• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

favorite Favorite Bacon

Anyone ever heard of venison bacon?? I always process my own deer, but a friend of mine brings his to a processor, and he just gave me some venison bacon to try. I can't even wrap my head around the idea of venison bacon, but he says it's awesome. I haven't even seen it yet because it's wrapped in butcher paper and frozen. Maybe tomorrow I'll cook some up to try.

As far as pork bacon goes, I'm with geeme. I don't have a favorite brand, but I'm the guy that looks through all the packages for the one with the least amount of fat. And I like it a bit more crisp than chewy.

Anyone ever heard of venison bacon?? I always process my own deer, but a friend of mine brings his to a processor, and he just gave me some venison bacon to try. I can't even wrap my head around the idea of venison bacon, but he says it's awesome. I haven't even seen it yet because it's wrapped in butcher paper and frozen. Maybe tomorrow I'll cook some up to try.

As far as pork bacon goes, I'm with geeme. I don't have a favorite brand, but I'm the guy that looks through all the packages for the one with the least amount of fat. And I like it a bit more crisp than chewy.
WOW thats gotta be good!! lean too YUMMY!!!!!!!

Nueske's has the best bacon. Everything is applewood smoked. Actually they have the best ham too. We stock up any time we actually drive through that area of Wisconsin, but even the local Cub Foods stores in the Minneapolis area carry it now. When I physically stop in the store I usually by the ends and pieces which range from $2-3 a pound and are just fine for most of what I use bacon for. And how can you go wrong with a "bacon sampler?"

http://www.nueskes.com/

Bacon is in my blood, check out my family lineage... Joyner's and Gwaltney's of Smithfield Va.

Kick ass, are you serious? Gwaltney bacon is THE shit. Don't find it everywhere here, but in Florida it was my go to bacon for peppers. See they have Applewood Smoked now!!

Kick ass, are you serious? Gwaltney bacon is THE shit. Don't find it everywhere here, but in Florida it was my go to bacon for peppers. See they have Applewood Smoked now!!
Yep, that is where I slayed my 4 deer on a family farm in Smithfield, Va. My uncle cooks the best whole hog I have ever eaten and his from scratch baked beans are to die for...

I get the thick-cut bacon from the local butcher. It's realyl thick, somewhat lean and super delicious. I prefer my bacon to not be crispy or burnt - cooked of course, but not overcooked. I find with the thicker cut bacon it comes out perfectly every time, and if I make baked beans with bacon in it, it doesn't completely disintegrate like the pre-packaged thin-cut stuff.

I never spend extra for the peppered bacon - it's silly when I have a pepper grinder. Just pepper it myself and voila! Comes out great every time.

Anyone ever heard of venison bacon?? I always process my own deer, but a friend of mine brings his to a processor, and he just gave me some venison bacon to try. I can't even wrap my head around the idea of venison bacon, but he says it's awesome. I haven't even seen it yet because it's wrapped in butcher paper and frozen.

sounds really good - I've had venison sausage, but not bacon.

Bacon... So many kinds so little time. Currently I'm enjoying a french style bacon know as Ventreche. Simple yet sublime. I had some chinese style bacon a few weeks ago that was out-of-this-world good. Loaded with Sichuan peppers, cinnamon, anise & cloves. Wowie Zowie! Then there's the classic German styles, Polish... the list is endless. With all of that being said the absolute finest bacon I have personally eaten is that of the Mangalista pig. Only one vender in the U.S. that I'm aware of. Someplace in upstate NY. Sorry but I can't remember their name but search for Managalista bacon and you'll find them. I believe the last I ordered & had shipped to CA ran me about $2 an oz. !! The stuff is amazing though. The fat literally melts in your mouth. Incredible.
My 2 cents...

my fav is the kind i get from my next door neighbor at our arkansas house.. they raise pigs and i buy one every two years.. the last one was 400lbs..
I have it butchered and 3/4 of it smoked I like the thick style smoked stuff.. perfect.. and also the smoked pork chops are very good.. total cost for the last one..
150.00 for the hog.. 135 to butcher and smoke it up.. so total 280.00 yield after processing just under 300 lbs.. so less than a buck per pound
very tastey.. and cannot beat the price..

When days begin like this, they will be great days!

58449_4266724670732_1398554519_n.jpg

Back