• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First year growing peppers..

Hey guys, so i thought i would start a glog on my plants..
This is my first year growing peppers... I bought all these plants..I did not start them from seed.(dont hate me im new, lol) I had planned on doing so but have learnt iv got into pepper growing at the wrong time of year and have missed the window to grow from seed for this year.
Im afraid this wont be as exciting as many other glogs, but hey, gotta start somewhere and people like pictures :)

This is my sweet long yellow pepper..not sure of the actual type, tag just says long sweet yellow.
sweetyellow_zps39d02f1a.jpg

this is my Habanero plant..
habanero_zps036a965d.jpg

this is my cayenne plant
cayene_zps9e93b9c7.jpg

this is my (actually my girl friends plant)..its called "capsicum chili fire", someone said it might actually be a "wildfire" chilii..time will tell I guess. It seems to be taking AGES to flower.
fire_zps89a1b912.jpg

Now onto the fun stuff...here is my Bhut Jolokia. its quite a stocky wee thing. Is getting lots of pods on it..
bhut_zpse4499981.jpg

and lastly here is my yellow 7 pot..it must have like a hundred or more buds/ flowers on it..
yellow7pot2_zpscb52eb16.jpg

flowers flowers everywhere :)
yellow7pot_zps0b7c20b3.jpg

and here is my setup.
all_zps076f8ac5.jpg

thanks for looking :)

Just a small update, its officially spring today down here in New Zealand! 
Wohoo!  Soon things should really get going.

Jonah and Butch T both have open flowers now, I still have not seen any pollen in them though..it might be a few more weeks until its ready and warm enough..but well see..

Even through the weather was crap I decided to make a few holes in the garden in places where I want to plant peppers..I dug a few holes/loosened the dirt around some of my fruit trees..(the areas gets hundreds and hundreds of fruit & berries dropped onto it every year) I want to put a pube in there that can hopefully live year round. 

I will also probably put my tough as habanero that survived the winter in there somewhere and see if it can become a real perennial.\
(yes i made more then one hole, and the hole is filled in with loose dirt..)

20140830_120932_zps9d09f15b.jpg

20140830_120947_zpsea5fddee.jpg

ground seems fertile, one turn of the garden fork..I felt kind of bad..there were so many worms! I put them into my compost pile..
20140830_120953_zps9f767377.jpg

Hope to have some plants in the ground perhaps next weekend..
cheers 

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hi everyone, I guess its update time..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Most of the plants are doing well, though I had a few casualties recently.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]A month or so back I potted about 20 plants up. Half into a store bought “acid mix” and the rest I put into a mix of the “acid mix” and normal cheap potting mix.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Anyway the plants that went in the straight acid mix have done terribly..I decided to PH test the soil in every pot and put aside the ones with low readings..it makes sense but all the ones I had put aside with a funky PH were the ones that looked like crap. (Some tested below PH 3.5!)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I repotted the plants that I put aside into normal potting mix to hopefully recover.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Something I found interesting was that EVERY one of the plants that looked terrible that I repotted – the roots were small and confined to a small piece of peat. The roots did not appear to have moved from the jiffy pellet into the rest of the grow medium..weird..(I remove the mesh, and most of the peat from the pellet off the roots when potting)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Anyway enough of the ramblings..here’s some pictures..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]The first plant for the year is in the ground amongst the fruit trees! its a Lamba Mircha (not the one with the doubled stems) So far so good, its been out for a few days now..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
firstplantinthegroundlambamircha_zps85882b63.jpg
[/SIZE]

Pubes and Douglah's are doing well. The pubes came from a member here robisburning (thanks rob). The turbo pube has already forked;
miscplants_zps89a55461.jpg

pubeslookinggood_zps947503fa.jpg

Brown Bhutlah's are looking good, they have stayed indoors..(small enough to keep on my windowsill still)
brownbhutlah_zps26a4a92c.jpg

Heres one of my trays of babies on my windowsill...theres a few supers, some pubes and a C.galapagoense :party:  :dance: . Also Looking forward to the "rocoto marlene"
sprouts_zps10d2777b.jpg

I just potted up the "mutant yellow 7"
mutantyellow7_zps44a8c521.jpg

"big jonah" that got pruned is doing well..a couple of weeks away from open flowers id say
jonahrecovering_zpsc32cc2f8.jpg

aaannd "small jonah" has pod set!! Lots of flowers, have not seen a single one drop yet!
jonahpodset_zpsa22d2e6b.jpg

Butch T also has pod set! not as many buds as the jonah but again no flower drop so that's good 
butchtpodset_zpsb9737588.jpg

And lastly, yup spring is here  ;)   Strawberries starting to do their thing..
strawberryspringishere_zps906261b8.jpg

cheers 

Awesome, looking good. Noticed one of my pubes has split and has what appears to be the beginnings of its first flower so yours should be close.  When I repotted mine last week they were just starting to get a bit root bound fyi.  What are you picking for first ripe pod of the year?... Jonah?

Robisburning said:
Awesome, looking good. Noticed one of my pubes has split and has what appears to be the beginnings of its first flower so yours should be close.  When I repotted mine last week they were just starting to get a bit root bound fyi.  What are you picking for first ripe pod of the year?... Jonah?

Hey Rob, Transplanting the pubes is on my list of things to do this coming weekend, they just seemed to be going so well i figured they could keep doing what they were doing a little more. Which of yours has forked? is it also a turbo pube? 

Im guessing the first ripe pod will be probably be from the double stem'd  Lamba Mircha.  Im just guessing the Lamba because its also set some pods now, and as its not a chinense so im picking it may ripen slightly faster.
Remains to be seen though.
The double stem plant is turning into a beast..will need to get some pics of that one. The small one which i dont care as much about is the one I stuck in the garden

Has your lamba mircha sprouted? 

Yeah, it was my turbo pube that has branched and right where it branched there is a single flower forming.

No lamba mircha sprouts.  If they do pop they will overwinter inside.

Glad things are looking so good for you

Hey guys, time for a small update. I guess im technically onto my second season growing now!??

Anyway, things have been a mixture of good and bad. Iv lost many small plants and seedlings to various things including damping off, soil that was way too acidic, and dog attacks.
I lost "small jonah" that had set about 50 pods..iv still got it..cut down to nothing hoping it comes back..

Anyway, not all is bad! here are a few pics.
One of my brown Bhutlah's is flowering, 5 buds at the first node is quite un-common for me. Usually my plants seem to make small runty buds that usually fall off at the first fork node.
20141001_134329_zps8f914f8d.jpg

Big Jonah has set some fruit! Interestingly - this plant smells like watermelon. Iv asked multiple people what they think it smells like and everyone has said melon. Not sure if that's different or not?
The pods are more elongated then the mother plant, im thinking it may be a cross between jonah and bhut. 
20141007_140800_zps896adc43.jpg

The pubes are doing really well, should have open flowers in a week or so I think;
20141007_140659_zpsd54cc14e.jpg

this is the big lamba mircha, im still considering sticking this one in the ground..
20141001_133948_zps6b6ee76e.jpg

Lamba mircha in the ground..this is turning into a tough plant..its braved  lots of 100+ kmph winds recently. I recently put a thick ring of copper around the base of the plants in the ground to stop slugs..
20141001_134019_zps729cd912.jpg

this plant looks a bit beaten up but is getting some serious side growth. I call it the 100kmph douglah..it was chemically topped and sat out in the insane winds and weather (not where its sitting  now) for several weeks. Its sort of permanently wind swepped.
20141007_140708_zpsbc2e7a62.jpg

C. Galapagoense....jeeze they grow SLOW!! I actually had a bit of luck with these, I managed to get 3 to germ.
20141001_134314_zps5031ddcd.jpg

I made my own soil, I used peat, organic compost, perlite, a tiny bit of vermiculite, sheep pellets, bark, trace elements, and some tomato food..heres what it looks like
20141001_134041_zps43515b9b.jpg

This is the "mutant yellow7" that came out of the mutated double seed..looks normal so far, am interested to see how it turns out though;
20141001_134309_zps1bc3c890.jpg

Its been very windy here recently! 
20141008_171545_zpsf2588ccd.jpg

Hello everyone! Had a pretty big weekend of gardening..
Got the old veges cleared out of the raised bed, soil amended and planted a bunch of stuff..
Here's my strawberry plants :)..the 3 big ones have been in there since last year. I had some spinach and kale planted around them which I just pulled out and added another 7 strawberry plants...they seem to survive well over winter so i figured ill just devote that whole side to strawberries.
20141012_105118_zpsb6aa3000.jpg

I also planted a couple of passion fruit vines. Yuummmyyy! Heres on of them..(its the thing in the ground behind the raised bed)
20141012_105141_zps1fa6cbc5.jpg

This was the other side of the raises bed...it got a bit out of control! There's some silverbeat, coriander and kale in there..I pulled it all out to make room for this years tomatoes...Forgot to get a pic..
This year I have Russian Reds, Sweet 100 F1 Hybrid and ..another one that I forgot..
20141012_105154_zps7f5f5618.jpg

Ok now for some pepper stuff...Turbo Pube has its first open flower! A couple of the other pubes are only a couple of days behind. Am interested to see if it holds onto its flowers.
20141012_110504_zpsb571448d.jpg

My biggest Brown Bhutlah went into a bigger pot..here it is hiding behind my cinderblock wind break :)
20141012_111015_zps8763e92a.jpg

Brown Bhutlah has pod set! sorry about the crappy pic...but the bricks are nice and focused! I think 3 of 5 buds at the first fork have set so far;
20141012_111113_zpscd2da4bb.jpg

Jonah also went into a bigger pot and seems happy
20141012_111030_zps3368153e.jpg

And Lastly, just a pic of a couple of pods on the jonah..starting to get some bumpy texture
20141012_111046_zps377786a7.jpg

cheers 

Back