• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First year growing peppers..

Hey guys, so i thought i would start a glog on my plants..
This is my first year growing peppers... I bought all these plants..I did not start them from seed.(dont hate me im new, lol) I had planned on doing so but have learnt iv got into pepper growing at the wrong time of year and have missed the window to grow from seed for this year.
Im afraid this wont be as exciting as many other glogs, but hey, gotta start somewhere and people like pictures :)

This is my sweet long yellow pepper..not sure of the actual type, tag just says long sweet yellow.
sweetyellow_zps39d02f1a.jpg

this is my Habanero plant..
habanero_zps036a965d.jpg

this is my cayenne plant
cayene_zps9e93b9c7.jpg

this is my (actually my girl friends plant)..its called "capsicum chili fire", someone said it might actually be a "wildfire" chilii..time will tell I guess. It seems to be taking AGES to flower.
fire_zps89a1b912.jpg

Now onto the fun stuff...here is my Bhut Jolokia. its quite a stocky wee thing. Is getting lots of pods on it..
bhut_zpse4499981.jpg

and lastly here is my yellow 7 pot..it must have like a hundred or more buds/ flowers on it..
yellow7pot2_zpscb52eb16.jpg

flowers flowers everywhere :)
yellow7pot_zps0b7c20b3.jpg

and here is my setup.
all_zps076f8ac5.jpg

thanks for looking :)

Runescape said:
Nice seeds dudes, how are the original habanero and 7pot plants doing?
ok these photos suck because it was getting dark..but anyway;

here is the 7pot yellow. its living outside at the moment. the last couple of night have been cold .almost freezing. not that you can tell from the pics..but believe it or not its actually got quite a few pods growing on it.
7potyellow_zpsf5c44dd3.jpg

here is the original jonah..this pic probably brings out its worst side lol..but anyway, its still alive, has a couple of red pods on it and more small ones. If they get to normal size remains to be seen..i doubt it though;
jonah_zps5584d1bc.jpg

here's the Habanero, its looking quite good really. it has lots of buds on it..it has been in the little grow shed thing whereas the other plants pictured havent been..
habanerox_zpsd2e56cfa.jpg

the cayenne (which i couldnt get a pic of because of lack of light) is doing very well. has loads of pods happening..its been living outside with the 7pot's

..now to get soaking some seeds  :dance:

Jonah is one of my favs also one of the few I grow every season! Not the hottest but darn good flavor! Congrats on your first season! We know you will be hooked for life! Muwahahahaha!

Rush35 said:
I can't wait for my new seeds to arrive from Semillas. Some more to add to the 50 or Jiffy's already on the go!

Im sure they will make it to you mate! No letter from biosecurity yet?
What method do you use for germination?
cheers

update time..
ok so this lot of seeds has been in the hot water cupboard for about 5 days now
jiffy_zps3f7eed3a.jpg

Im pretty happy because one of the seeds im most excited about has germinated! (the brown bhutlah). I will probably give it another day then  move him out of the hot water cupboard and onto my window sill...
bhutlahook_zpsf585b8d4.jpg

I decided to repot Big Boy Jonah as it was getting quite large, and i dont want to put any barriers in its way to growth..didnt seem too root bound. Seemed to have good thick roots though;
jonahroots1_zps60ef39b0.jpg

jonahroots2_zpsb689041e.jpg

and here is a pic of it after i repotted it.
from left to right is the Butch T, small jonah, then big boy jonah. I cant believe i planted big boy at the same time as the little one..the difference in size is insane.
plants_zps85c82dbc.jpg

Came home from work today to see two brown bhutlah hooks (that's 2 of 3 so far planted a week ago today - pretty good germ rate), and also an HP22B has germ'd.
The HP22B is smaller then the other two so it stayed in the hot water cupboard.
The two bhutlah's came out of the darkness and onto a windowsill for a little bit this afternoon.
Ill put them back in the hot water cupboard overnight tonight then leave them on the window sill tomorrow for the day..
Hopefully i get a T. Douglah hook soon!

20140605_1403561_zps1b464697.jpg

Nice work bro. Tell me are you getting the seeds into NZ all good?? I am coming back home to NZ to live with the family at some stage and want to get my seed collection home first ... Its going to be a mission!

Trippa said:
Nice work bro. Tell me are you getting the seeds into NZ all good?? I am coming back home to NZ to live with the family at some stage and want to get my seed collection home first ... Its going to be a mission!
I got a few packs in from England and they arrived no problem.I also know others who have gotten seeds from the USA and Europe no problem.
My last pack was opened by boarder security,probably just to make sure they weren't Cannabis seeds.
I dont think you would have a problem getting them through customs if you declare them. :)

Trippa said:

Yea it shouldent be too much of an issue.
I got a letter from biosecurity as they held my last seed shipment, but all they really wanted to know was a description, the botanical name, and the intended use. 
I did some research into it after I got the letter, and capsicum seeds fall under the "basic" rules for seed importation. Which pretty much means you just need to provide a description and botanical name.
I think my shipment got held up because it didnt have any botanical names for the seeds in the package.
Im confident if you were to send your package, along with a description and the botanical name you would be fine.

Yeah I figured as much ... Cheers for the info ..much appreciated ... Let's just hope they don't change the rules like Australia have done recently

That's it... I'm moving to NZ. The new regulations in Australia are suck. And seriously, NZ sounds like a place I would like.

Trips, you're still gonna smuggle me in when you go back, right...? :D

Awesome you are getting an early start, nzchilli, best way to do it!

Trippa said:
Yeah I figured as much ... Cheers for the info ..much appreciated ... Let's just hope they don't change the rules like Australia have done recently
I think they actually relaxed the regulations recently over here :)

got up this morning to see 2 x T.douglah hooks!
also the hp22b hook may have an issue, it has white mould on it..is that damping off?
mould_zps175a9590.jpg

here is my 2 x bhutlah sprouts, and the bigger of the two douglahs..the smaller one is still in hot water cupboard..
the bhutlah's should green up a bit today as they get some light on their new cotys :)
newsprouts_zps04c19d9b.jpg

big boy jonah is really big.. and is starting to put on lots of buds...i have been thinking quite a bit about snipping some off and i think i have decided to leave it be and see what it can do, seems to be doing perfectly well...
what does anyone else think?
budding_zps041b62da.jpg

and here are my unknown fiji chilis, they seem to be happy enough 
fijichili_zpsce867831.jpg

nzchili said:
I think they actually relaxed the regulations recently over here :)
Yeah, that'd be right... no doubt just so you lot can have a good laugh at us over here! ;)

nzchili said:
and here are my unknown fiji chilis, they seem to be happy enough 
fijichili_zpsce867831.jpg
Those things are putting out some nice lateral growth. :cool:

Subscribed.

I too am trying my hand at growing a few super hots and a few not so hots. Seeing your thread has made me even more excited for mine to start producing fruit. Good luck and keep us updated.

update time,
3 of 3 Brown Bhutlah's have sprouted  :party:
3 of 3 of the T. Douglah have sprouted  :party:  (two have their coty's the other is still a hook and will probably see light for the first time tomorrow)
1 of 2 of the HP22Bs hooked, but it got attacked by damping off. Its still alive but progress is slow. I have not decided if i will plant some new seeds, or let it do its thing.
0 of 2 of the 7pot whites have sprouted. I will probably put a couple more to soak tonight, along with a few other varieties.
so far im very happy with the germination rates of the seeds, and there is still hope for the others as its still been less than two weeks.  :dance: im glad i kept myself under control and only planted a couple of seeds of each type otherwise id have way to many plants.. and i hate to cull!
heres a pic of the three Brown Bhutlah (SLP)
20140610_165424_zps541497bf.jpg

here are two of the T Douglah's the other is still in the hot water cupboard
20140610_165431_zpsa8439645.jpg

and here is the cayenne plant that is outside and has been in a battle with aphids for ages. I have stopped battling them over winter and are letting these little parasitic wasps fight them..there is lots of crap from the insects on the plant but in general its doing OK. there are lots of pods on it. its interesting the aphids seem to mostly leave the the Chinense's alone but love my cayenne.
20140607_0959321_zps96f7cc81.jpg

Back