• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Fermenting Peppers 101

Bpoole55 said:
Why ferment peppers?

Many reasons Bpoole55.  You'll get a more complex and nuanced finished product with fermentation, achieve certain flavors that you would not otherwise get, and the end result can be a shelf stable product without additional acids.  Fermenting was pretty much the first means of food preservation.  Don't take my word for it though - google is your friend :)

Chuck Wagon said:
 Free Fermentation how to E-Book 

After reading all the questions and the "wide" range of answers, this information might help those still on the fence about trying their first fermented peppers. This company has a long history of research on the topic and is a great source of information and recipes.
And yes....the last time I checked...hot peppers were still classified a vegetable, so their techniques and practices do apply.
Cultures for Health has a new e-book on Lacto Fermentation of vegetables.

This is the newest publication in their "free" e-book library that includes:

Kefir eBook
Yogurt eBook

Kombucha eBook
Sourdough eBook

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/cultures-for-health-ebooks

Wow thanks for posting this these are BIG ebooks over 200 pages loaded with lots of info on this topic.

Lacto-fermentation eBook

200 pages including 64 recipes
What is Lacto-fermentation?
An Introduction to Culturing Fruit
Choosing Ingredients and Equipment
A Basic Formula for Fermenting Vegetables and Preparation Techniques
Tips and Tricks for Addressing Common Fermentation Challenges
How to Know When Your Vegetables Are Ready for Cold Storage
Why Your Ferment Grew Mold, What You Can Do with It, and How to Prevent It
How to Make Fermented Vegetable Juices
Plus 64 Recipes for Vegetables, Fruits, and Condiments

Here is a direct link to the Lacto book http://culturesforhealth.com/media/docs/Lacto_Fermentation_eBook.pdf

Any of you ever have a ferment over a month old that seems to supercharge all of sudden have more activity than it has had over the first month?  I thought my green sauce was about ready to process and now its party inside that jar.

Ozzy2001 said:
Any of you ever have a ferment over a month old that seems to supercharge all of sudden have more activity than it has had over the first month?  I thought my green sauce was about ready to process and now its party inside that jar.

With all things being equal, I'd guess temp change, for the warmer.

I've had all the jars sitting on the same heating pad in the same room the whole time. The jar that has gotten more active is also from the same mix as the jar next to it (I ran out of big jars and split the blended mix in 2 smaller). I'm not worried that it's going bad or anything. It still smells fine coming out of the airlock. I just thought it was odd.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 68
I have a friend what I teaching the fermenting method with starter. He can did it and goes well.
Now has a doubt and he ask to me. I don't know saying an answer true if is bad or not. The yeast kahan maybe is good as it seems on the pic, but I don't know about the green line between the mash and the yeast. I never did see this in my ferments before.

What know to you guys?

9070a554a2839e2024360e5486d7f9d4.jpg

That doesn't look good, I really don't think that it's a kahm yeast. Best bet is to open it up and see what it smells like. If it doesn't smell good, it isn't good. Better safe than sorry and suffering with food poisoning.

Has anyone tried adding whole spices (unground) tied up inside a cheesecloth bag to their fermentation?  I was thinking allspice, peppercorns, mustard, cumin...these kinds of things.  I'm curious if they would add anything to the flavor profile if they aren't ground.

turbo said:
Has anyone tried adding whole spices (unground) tied up inside a cheesecloth bag to their fermentation?  I was thinking allspice, peppercorns, mustard, cumin...these kinds of things.  I'm curious if they would add anything to the flavor profile if they aren't ground.

I'm certain they would.  Part of me worries about long ferments picking up 'medicinal' type tints from whole seeds, but the rest of me is hog wild over the thought of cumin and allspice berries in a chocolate ferment...  

Nice post turbo

SmokenFire said:

I'm certain they would.  Part of me worries about long ferments picking up 'medicinal' type tints from whole seeds, but the rest of me is hog wild over the thought of cumin and allspice berries in a chocolate ferment...  

Nice post turbo

Yea, good point about long ferments.  I'd probably experiment with pulling the spices out after a couple weeks, then sealing the ferment back up for another month or two

Other than pepper seeds I've never included any whole or ground spice seeds in a ferment. I have used fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley. Thinking about the I'd probably now out them in the ferment but rather dry toast them a bit in a skillet and the powder them and add during processing for the best delivery of what I was looking for to the sauce.

I´ve been a fan of fermented products for over 40 years. Starting to learn the method from my father. Mostly sauerkraut.
In 2011 I tried to combine cabbage and chili and that was a success. Then came other vegetables along.

Habatusta.jpg

I have three clay pots specially made for fermenting. Includes a waterlock and halfmoon weight stones. 10 liters each and in use all the time.

Last september while smoking rocotos I made a batch of 4h oaksmoked rocotos (Bradleys smoker) and 2% salt coarsely mashed and fermented 4 weeks. Then I pureed the lot (only 5kg) and put it into plastic bottles (don´t break when I freeze the smoky rocoto soursalsa). So far the best I´ve made so far. Forget vinegar.

sauer%2520rocotos.jpg

haha... Sorry me too... I did wrong say, I wanted saying pumpkin. Sometimes I don't remember some words.

I did know that is a pumkin

32kg awesome!

Anyone done a cayenne pepper ferment? I have a load of pods starting to ripen, but it seems the general go is dry and powder them.  Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.  

Back