• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Fermenting Peppers 101

I would rather use less salt as well as I felt my jalapeno sauce was a little salty, even though others didn't think so.  I also have built my own starter with some cabbage and currently on my third day with the sourdough starter project (I gotta admit having the bread at the end is what sold me).  Anyway, I'll have a good starter on my next batch.

RM, do you still just use salt based on water volume and not pepper weight?  

kjwalker said:

RM, do you still just use salt based on water volume and not pepper weight?  

Yes, then taste the final sauce to see if what i give out to other's needs more salt added to it but I keep mine low.

I just checked my first habanero mash in a 1/2 gallon mason jar with an airlock and the pH is 3.26. Is this a good pH or should it be lower ? The flavor is awesome right now but I think I will let it go for another few weeks.

I'd like to try a ferment to use up some of my frozen pods. I have a vacuum sealer attachment for mason jars. And wondering if it would work well with the fermenting process. My plan is to vacuum seal the jar after everything is added, and periodically crack it open to release the CO2, then re-vacuum. This would save having to buy anything extra to gas out the CO2, while keeping out oxygen. Please forgive if this has been answered before. I did do some searching but didn't find anything.

Thanks!

Peter S said:
I'd like to try a ferment to use up some of my frozen pods. I have a vacuum sealer attachment for mason jars. And wondering if it would work well with the fermenting process. My plan is to vacuum seal the jar after everything is added, and periodically crack it open to release the CO2, then re-vacuum. This would save having to buy anything extra to gas out the CO2, while keeping out oxygen. Please forgive if this has been answered before. I did do some searching but didn't find anything.

Thanks!

Peter I think that would work just fine, though I prefer the ease of 'set it and forget it' airlocks for fermenting.  Still - I'm very big on using what you have/know and I can't see any reason why the method you describe would not work or be anything other than food safe.  Best of luck and start a thread w pics showing off your work!  :)

SmokenFire said:

Peter I think that would work just fine, though I prefer the ease of 'set it and forget it' airlocks for fermenting.  Still - I'm very big on using what you have/know and I can't see any reason why the method you describe would not work or be anything other than food safe.  Best of luck and start a thread w pics showing off your work!   :)

Awesome, will do. Thanks SmokenFire!

10915235_938070149536818_412219433337263780_n.jpg

Finished making the last of the fermented veggies and sauces for now. From the left is Mango Habanero hot sauce aging away, Jewish style deli pickles, a mild superfood mix hot sauce, and lastly some medium heat peppers. The superfood hot sauce contains pomegranates, garlic, red onions, medium heat peppers, fresh tumeric and ginger, thai ginger, and papaya. A very healthy, almost completely organic probiotic hot sauce. The pickles are nice and spicy as I added a bit of superhot sauce to innoculate them, and give them heat as well.  I am going to be doing a lot more fermenting this year, and it will not be only peppers and sauces.

You can see I only used 1 airlock, as the other lids have not been fitted for them. Oh well, it just means I have to check on them more often and make sure to burp them a couple times a day.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif 10915235_938070149536818_412219433337263780_n.jpg

Finished making the last of the fermented veggies and sauces for now. From the left is Mango Habanero hot sauce aging away, Jewish style deli pickles, a mild superfood mix hot sauce, and lastly some medium heat peppers. The superfood hot sauce contains pomegranates, garlic, red onions, medium heat peppers, fresh tumeric and ginger, thai ginger, and papaya. A very healthy, almost completely organic probiotic hot sauce. The pickles are nice and spicy as I added a bit of superhot sauce to innoculate them, and give them heat as well.  I am going to be doing a lot more fermenting this year, and it will not be only peppers and sauces.

You can see I only used 1 airlock, as the other lids have not been fitted for them. Oh well, it just means I have to check on them more often and make sure to burp them a couple times a day.

Noiiiice! Mind sharing your recipe for Mango hab? I've been looking for a good recipe for awhile ;-)

filmost said:
Noiiiice! Mind sharing your recipe for Mango hab? I've been looking for a good recipe for awhile ;-)

I do the pinch here pinch there, but here is the basics to making a really good sauce. Its just the basics, mangos and chocolate habs, but its the amounts and quality that will really make it. I use these organic mangos, but the best ones are the ones that come from my Father in law. He has a particular tree that produces these highly fragrant almost flowery scented mangoes that just destroy anything you find at most grocers in comparison. I like the chocolate habs because of their smokey flavor, but sometimes I mix. I am fluid with this recipe, knowing that if I stick to just these basics it will turn out great. I use a lot of each ingredient, but particularly the mangoes so that the flavor really shows up in the finished sauce. Most of the time it only contains these ingredients:
Mangoes
Chocolate habs or blended with Red Savinas
pink himalayan salt
purified water
stevia clear liquid

All ingredients except the stevia are fermented and aged. Once completed, and after tasting I add a few drops of stevia to add back in some sweetness to the flavor profile. 
It might not seem like many ingredients, but sometimes less is more. The best tasting hot sauce I have tried so far only has three ingredients. It is just Alleppo peppers, salt and water, then fermented and aged. I swear if you have never fermented Alleppos alone, you have to try it. I could not believe the sauce that came from those peppers once it had finished. I poured it over almost everything. Its still my most loved and used sauce.

I do the pinch here pinch there, but here is the basics to making a really good sauce. Its just the basics, mangos and chocolate habs, but its the amounts and quality that will really make it. I use these organic mangos, but the best ones are the ones that come from my Father in law. He has a particular tree that produces these highly fragrant almost flowery scented mangoes that just destroy anything you find at most grocers in comparison. I like the chocolate habs because of their smokey flavor, but sometimes I mix. I am fluid with this recipe, knowing that if I stick to just these basics it will turn out great. I use a lot of each ingredient, but particularly the mangoes so that the flavor really shows up in the finished sauce. Most of the time it only contains these ingredients:
Mangoes
Chocolate habs or blended with Red Savinas
pink himalayan salt
purified water
stevia clear liquid

All ingredients except the stevia are fermented and aged. Once completed, and after tasting I add a few drops of stevia to add back in some sweetness to the flavor profile. 
It might not seem like many ingredients, but sometimes less is more. The best tasting hot sauce I have tried so far only has three ingredients. It is just Alleppo peppers, salt and water, then fermented and aged. I swear if you have never fermented Alleppos alone, you have to try it. I could not believe the sauce that came from those peppers once it had finished. I poured it over almost everything. Its still my most loved and used sauce.

Damn I think. You may have helped me decide one is the last varieties I wanna grow this year. May have to add the allepo in for sure. Been considering it.

Thanks for the recipe! I'll have to give it a go with with what I got!

pungentSapling said:
 have a batch of ferment that is a bit more "cloudy" than my others...   ph is at 4.1...   should i be worried?
How long has it been fermenting?
You can always add something acidic to bring it down--BUT I would put it in a canning jar and put it in a pressure canner following directions for a canned sauce to kill anything that may have gotten into your sauce.

But if you have any doubt throw it out. Personally at 4.1 I wouldn't be too worried but I'd either let it sit longer or do what I proposed if you don't want to do that.

Did you use a starter? What kind?
http://www.pickyourown.org/botulism.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/Features/homecanning/

hot stuff said:
How long has it been fermenting?
You can always add something acidic to bring it down--BUT I would put it in a canning jar and put it in a pressure canner following directions for a canned sauce to kill anything that may have gotten into your sauce.

But if you have any doubt throw it out. Personally at 4.1 I wouldn't be too worried but I'd either let it sit longer or do what I proposed if you don't want to do that.

Did you use a starter? What kind?

http://www.pickyourown.org/botulism.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/Features/homecanning/

I did not use any starter (wild).   The fermentation has been going about 7 weeks.

Thanks!

pungentSapling said:
 have a batch of ferment that is a bit more "cloudy" than my others...   ph is at 4.1...   should i be worried?

Maybe, maybe not.

Cloudy is not "bad", necessarily.

A pH below 4.6 is considered safe by the USDA, however most folks shoot for below 4.0 just to be extra cautious. So, a pH of 4.1 is not “bad” either. But, I gotta say, after 7 weeks it sounds a little high to me.

Let your nose (and pH) be your guide. If a ferment has gone bad, the nose will know.

Here's some things to consider:

1. make sure the ferment is warm enough. Somewhere in the 70's is good. I hear Ontario can be cold this time of year. :)

2. Feed you LAB. Add some type of sugar.

3. Increase your LAB colony. Add some kraut juice, kimchi juice, probiotic capsule, etc.

4. Be patient

5. If this is a “closed” ferment, quit taking the lid off!
Best of luck to ya! Start a thread. Let us know how it goes. We love pics!

Back