dehydrators Food Dehydrator Opinions

I ended up with the one I found on ebay. Got lucky and got outbid. I found out the guys warehouse is about a 40 minute drive. Sent him an email, made a phone call and drove down and picked it up. A heck of a lot cheaper than my ebay bid too!

I'm hoping to give it a run tomorrow. I'll let you folks know how it works.

Thanks again for all the help.

Excaliber

I got the Excaliber 5 tray - it's perfect. It doesn't have a timer, but I usually run it overnite for peppers and jerky, and occasionally I rotate the trays during, but that's not mandatory.

I like the screens- never a sticking problem.

The unit is a little loud, but you get used to it.

bought another 5 trays for the dehydrator, that makes ten trays so I can make bigger batches of jerky - hopefully this weekend if I can get the right meat

btw bent - the last batch I made really was no good, I even threw some of it away because I was that disappointed, so I wasn't just pulling your leg so I didn't have to share - can't go upsetting the mods now can I?

Since my dehydrator went belly up I finally found the number of the company...figured I could replace the motor part..sure they have them but they cost $12.00 more than the entire dehydrator cost to start with...guess it's cheaper to buy the whole thing than to buy a part for it. Now that makes no sense to me.

pepperfever said:
Since my dehydrator went belly up I finally found the number of the company...figured I could replace the motor part..sure they have them but they cost $12.00 more than the entire dehydrator cost to start with...guess it's cheaper to buy the whole thing than to buy a part for it. Now that makes no sense to me.

Cars are the same way. It you built a brand new car part for part it would be approximately 5 times the original sticker price of the car. Most of everything manufactured on an assembly line is like priced that. They don't make too much profit margin on the whole item(so they can make the initial sale, of course), but they sure as heck make it up on the parts.

It's winter, so I've lost my free dehydrator. :)
Maybe I'll build one... it's time to do some reading. :lol:

chilliman64 said:
I have an Ultra FD1000 (1000 watts), it's round dehydrator. has anyone compared say an Excalibur (are they 600 watts) to one of the FD 1000s as far as drying speed goes? I'be been thinking about upgrading to a 9-tray Excalibur but if my 1000 watt-er is better then I'll just buy a few more trays.

I was looking at a Hillmark yesterday at Myer not sure, if it was the FD1000 model though. I'm leaning towards one of these at the moment.

I've got a cheapie dehydrator that takes a little longer, but I've dried tomato's, peppers, and LOTS of shrooms with no problem. They all work. I hear one with a fan is better, but if you don't mind the wait one with just heat works just fine too.

So far good with the dehydrator. It's mostly plastic so it isn't built for the long, long haul. However I'm sure with a bit of TLC I can get my monies worth. It does the job I got it for so no complaints from me.

Back