• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fade's Grow Log 9 - 21 - 09

Pepper plants don't like being moved - they tend to go into shock pretty easily. Do you water them from above or below?

If you water from below it makes the roots grow downwards to find the water. It helps the plant to establish itself better and it will grow quicker too.

I thought I would share some positive news today.
Here is my largest Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Or some type of Yellow Hab).
It is now 28" Tall with some of the leaves over 6" wide and starting to branch off at the top and starting to
fill in the lower sections of the plant. It also has about 20 blossoms on the top which keep increasing as new branches develope. Here are a few pics.

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

BTW Badger, what type of process would I use to water from the bottom?
Sorry im kinda noob.

those are gonna be big plants...very happy looking...

Don't quote me on this but you might want to check...I have heard that folks that live on islands surrounded by salt water or places close to the coast may have an issue with the soil being too salty....may be an old wives tale, but still that is what I heard...

please, someone correct me if I am wrong...

Thanks AJ

I have one planted in the ground now for testing purposes and it seems to be going along just as the ones in the pots if not better. Actually the plant in the pictures is one i tried with a mixture of beach sand 1/3 and 2/3 MG potting mix. That was baout 1 month ago and the plant was about 20" tall. I do understand your point though because we get alot of salt spray due to the beach beaing about 100 yards from our house.

FadeToBlack said:
what type of process would I use to water from the bottom

Something like a tray or really anything you can fill with water and stand your plants in so they can suck up water for a few hours. BTW what's your favourite Metallica album?

Badger said:
Something like a tray or really anything you can fill with water and stand your plants in so they can suck up water for a few hours. BTW what's your favourite Metallica album?

I'm going to guess Ride the Lightning.

Badger said:

Well thats a very difficult question for me, and I really cant choose but here are my top three in no particular order.

Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
Death Magnetic

Also love S&M even though not a studio album its very unique.

And actually my 2 Metallica concerts are 7 days away now and I cant wait!

Your gonna need bigger pots.5 gal is really gonna get rootbound fast,just at the critical stage.You can keep adding nutes,but xtra soil is always better.The Chinense will need probablt 7 gal to do best.The annums you can get by with 5's.Get some peat moss on the mainland,lots.It's fast draining and you can recycle by adding to it next year.Perlite is never a bad thing.Start a compost bin if you can for coffee grounds,and xtra vegetaive matter.Great luck to you and keep an eye out for Native peppers at the markets!

scoville said:
Your gonna need bigger pots.5 gal is really gonna get rootbound fast,just at the critical stage.You can keep adding nutes,but xtra soil is always better.The Chinense will need probablt 7 gal to do best.The annums you can get by with 5's.Get some peat moss on the mainland,lots.It's fast draining and you can recycle by adding to it next year.Perlite is never a bad thing.Start a compost bin if you can for coffee grounds,and xtra vegetaive matter.Great luck to you and keep an eye out for Native peppers at the markets!

Doh, there only in 3 gallon containers at the moment. I'll have to pick up some 7 gallon containers in florida next week along with some pro mix.

FadeToBlack said:
And actually my 2 Metallica concerts are 7 days away now and I cant wait!

Cool! I still love Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, but And Justice for All is probably my favourite. Dyer's Eve is my favourite Metallica song.

FadeToBlack said:
Doh, there only in 3 gallon containers at the moment. I'll have to pick up some 7 gallon containers in florida next week along with some pro mix.

I agree with the larger containers...I am growing in 5s and the plants are doing OK but are getting rootbound to beat the band...7s or 10s would work better as was mentioned...I am going to 7s and 10s next grow season myself

Hint...if you have time to check with some nurseries, they may sell/give you some used containers at a much cheaper price than what you would have to pay for them new...

AlabamaJack said:
I agree with the larger containers...I am growing in 5s and the plants are doing OK but are getting rootbound to beat the band...7s or 10s would work better as was mentioned...I am going to 7s and 10s next grow season myself

Hint...if you have time to check with some nurseries, they may sell/give you some used containers at a much cheaper price than what you would have to pay for them new...

I can only imagine how much fun it will be moving around 7 or 10 gallon containers lol. I will definatly take your advice and check the nursery AJ.

And Badger, well I guess there is no need to tell you mine lol.

I thought I'd take some pics before I left on my trip today.
So here they are..

IMG_1276.jpg

These under the lights are all the hot varieties...seem to be growing slowly, they were planted about a month ago.

IMG_1275.jpg

Jalapeno, Anaheim, Holy Moly...seem to be growing faster than the hots

IMG_1277.jpg

First blossom opens on my scotch bonnets

IMG_1278.jpg

Update 10-06-09

Well I just got back from my week long trip to Florida.
I was pleasently surprised at how well things are going!
Here are some updated pics...

IMG_1283.jpg

Green Peppers planted in ground

IMG_1288.jpg

Green Peppers in pots

IMG_1290.jpg

Seedlings under daylight fluorescent lights

IMG_1291.jpg

Closer look

Back