• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fatali Gourmet Jigsaw

I was going to order seeds from him and even went as far as to defend his PBR policy (in the Monsanto thread).  Screw that for a crap idea.  If the man has no decency to send proper seed - considering its five not 500 - (jeez man put 5 proper seeds in a proper envelope!) and not even properly respond to complaints re gernmination and quality of product- then I have no hesitation in declaring him an ass-wipe.

The thing is obviously a Naga Morich x Morouga Scorpion - ever since this project was highlighted he has stopped selling Fataii Gourmet Naga Morich! Jeez make it obvious why don't you.  Also I would love to know - he says he's been breeding and selecting for taste and heat.  How the hell is he discerning this?  By mouth test? In a lab with Chromatographic methods?  How large was the sample size?

Seriously, I don't think this is much different to the Reaper, the Primo or any other Trinidad landrace crossed with the Naga/Assam landraces.

Lastly:  is there any real proof of PBR?  Where was it published? I have not seen anything.  When a breeder has a PBR they append that to the name - as a warning!  A PBR is only valid for 3 years from date of issue.  SO:  if its only the name he has registered then I have no issue re-distributing the seeds as "Trinidad Morouga x Naga Morich from Scandinavia - might be a Fatalii!"

Dulac said:
There should be, lol. The problem seems to be the focus on superhots. I'm trying to work on some hybrids that are not superhots. The cayenne is something I'm trying to improve on. Needs some more heat while retaining its taste for me (about a habanero level heat). I don't hear about anyone working on new cayenne breeds. Last year I crossed it with a Primo to see what happens. I'm having fertility issues because I did it towards the end of the season.

It occurred to me that maybe I should focus on growing hotter chillies that are very productive on window ledges but which aren't superhots. The thought occurred to me because I have a lemon habanero plant that is doing very well in a small container in my kitchen. It now has about 8 fruit growing and it's only in a small 4 litre pot. It also produces lots of pollen and doesn't suffer from aphids much. When I checked out the description on the website where I bought the seeds they mention that it's good for growing in pots. I'm using the pollen to hybridise superhots. Maybe I can get something hotter than a Habanero but more usable than a superhot which would do well in the kitchen? I don't know what the Lemon Habaneros taste like yet. I hope they have a nice lemony taste.

A friend of mine ordered some Jigsaw seeds, he had a problem with broken seeds too, Jukka replaced them. Since he had 100% germination, now I have some too! (Thanks, Andy, you're the best!)

abhvc0O.jpg

I sent one seed into a KNO3-bath today.

Yeah, 5 seeds is a bunch of bull. Especially when 85% germination is considered excellent germination. That means if it just gets ok germ results that you'll get 2-3 seeds to pop....then they have to survive. Oh and then you get a bag of 5 seeds with 2 dead and one cracked (KD) now you hope to get one of your two left over to sprout and live. Too much F'ing risk in that scenario for me to even THINK of wasting my money on it. That's why seed sellers give at least 10 or more seeds. So the customer can have a good chance at success. This guy Jukka might be a master green thumb but when it comes to good business practice and personal character....well, it's not looking good. Good luck everyone with your seeds/plants, I hope you all get great results, and I mean that.

NateFrentz said:
AK4722, what lighting are you using?
I use a Highpower Led Par with 11 Watt  , 7 red -4 blue , ideal for single Plants

Jeff H said:
Definitely LED. The real question is what is that contraption on the right side?

That is a level Indicator from the Hydro Pot ;)

Just a little feedback, 100% it is! - Even the broken seed germinated, if you look at my pic from above, you can see that the bottom-most seed is missing a corner. I buried that one as well, out of pure curiosity and lo and behold: it's alive!

IMG_20130615_144431.jpg

So don't give up on your damaged seeds prematurely, surprisingly there might still be a chance they germinate.

The Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend (Capsicum chinense), endemic to the district of Moruga in Trinidad and Tobago, is currently the world's hottest Chili pepper cultivated.[1] The New Mexico State University's Chilli Pepper Institute has identified the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend as the newest hottest chili pepper as of February 2012.[2][3] According to the Institute, the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend ranks as high as 2,009,231 SHU on the Scoville scale, making it the hottest chili pepper in the world to date.[4]
Paul Bosland, a chili pepper expert and director of the Institute, said that, "You take a bite. It doesn't seem so bad, and then it builds and it builds and it builds. So it is quite nasty."[5][6]

The golf ball-sized chili pepper scored the highest among a handful of chili cultivars reputed to be among the hottest in the world. Its mean heat topped more than 1.2 million units on the Scoville heat scale, while fruits from an individual plant reached 2 million heat units.
Aside from the heat, the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend has a tender fruit-like flavor, which makes it a sweet-hot combination.[3] The pepper can be grown from seeds in most parts of the world; in North America, the growing season is January–July.

^^^ What NMSU says

Back