• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Fade's Grow Log 2010

Well its been a long time since I last posted on the forum due to being very busy.
I hope all is well with everyone, and that you had a very happy new year!
Here are some pics of what I'm currently growing.

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

My Yellow Scotch Bonnets that are planted in ground are loaded and continue to be heavy producers.

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Some Chocolate Habs

BTW my obsessive/compulsive behavior is rearing it's ugly head again....just ordered more varieties from NMSU

Chile Pepper Institute Chile Shop 4.00
Order ID: Chile de Arbol
Order ID: Santaka
Order ID: Omni Color
Order ID: Christmas Bell (Uba Tuba)
Order ID: Datil

Here is a pic of the 2 scorpions I have left that sprang months ago but have just not gone anywhere.

P1000025.jpg

P1000027.jpg

Here is a closeup of the underside of the leaves.

P1000032.jpg

And here is a shot of the other scotch bonnets I have that are in pots, these were planted the same time as the ones I have put in the ground.
For some reason they look yellowish and have small leaves like they have a nute deficiency, but I have put time release 10-10-10 and also miracle go
and they still show no signs of improvement. The two chocolate habs are doing ok down on the end.

P1000026.jpg

Bossman

The scotch bonnets have been in the ground I would say almost a year, but they were in pots a lwhile before planting them.

Have you checked your pH recently Fade? If it's out of whack the plant can't take up any nutrients. I hope things turn around for you. If my season is successful I would be happy to send you some heat. Good luck bro.

Thanks Patrick.

I will test the PH tommorow with my current meter which im not to sure if its accurate. I should have a new one comming on wednesday along with all the other stuff i shipped from FL.

hey fade
2 weeks ago i flushed my plots and was really vigilant with watering. basically havent watered at all since - just a folair spray now and then in the morning.
I kept the pots on an angle for a day and used a wick to improve drainage.... and my effected plants are starting to come back.

The damaged leaves are still there (and i imagine wont change), but the new growth is normal and even starting to develop buds.
The plants are stunted in growth compared to my others, but they seem to be recovering, so ill keep an update on em for ya

Thanks for the update Bennoz, keep us posted on the progress.

This morning I noticed something interesting with the issue Bossman and I have been trying to figure out.
Before my trip I had potted up 6 of my largest scotch bonnet plants. Of the the 6 plants 5 of them are perfectly healthy but on the other one I noticed the leaf curl issue has started.
Now, what i find interesting about this is that the 5 healthy plants have all green stems with no coloration. On the effected plant there is rust colored spec's covering the stem.
I have inspected the plants and I see no sign's of aphics or pests, which i was expecting since they were getting regular spraying.
I'm now thinking this could be some type of fungus or bacteria problem rather than pest related.
I have noticed if it doesent totally take over the plant that the new growth can come out normal as you can see from my pic of the red savina.

I'm sorry to keep beating on this topic like a dead horse, but I'm really just trying to figure out exactly what this issue is we are having.
Here are some pics of what i was talking about.

Here is the healthy plant:

P1000038.jpg

P1000035.jpg

Here is the plant with the leaf issue starting:

P1000037.jpg

P1000036.jpg

Hey Bossman..

You asked me how long my scotch bonnet plant had been in the ground. My guess was a little off lol, it was planted in late october but the plant itself is about a year old.
Here is a picture from the day I planted it.

IMG_1359.jpg

And this is it this morning ;)

P1000039.jpg

Nothing unusual with the stem, just a little suntan. If you're absolutely certain there aren't any aphids or thrips on the plant, try giving it a spritz of an epsom salts/kelp solution.

Fade... I just pruned the to of one of the sickly ones...Sorry I didn't take pics, but here is what I found....

Since all of the new growth near the top was sprouting as little, hard, crinkly nubs of leaves, I figure I have nothing to lose. I don't want these sick guys affecting the rest of the plants..

The stem of my plant was significantly narrower at the top, whereas my healthy Carib Reds have stems that appear to be close to the same diameter top to bottom. Here is the kicker (damn I wish I took pics)....I pruned at a 45 Degree, starting at the top.....when I looked at the inside of the stem cut from near the top, it appeared to be uniform in color all the way through and looked like it may have "clogged arteries" lol. In other words, no way for the plant to get what it needs to the top..

The lower I went on the stem, the cut showed a paler color in the inside of the stem and I could see capillaries for transport of nutes. (IE still looked healthy)...I now cut it down to 3 inches or so just to see what may happen.....

BTW...I took the plant out of the pot rinsed some soil away and examined the roots which appeared to be healthy...

I wonder if not hardening off properly could show a problem like this later on down the road...

The unfortunate thing is that some of my Bhut's are showing early signs too...

Hopefully we'll get a definitive answer so that we don't have to deal with this again....

bossman9 said:
Fade ..

Maybe you can find an old-timer local that can enlighten us, wisdom comes with age...BTW what Island are you on ?

Not too sure about finding an old timer that knows whats going on. I've asked alot of local growers what they thought was going on and they didnt really know.
They said that they have experianced the same type of problems with their crops as well.
I really think its connected to white flies because its the only pest i see everyday in numbers. I decided to spray the grass in my back yard today out of curiousity and the little bastards started swarming left and right.
Someone has told me that white fly love to feast on ficus tree's, which we have along out back yard for privacy. I'm not sure how true it is, but I plan on spraying out my whole entire yard and trees to try and get them under control.

Have you noticed alot of white fly around bossman?

Fade...

In years past I've had horrible White Fly issues, but this year I have seen very few (knock on wood). Check out SS's reply to your other thread....I found the local Dept. of Agriculture place to bring leaves and branches for examination, hopefully at the end of the week....I'm gonna bring a couple of leaves to my veterinary friend's to look at under a microscope....I think SS is right about Thrips....

Hopefully you will find out something bossman...

I am starting to see the symtoms strat on most of my seedlings i have out on the front porch.
It seems its happening to all of them as they reach a certain size. All the plants that are still younger are perfectly fine.
As soon as these have started reaching 12" - 14" the new growth starts comming out deformed.

Im so discouraged at this point because i know what happens once it starts on young plants...

FadeToBlack said:
I am starting to see the symtoms strat on most of my seedlings i have out on the front porch.
It seems its happening to all of them as they reach a certain size. All the plants that are still younger are perfectly fine.
As soon as these have started reaching 12" - 14" the new growth starts comming out deformed.

exactly the same with me !
The only pests im finding are whiteflies - but all reports say that they really dont cause too many drama's (if any)
No pests, no virus no real identifiable problem... (sorry for spelling i shmashed ;p )

Seriously - try the drainage theory. what can u loose. Id be really interested to see if its not just me

Hey Bennoz and Bossman.

Could you check the PH of the soil your problem plants and of your healthy plants.
I just checked with my new meter i got today and the sick plants are 5 - 5.5 PH and the seemingly healthy plants the PH is around 6 - 6.2
Then I went out in the back year and tested the soil where the in ground plants are and its 6.8 - 7 PH

Not sure if its a part of the problem but 5 - 5.5 is too low. I will add some lime to them later this afternoon.

6.5- 7.0 is what you should be at when you grow in soil for the most efficiently nutrient absorption rate available.A low ph causes acid salts to chemically bind nutrients, and the roots can't absorb them.

FadeToBlack said:
Hey Bennoz and Bossman.

Could you check the PH of the soil your problem plants and of your healthy plants.
I just checked with my new meter i got today and the sick plants are 5 - 5.5 PH and the seemingly healthy plants the PH is around 6 - 6.2
Then I went out in the back year and tested the soil where the in ground plants are and its 6.8 - 7 PH

Not sure if its a part of the problem but 5 - 5.5 is too low. I will add some lime to them later this afternoon.

Fade what meter did you buy? I bought a cheapo recently and I also have some test kits....my initial tests were good, but I'll test Thursday evening when I get home form work....I'm leaning toward Thrips right now. Did you check out the links I posted on your other thread?

I have lots of yellow blended oil jugs around the patio trapping bugs, but haven't examined them closely yet.....bear in mind that the patio is screened in and I have started to spray a garlic/soap/hot pepper boiled solution now on underside of leaves and around any areas of screen and doors where access is easy for bugs,,....last night I was hard pressed to find aphids and/or white flies... I'll reply in more detail with pics Thurs night....

BTW Basil is one of the natural repellents of Thrips from what I read....Are the plants that are next to you Basil on steroids suffering???

Back