• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2015

Here i am with my humble growing!
That year only superhots, there were just too many that i wanted to try.

The seeds, all form Semillas:
i3Bz4S98XmOZH.jpg

I gave 5 of each to a friend of mine. So i have 6 of all but TSMCaramel (7), BrainStrain (5) and Jay Peach (5).
Total 59.
I plan to keep 2 of each + 1 for another friend of mine. If more, giveaway.

Today i started that seeds:
ibxwAGx72iEMvS.jpg

Overwintered:
iXv4onS8jWY7M.jpg

7pod on left (maybe i'll give it to an aunt of mine), rocoto on right. Maybe i pruned it too ealy... I hope that year to harvest something from that one.

Well... Now let's see who germintates...

Since i have no sprout to show i start with some pizza of yesterday.
Tomato passata is homemade from tomatoes of 2014. Also I used fatalli and moruga powder on some. Toppings: pepperoni, bacon, red onion marinated in evo and bp and salt, olives, mozz (thick slices).

ibvKHqJPHTBlfv.jpg

ik4J1dNUdLY4a.jpg

iifa1DkKkg942.jpg

irbqH1qYvpbUV.jpg

ibmvhMQFn6QJZC.jpg

i2WKr9kt9ejAi.jpg

Airiness looks very irregular and mostly bad (the third one is the only decent in that regard), at least taste was good.

Thanks all!

PIC 1 said:
Beautiful glog Essegi....a visual experience with the photography !
Glad to see you! I miss your glog and your food, thoug i've seen another masterpiece on steak thread!

PS: some rain, finally... Not much but better than nothing.

Essegi said:
 Another ridiculous harvest (mostly to have some fresh pods and take some with incoming ber). Maybe my next will be a good one with lots of Jay's.

I have a Primo, nearly fully ripe. Then Bahamian Goat, MoA, not ripe ber Jay's Peach.
Jay's seems more subsceptible of ber, Moruga, yellow especially, of some falls...

That Primo is one of the best i had on plant, too bad it had tail ruined:

Also, loads of oil:

Well, i said that Primo maybe looks scariest and probably it's the hottest. I ate a small piece and, guys, that was fiery! Also taste isn't bad and nearly not bitter. Great pepper.

Iirc Primo was the first plant to pop up and the last to be tasted lol.
damn this pod is scary oily for sure!!

Today:

Columns from left:
2 choco moruga, a MoA, 3 BBG7, 3 Peach Bhut
2 Brainstrain, 2 Butch T, 2 Jay's Red, 2 Primo
7 not Moruga Caramel
8 Jay's Peach
14 Moruga Caramel
10 Moruga Yellow (1 or 2 are MoA)

I made a pesto with pepper instead basil and was good (i posted recipe on sauce subforum). Some relatives tasted it and said that is good but with too much pepper of course. To me it was maybe the best sauce to be eaten with corn tortillas, really great combo.

I remade it milder for a relative in that way:

30g of deseeded hot peppers (1 MoA, 1 Bahamian Goat, 1 Cherry, some calabrese annuum)
30g of yellow bell pepper
60g of Grana Padano
60g evo
30g of turkish garlic (just one big clove, amazing garlic)
30g of hazelnuts (toasted to remove skin)
5g of salt

Just blend all:

Probably my best sauce.

Essegi said:

I made a pesto with pepper instead basil and was good (i posted recipe on sauce subforum). Some relatives tasted it and said that is good but with too much pepper of course. To me it was maybe the best sauce to be eaten with corn tortillas, really great combo.

I remade it milder for a relative in that way:

30g of deseeded hot peppers (1 MoA, 1 Bahamian Goat, 1 Cherry, some calabrese annuum)
30g of yellow bell pepper
60g of Grana Padano
60g evo
30g of turkish garlic (just one big clove, amazing garlic)
30g of hazelnuts (toasted to remove skin)
5g of salt

Just blend all:

Probably my best sauce.

Pretty decent harvest you got there. Very versatile - I'm looking forward to your comments on the taste/heat of those peppers.

Thumbs up for pesto/sauce. It looks delicious. Gonna try something similar when I harvest enough peppers.

I've been waiting a few weeks to share this in your thread!

I wasn't able to squeeze bread into my diet the past few weeks, but I've been dying to try this pepper/fish condiment ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438140036.889208.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438140050.639445.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438140061.456836.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438140079.607790.jpg

It's hard to describe, but maybe you are familiar with it? =)

My never-ending pursuit of novelty paid off on this one, it's delicious!

tsurrie said:

Pretty decent harvest you got there. Very versatile - I'm looking forward to your comments on the taste/heat of those peppers.

Thumbs up for pesto/sauce. It looks delicious. Gonna try something similar when I harvest enough peppers.
Thanks! I've tasted all of those, i tried a bit to descrive flavour but i can't do better than say i'ts bitter/not bitter or if i like taste, i can't describe peppers in a fancy way! :D Still giving away, so many left on plants...
If you try pesto of course you can use almonds or walnuts too, probably pine nuts even better.

grantmichaels said:
I've been waiting a few weeks to share this in your thread!

I wasn't able to squeeze bread into my diet the past few weeks, but I've been dying to try this pepper/fish condiment ...

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438140036.889208.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438140050.639445.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438140061.456836.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438140079.607790.jpg

It's hard to describe, but maybe you are familiar with it? =)

My never-ending pursuit of novelty paid off on this one, it's delicious!
Looks a really interesting stuff but i'm not familiar with that (it comes from the opposite of Italy lol). I'm not sure wich type of fish is that, btw i bet it's super with pasta too. Those bruschette look great!

Speaking about fish my dad asked me to remake pesto with anchovies and maybe some capers (and milder of course), it should be very good, maybe that evening i'll try.

Today's harvest:

Chocolate, Yellow and Caramel Moruga

BBG7, Primo, Brainstrain and a Kurtovska Kapija.

Jay's Red, Bahamian Goat, Butch T, MoA, not Moruga Caramel.

Those Primos have a nasty tail.

I had a chance to taste again Fatalii... For heat it has and edge over MoA... But MoA tastes better and i believe it's my current fav, Fatalli has an hint of soap and bitter. Still it's one of my fav.
Also i tasted Chocolate Scorpion, from a friend as Fatalii... That it's really hot and mean and quite bitter. Quite the opposite than Red and Yellow Scorpion, they tastes great but aren't so strong for being supers imho (still too hot :D).

PS: in the end i didn't made sauce with anchovies, just another standard... Friends liked that! Though i think then one above with yellow bell i made for my uncle maybe was the best. Also i'm wondering about using carrot.

Thanks guys!
Not Moruga Caramel is impressive, maybe it's not the one with most pods (not? Peach Bhut and Moruga Caramel have more) but it's relentless: it's constantly setting pods and they are fast riping.

Today's harvest:

Calabrese random annuum and 2 Goat's Weed!

Aji Amarillo is starting to ripe...

Various supers.

So i tasted Goat's Weed, nice pepper. Taste and heat above average for an annuum, Also plant, even if not much productive and not so big, is sturdy, i've read that it tolerates low temps... I say it tolerates well high temps too!

A note about Brainstrain: it's nowhere as mean as i've heard. Yeah, superhot, but one of the less hot. Maybe is the strain that i'm growing that it's not so mean. But it's one of the best tasting supers, so it's ok.

So on sunday i'm going for a good week to Albania to some friends... I don't even remember when was my last holiday on some cool place for that long... I told my dad to water 2 or 3 times when i'm away...
Saturday i'll harvest more than today and i've many from my last one... Since we are eating lots of fish it's mandatory to have peppers. And it's cheap: there's a fish that here costs 14,5€/kg on a cheap market, in Albania 2,5€/Kg lol, just to say.
Maybe i'll take all pods with me, spreading fire to all people i can! :D

I just hope that Aji Amarillo won't fall by itself, stalk looks like it's drying near the pod... At least there are other pods set. Also Bishop's Crown has many pods, but they take an age to ripe! :D

Seems like your harvest is really starting to kick in Giancarlo... Everything's looking great! Don't be surprised if it takes the Kapijas until almost September to fully ripen. It takes that long down in the Balkans too. It takes a lot of patience to let them go that long, but the results are worth it since there's hardly anything as sweet as a vine-ripened Kapija, and nothing as big. Your potato gnocci pic had me salivating in short order my friend :drooling: ... and I just love pasta sauce made with Anchovies. It gives it a depth of flavor I just love! When does the grape harvest happen out your way? It must  be gonna happen fairly soon...   Cheers!

Thanks Rick!
Grape harvest will start in weeks, on August. For sure it will go on September and maybe some on October too.
I remember an year that an uncle of mine went to harvest some Tocai of a guy that got too old to take it with the result that it has been harvested later... Wine was exceptional, nearly a passito.
Where i live there are many grape growers. My uncle has Tocai Rosso, Pinot Nero, Garganega and Barbera.
Tocai had many issues with hungarian for the name, now it's called Tai or Barbarano iirc, for what matters.

Thanks Jamie!

So today i harvested all ripe/starting to ripe pods since no one is harvesting them and i stay awasy for 10-14 days... And, still. there are many left.
Also, i had to pick up Aji Amarillo because it was nearly falling by itself...

About 1170g, could be my largest harvest.

Primos tails!

That one is a cool looking Jay's Red.

So i made the plans: keep at home all lightweights like Bhut Peach, Jay's and not Moruga Caramel (it's quite light for its size so i think it has thing flesh), Primos, Annuums, so they'll dry easily, i'll take with me all meaty ones (morugas, brainstrain, MoA and Bahamian Goats).

See you in 2 weeks!

Back