• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2015

Here i am with my humble growing!
That year only superhots, there were just too many that i wanted to try.

The seeds, all form Semillas:
i3Bz4S98XmOZH.jpg

I gave 5 of each to a friend of mine. So i have 6 of all but TSMCaramel (7), BrainStrain (5) and Jay Peach (5).
Total 59.
I plan to keep 2 of each + 1 for another friend of mine. If more, giveaway.

Today i started that seeds:
ibxwAGx72iEMvS.jpg

Overwintered:
iXv4onS8jWY7M.jpg

7pod on left (maybe i'll give it to an aunt of mine), rocoto on right. Maybe i pruned it too ealy... I hope that year to harvest something from that one.

Well... Now let's see who germintates...

Since i have no sprout to show i start with some pizza of yesterday.
Tomato passata is homemade from tomatoes of 2014. Also I used fatalli and moruga powder on some. Toppings: pepperoni, bacon, red onion marinated in evo and bp and salt, olives, mozz (thick slices).

ibvKHqJPHTBlfv.jpg

ik4J1dNUdLY4a.jpg

iifa1DkKkg942.jpg

irbqH1qYvpbUV.jpg

ibmvhMQFn6QJZC.jpg

i2WKr9kt9ejAi.jpg

Airiness looks very irregular and mostly bad (the third one is the only decent in that regard), at least taste was good.

Thanks Adam! I've yet to nail sauces. I make something ok sometimes, but i don't have a special recipe yet.

Other pod shots... Not really needed, but i am not satisfied to have left out some plants last time, that for sure are happier than last year.

Acrata

Random calabrese annuum

Moa loaded!

Also Bahamian Goat has many nice pods (some decent in size).

Moruga Caramel, that is producing many pods, and not Moruga Caramel (that maybe is even nastier looking than true one)

Jay's Red

Primo (i think every one has the nasty tail)

Brainstrain

Moruga Chocolate

Butch T and Jay's Peach

Peach Bhuts (also that one is quite productive)

BBG7

Moruga Yellow:

Find the intruder

Not Caramel Moruga among San Pietro pears (gift from my uncle, just taken from the tree)

A pumpkin

Looking good Giancarlo! Some very nasty lookin pods!

Now for the San Marzanos, I must thank you again for the seeds. I just put them in the ground last weekend and they are doin very well so far! I grew 2 of each variety you sent and cannot wait for them to start producing. Awesome germination rates with them as well. I need to quit being so lazy and update my glog! Been working many hours lately. Today i have some time as soon as i get rid of this hangover lol.

grispa72 said:
Caspita complimentoni! Tanta tanta bella roba!

Congratulations! Lots and beautiful stuff!

Paolo
Grazie mille! :D

alkhall said:
That Moruga Yellow looks more 'brainy' than most Brainstrain I have seen.

The rest look very good as well.
Thanks! I can't wait for that pod to be ripe, it looks meaner than all other moruga i've had.

Jamison said:
Looking good Giancarlo! Some very nasty lookin pods!

Now for the San Marzanos, I must thank you again for the seeds. I just put them in the ground last weekend and they are doin very well so far! I grew 2 of each variety you sent and cannot wait for them to start producing. Awesome germination rates with them as well. I need to quit being so lazy and update my glog! Been working many hours lately. Today i have some time as soon as i get rid of this hangover lol.
Thanks Jamison! I am looking forward to your updates!

Very nice looking pods you're growing Giancarlo! Your MoA is truly loaded! Have you sampled any Butch T. pods before this? I grew them for a couple of years and liked the heat, but not the flavor... too bitter! romy6 put me onto smoking the pods with Cherry wood before drying and grinding for powder, and it greatly improved the flavor. Cheers!

Ozzy2001 said:
Nice grow you have going. That pesto you made looked amazing.
Thanks! Now it's frozen... Last year i ate some pesto frozen from 3 years and was still ok as taste.

stickman said:
Very nice looking pods you're growing Giancarlo! Your MoA is truly loaded! Have you sampled any Butch T. pods before this? I grew them for a couple of years and liked the heat, but not the flavor... too bitter! romy6 put me onto smoking the pods with Cherry wood before drying and grinding for powder, and it greatly improved the flavor. Cheers!
Thanks Rick! No, i've not sampled it, nor any of the other pods i'm growing (except, of course, pods i've eaten those days and that i still have to understand, not caramel moruga, brainstrain, chocolate moruga, peach bhut, bbg7, moruga yellow).
So far i like standard trinidad scorpions (red and yellow) since i don't feel much bitter (but nor crazy heat, still much but less than a 7pod), fruity taste, but i'm not sure they were pure.
Interesting thing the smoking tip, at the moment is out of my reach. :P

Today evening and tomorrow there's the chance of some rain... I hope.
Yesterday at 7pm in an underground car park there were 31,5 °C (88-89F). Day before 33°C (91-92 F) at 8pm in shade...
Today would have been even hotter but luckily there are some clouds.

Thanks guys!
At least that year i haven't messed up with seeds! :D

Now that aji amarillo has set a pod every plant has one!
Also Kapija is showing some colour. It's a fast plant!

Returned too late to shot, i went to my uncle place that gave me some parsley sauce:

Looks good and tastes even better.
My uncle said that it's an easy thing but need to be done properly... Here it's a masterwork execution.
He used parsley, oil, bread, eggs, anchovies and vinegar. Just blended and no cooking. Knowing me he said that adding garlic wouldn't hurt. Also, of course, some hot pepper would be killer here.

Btw i have picked just 2 pods:

A moruga yellow and a not moruga caramel.

That moruga yellow is my best pod to date:

Over 18g, quite massive! Also that photo, even if a bit underexposed, it's the most true as colour. There are some nearly orange spots.

I'm not satisfied of that last 2 photos, it's more rough that how it seem here.
Maybe i'm keeping seeds.

Another recipe, out of interest. No pics since the one i picked were bad.
Some spiced wine, a bit sangria like.

I used 1 L red wine called Casale. I think it's a local name, it's a merlot-corvina mix, corvina is the grape of Amarone that is the best wine i've ever had. It's quite fruity itself (and hella cheap since i find it not bottled in the near wine cooperative).
I've taken a bit of that wine and i've boiled for 5 minutes 4 carnation cloves and a stick of cinnamon. At the end i've put half  of a lemon without skin and white part, 2 peach diced and 2 tablespoons of honey and the rest of the wine.
After 1 day i've filtered all and i've added 2 diced peach, then in fridge.
Not bad at all. When i discover my most fruity pepper i can add it.
Btw i must try another recipe of medieval spiced wine with 30 day ferment, i must find a good one.

Thanks Bumper and Tsurrie!
I've kept seeds at last... I don't know if i'll use them, if someone wants i'll gladly send. Though it isn't a good offer, the pepper isn't rare, nor pure since i've not isolated anything.

tsurrie said:
Did you tried it yet ?
Yeah, just a bit, so i have no clear ideas. Taste is good, though trinidad scorpion yellow i tried seemed better in that regard. That one is much hotter btw and is less bitter (if therer is some, but maybe i have to taste more) than other pods so hot. Maybe not as hot as moruga red, though i think that heat is a bit pungent, not only burn type and with some persistency.

I made with that a very simple sauce and i kept things straight with not much spices.

I started pan frying half of a red onion (maybe tropea) in oil.
After some minutes i added 3 cloves of garlic, sliced thin.
I added after a while moruga yellow and a carrot finely diced, then salt and a black/red/white pepper mix.
I cooked for a bit slowly, then i used a bit of white wine to cook fast for a min.
After that i added a juicy, ripe, peach finely diced. I went on cooking slowly for... Other 15 mins? I don't know.
Again risen the fire and another bit of white wine.
After that i added some tomato passata and again low fire.
Cooked for another... 20 mins maybe.
At end of cooking i used a bit more of salt and a teaspoon of honey. After canning it some evo.
No blend.

I've tried it now after some hours. The first thing that i taste is honey, just a tsp after cooking and the flavour is strong.  Just after that heat comes.
Good one that time, i think it's good for nachos, much better than my last one and one of my best.

About the plants: a MoA pod is half ripe, i can't wait to try it!

Damn man, this sauce/salsa looks good. I do believe it's tasty.
Do you often use white wine in sauces ? Is that good just for yellow peppers or any kind ?

Thanks Ronnie!

tsurrie said:
Damn man, this sauce/salsa looks good. I do believe it's tasty.
Do you often use white wine in sauces ? Is that good just for yellow peppers or any kind ?
Thanks! I don''t really know... I'm not good at sauces and i'm making them without a real method. I used wine because i thought that an extra sweet factor would be good and also some more liquid (just a tad since i haven't used much and also i made it sweat, but stil...).

More photos!

I harvested my first MoA! 17g, not bad at all!

Here with a Roma VF tomato.
I'll wait a couple of days to let it ripe more. Really looking forward to that!
That Roma was also good to eat, better than San Marzano Lungo. Both are for passata, San Marzano should have an edge on that.

Kapija:

Has set many nice and good looking pods! Unfortunately the one riping and another started to rot (maybe ber) and i throw them away... I really want to taste those, luckily plant is healthy and seems a fast producer.

Aji Amarillo pod!
Leaves look good on colour but a bit folded. Doesn't seem terribly prolific. Btw, i'm really looking forward that one too.

Bishop's Crown

Starting to ripe, it took an age.

Random calabrese annuum

Really productive!

Those should be yellow bells.

Eggplant! I've had many, slicing, breading and cooking in oven is insanely good. Classic thing you can't stop to eat.

Marzanini

As always easily healthy, good and productive.

2 kind of tomatoes

Another uncle of mine gave some plants... On the left the one that he calls heart shaped. On the right one that is a pale red when ripe, he calls that rose tomatoes, maybe are from China or far east. I've yet to taste first, the seconds are great for salad.

Awesome gnocchi

Why? Potatoes were grown from my relatives, picked up those days. Topped with homemade pesto.
My mom made that, i'd say that those ones owned other homemade with bought potatoes. Great consistency, quite sweet and plain taste just better. For sure some of the best i've ever had.

Gnocchi looks great Essegi. Is there a particular type of potato that you favour for it? Floury or Waxy?
Thos Marzinini look great. Are they a mini San Marzano type?

ronniedeb said:
Gnocchi looks great Essegi. Is there a particular type of potato that you favour for it? Floury or Waxy?
Thos Marzinini look great. Are they a mini San Marzano type?
Thanks!
My parents said that they're yellow and a bit floury, not too wet, good for all, Monnalisa variety (or Monalisa?).
In general i don't make them so i don't know which one are best. I've read that white ones are often preferred for gnocchi. Yellow should be more compact. Monalisa seems very compact and not the best for gnocchi. But i like compact gnocchi, so no wonder i liked that ones.
Yes, Marzanini are literally small Marzanos. A greenhouse here sell them. I wonder if it's the same as San Marzano Nano (dwarf San Marzano).

EDIT: just eaten my standard diet pasta with evo and the fresh Scotch Bonnet.
85g pasta and 17 of pod.
The first bites were just good. The spectacular thing is that this one got better and better as i proceeded and shows a great potential.
I don't know if because the pod is heavy, i think i felt it hotter than habanero and maybe even fatalii, i am satisfied with that heat level.
I must let fully ripe the next one and probably will be even better and make some sauce to see flavour, could be the best!

Back