• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Four-Pepper False Start Glog

While I'm (successfully) growing plenty of herbs at the moment, the important stuff is obviously the peppers... and, since I'm pretty sure I baked the first set of seeds I attempted to germinate due to underestimating the power of my seedling heat mat after moving it into the grow tent, we're calling that a swing and a miss and moving on with Batch #2.

Tomorrow night they'll get the coffee-filter-in-a-baggie treatment and a hopefully-more-comfortable place in a lovely fluffy towel on the mat.

Found powder-free nitrile gloves on J Amazon and ordered a batch of those, since I anticipate making sauce out of some of those 21500's soon (and because the gloves my wife buys for kimchi are absolute garbage). Also just got an order of those tiny plastic ziplocs, so I'm all set for cross pollination and isolation.

Just finished harvesting the J bells, so those should be happily concentrating on new vegetation.

jbells.jpg

And I'm happy to report that my single solitary choco hab seems to have started ripening! :)

almost-chab.jpg

The outside plants are alive, though they look slightly malnourished. Hoping to get them out permanently in the next week or two, so hopefully they'll even out then.

I had lunch with one of the recruiters I know here today (they've always got people to pawn off on good companies, but there's a few of them I like, so I'm happy to let them buy me the occasional steak lunch). He was enthusiastic about my pepper enthusiasm, though, so I'm going to hand off one of my hawk's claws to him. Who's the recruiter now?!  :cool:

I finally got around to calibrating my pH meter and testing my water.

Out of the tap (through a built-in filter): 7.3
After boiling for 20 minutes and sitting for about an hour: 8.7
After adding fertilizer and cal-mag: 6.8
Some water I did this to last week that's been sitting in a spray bottle: 5.3

This shit is all over the damn place.  :confused:

CaneDog said:
That has to be frustrating.  What meter did you get?  Does it measure the test solutions accurately now post calibration?  

J Bells and CGN's already. C Hab on the way.  Seems like things are happening.

Seriously frustrating, yeah. I bought a cheapish meter, but yeah, it tested accurately several times (didn't really believe the measurements so I kept going back to the calibration solutions).

I'm definitely getting some results, but it's really inconsistent, and I can't for the life of me get anything to grow uniformly no matter how often or rarely I feed them or what the concentrations are. Always end up with warped leaves or stalled plants and pH seems to be the only thing I haven't at least tried to address yet.

We recently got a letter from customs here; they did get the last seed shipment WHP sent, but they said starting last October they really clamped down on anything planty or animalish that comes in without having been inspected and approved by the originating country's government. At least they decided not to come after me for it, which is good, since it's up to 3 years in jail and/or a 1,000,000 JPY (9,000 USD) fine.  :rolleyes:

internationalfish said:
We recently got a letter from customs here; they did get the last seed shipment WHP sent, but they said starting last October they really clamped down on anything planty or animalish that comes in without having been inspected and approved by the originating country's government. At least they decided not to come after me for it, which is good, since it's up to 3 years in jail and/or a 1,000,000 JPY (9,000 USD) fine.  :rolleyes:

:shocked:  Seems they play for reals in the LOTRS.

But you just know there's a government worker somewhere waiting for those Solid Gold's to pop...

CaneDog said:
:shocked:  Seems they play for reals in the LOTRS.

They love rules here. And their legal system is a world-renowned travesty; arbitrary detention periods, 99% conviction rate, coerced confessions... it's not a place to mess around. Just one of those things you either accept or leave (or don't pay attention to and learn about the very, very hard way, which you occasionally hear about with clueless kids bringing in weed or something).

CaneDog said:
But you just know there's a government worker somewhere waiting for those Solid Gold's to pop...

Ha! Well that bastard is in for a good long wait! :D

Brought a white devil's tongue to the office (left) today. Also, the other day, I pulled the J bell peppers to let the plant get its leaf on; they were consumed rapidly by my coworkers before I knew what was going on. I didn't even get to try one. 
lol.gif

Also just cut the CGN 21500s off; they're out for any brave souls to take, which two people already have. Looking forward to the reviews. Everyone has been adequately warned of their heat level.

office-plants-update.jpg

Your grow keeps developing in all kinds of interesting
ways, Fish! I hope your plans to get your plants permanently
settled into their final locations work out sooner rather than later.

PaulG said:
Your grow keeps developing in all kinds of interesting
ways, Fish! I hope your plans to get your plants permanently
settled into their final locations work out sooner rather than later.

Haha, yes, "interesting" describes it well.

I may bring the outside peppers in tonight and possibly this weekend, but starting next week, it's looking pretty solid for leaving them out 24/7.

I've managed to find homes for two of my takanotsume, and a third is probably coming to work, which just leaves two stragglers. Also going to have two Korean pepper plants going outside with a third to find a place for.

Currently trying to figure out the leaf curl most of my Kratkies are suffering from, and one of the smaller plants (a maybe-SLR) is also showing some yellowing and burn, which I don't love. Planning to pull the small ones out and stick them in coir anyway, but I do need to be able to get plants to the point of producing pods for growing out hybrids, or those little Kratky bottles are completely pointless.

For the tent, I'm thinking of keeping only the six plants currently in the white gallon bags o' coir up top, and splitting them between two large trays. That would give them quite a bit of room to grow. Clockwise from back left, I think those are lemon drop, purple UFO, chocolate hab, CGN 21500, ghost, and SLR.

tentacles.jpg

The bottom will be dedicated to Kratky, particularly hybrids. The plant in the center there is the white devil's tongue that just migrated to the office (picture is from this morning).

A significant update! Got up early this morning, so even after plenty of lazy time, I had a lot left on my hands to get a little work done. If you've seen the 'Living Death Bonchi,' you know where I got the idea for this.

My wife relented on letting me use the little tomb decoration I bought specifically for this, so hooray! This first one is really an experiment, so I'm starting it in a small... planter? Pot? Thing? What do you call these, anyway?

tomb-foundation.jpg

Regardless, I stuck that in some soil. I figure it should have more than enough room for the roots to grow down around it like this; I don't want them to stray too far anyway.

I washed off one of my hawk's claw kids for this. Here it is coming out of the coir.

tomb-uprooted.jpg

It cleaned up reasonably well, though the roots weren't nearly as interested in working with me as I'd hoped. Oh well. It might still work out; I think the placement should be decent.

tomb-secured.jpg

tomb-secured-front.jpg

After that I packed it in with soil and wrapped it. Always practice safe bonchi.

tomb-buried.jpg

tomb-safety.jpg

So that's done. Saturated it pretty well, and from now on it'll get bottom watered only to encourage the roots. In probably a month or two, if it's still doing well, I'll think about starting to pull down the soil.

After that I pulled a few things out of the Kratky bottles they were in. The Zapotec jalapeno has officially been retired; it just did not want to grow, and the sponge it was in wasn't going to transplant happily into a reasonably-sized container. RIP.

The caribe, though, looks pretty good and might be OK in its new home. Its sponge is poking up comically since it was just a bit too tall to fit in there comfortably; we'll see if those things inhibit growth or whether this will actually work. The giant white habanero next to it... not... exactly... giant. Turns out it barely got past the radicle stage, but it doesn't seem to be dead, so I'll give it some time in coir and see if it improves. Now that I'm looking at the picture, I can't even find it. It's there, though, I promise.

de-kratkied.jpg

And the current state of the tent. Gave the plants up top some breathing room now that the entire bottom is open for business.

updated-tent.jpg

tomb-safety.png

PaulG said:
Busy, busy, Fish!

Cool tombstone project, cant wait to
see in in a couple of months.

All of five days later, it's looking... remarkably poor. Hoping it comes around, but it's not looking good.  :confused:

On another topic, I picked my first chocolate habanero.

A MIGHTY HARVEST!

mighty-harvest.jpg

Looks good on the inside, though.

choco-hab-innards.jpg

I'm glad I learned my lesson with the CGN 21500, because if I'd popped this entire thing into my mouth, I think I'd have had a seizure. I tried a little slice of it. I'm honestly disappointed; I'd heard this pepper had a really unique flavor, but all I got is that chinense floral note, which I now understand after reading about it and now having directly sampled two different varieties. I'll certainly give them a try for sauce, and hopefully in larger quantity with salt and some aromatics it'll grow a taste.

My outdoor peppers have been in the carport for a few days now and they're looking very good. Also finally started pH adjusting my tap water, so hopefully that just kind of helps in general. And I started diluting what I feed my Kratky kids, which have been showing what looks like nitrogen toxicity.

Currently working on another batch of fertilizer for the plants in the gallon coir bags. They're thirsty buggers.

internationalfish said:

I'm glad I learned my lesson with the CGN 21500, because if I'd popped this entire thing into my mouth, I think I'd have had a seizure.

CaneDog said:
jdi.gif
= JUST DO IT!

C'mon, do it.

internationalfish said:

Maybe I started drinking too early (on a Thursday?! Scandalous!) but I don't get it.  :?:

Or, maybe you didn't start drinking early enough?   :cheers:

Back