

These are 10 hours after transplanting into 20oz cups. 4 days after previous photos, 5 days old.
bhutjolokias5daysold10hrsaftertransplant.jpg
bhutjolokias5daysold10hrsaftertransplant2.jpg

I sowed 13 seeds, 6 sprouted in three days and 2 more on the 4th day. I only have room for two full grown plants in 3 gallon pots, therefore emerging sprouts after this will get the boot. The one below was sacrificed to show its root system, 5 days old.
bhutjolokia4daysoldrootsystem.jpg

Great job. Are you going to seperate them soon? if they sprouted in 4 days(usually they take a little longer) i personally would be worried but lets hope for the best :)
You beat me to the punch! They are currently 9 days old, my next post will be up to date. They actually sprouted in 3 days, the photo was a day later and im happy they're thriving so well at this point.

Bhut Jolokias 9 days old. I hope these photos help other new growers identify growth pattern. 3 sprouts emerged and have been dumped since last photos, so 11 out of 13 seeds sprouted so far in a 12 day span. This post is up to date.
9daysold001.jpg
9daysold003.jpg

9daysold005.jpg

9daysold010.jpg

They look like annuums to me, chinense have broader leaves. The germination time also points away from chinense. PC-1 maybe?

It is normal for the leaves to grow uneven. You just notice it more when the plants are that small.

EBAY is not the right place to get super hot seeds.
Hope you are lucky and they grow true.

Anyway, that's a very nice start. :)

Bleash

While I'm generally inclined to agree with you, there are exceptions. I've happened across a few reputable sellers. Usually their commitment to authenticity is apparent in the product descriptions. Descriptions like those found on Hirts, or obvious "hobby" growers who don't specify breeding true or mention isolation techniques are the ones I'd try to watch out for.

The seller on ebay has a high rep with 100% feedback which may just be from the transaction and not from validity because who is gonna wait till the seeds grow to fruit to leave feedback?... me, lol. Here's the link

Germination rate may have been a mixture of presoaking the seeds, air:moisture ratio of the medium, temp, and genetics.

I use styrofoam cups the help keep a more stable medium temp (in theory) since the cup is so small and exposed. The extra cup is to catch the extra water and help with, again, fast temp fuctuations of the soil. When the root system gets bigger, ill cover the inner cup with duct tape to block light while the outer cup reflects it.

Thanks for the replys all.

Plants are 12 days old in these pics. They are still using the water they germinated in and algae is forming in one cup, but not a problem yet.
12daysold002.jpg
12daysold005.jpg

I tested an Ortho insecticide that clearly states "won't harm plants or blooms" on one seedling (bottom left of first pic) and it caused burn spots on the foliage and slowed growth. This is the second time I purchased this product in 3 years with the same results. Burn spots are more evident in older/larger plants. Plants were in the shade when sprayed so its not sun and droplet damage.
12daysold007-1.jpg

v v DO NOT RECOMMEND USING v v
Ortho_Garden_Veg_Spray_Std.jpg

Back