• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Four-Pepper False Start Glog

While I'm (successfully) growing plenty of herbs at the moment, the important stuff is obviously the peppers... and, since I'm pretty sure I baked the first set of seeds I attempted to germinate due to underestimating the power of my seedling heat mat after moving it into the grow tent, we're calling that a swing and a miss and moving on with Batch #2.

Tomorrow night they'll get the coffee-filter-in-a-baggie treatment and a hopefully-more-comfortable place in a lovely fluffy towel on the mat.

Top draw, PG!  :cool:

Ooh, unrelated: I just did my first seed exchange! Found a Reddit person who lives in some freaking mountain town and was looking for 21500's and purple UFOs, so we swapped. Now I have two different types of cayenne, which I hadn't even thought of growing, and scotch bonnets as well!

Plus, somehow I managed to drop two seeds around the same time while planting, and I have no idea what they are. Think I'm going to start them in a small pot with one other and see if I can get two or three to fuse. I managed to kill a hawk's claw recently because I haven't been checking the tent often enough, so hopefully having a couple little projects in there will keep me going back more often.

Argh. I opened the exchange package from my pepper pen pal, and at least two varieties -- including the scotch bonnets -- are from Pepper Joe's.  :confused:

In slightly better news, the three Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw x Large Red Jamaican Habanero F1 seeds I planted are all up with true leaves and looking good. The tombstone bonchi is also looking fine, as are my other 'big' plants (I still haven't staked my SLR, though it finally occurred to me that I have a bunch of disposable chopsticks that will probably work just fine for that; we'll see how long it takes them to start degrading and then maybe I'll find something better).

The outdoor peppers are looking fine, and while the lemon drop is still the only one producing well (nothing ripe yet, but plenty of green pods), the J bell peppers have joined the party with a bunch of small ones set.

The white devil's tongue at my office still hasn't even thought about fruiting, so I think I'm going to trash that and replace it with one of the hawk's claws I've had sitting outside for a while now. I imagine my Japanese coworkers would be happier with something native anyway.

Great news all around 'fish, and the disposable chopstick method is the one I'm using too - they definitely seem to last a season, and probable even 1-2 more.

I'm sure now that summer is soon upon us, your other plants will start producing too - that Aji Lemon is simply such a proliferative plant, it's way ahead of the rest :)

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

lespaulde said:
Great news all around 'fish, and the disposable chopstick method is the one I'm using too - they definitely seem to last a season, and probable even 1-2 more.

I'm sure now that summer is soon upon us, your other plants will start producing too - that Aji Lemon is simply such a proliferative plant, it's way ahead of the rest :)

Thanks for the input. :) Good to hear your chopsticks are lasting that long. I've never actually had a plant do this before, possibly because I usually top them so they grow out a lot more than they do up.

The maybe-SLR's I have in undersized Kratky bottles seem to be stagnating; thinking of just tossing them. The whole bottle idea is being abandoned anyway, and as long as I don't do something horribly stupid (fingers crossed) and the new one actually is on pheno (toes crossed), I don't think there's much reason to keep them around for what little they might yield compared to the time I spend on them.

Really wish I had more room outside.

Holy crap. I've been just dousing these guys in water and/or fertilizer and they've gone nuts in the last week.  :shocked:

jungle-up-there.jpg

Going to have to pull them out individually and check for set pods; I think there might be a couple in there somewhere. Also won't be able to chop-stake the SLR without completely removing it. It's flowering nicely, so if I'm really lucky, by the time I get around to doing that I might have the beginnings of a pod to show for it.

The bottom level is doing OK, too.

depths.jpg

Bottom front are three healthy WHP F1's. Tombstone is looking pretty good as well. :)

I migrated most of my outside plants from the carport to the third floor balcony, and was pleasantly surprised to find out that I completely missed these ripe lemon drops. :)

shocker.jpg

There's a nice batch waiting to ripen, but I guess these guys got tired of waiting.

tabled.jpg

I was nervous about trying them, but wow, the flavor is excellent! I don't know if I'd call it citrusy, exactly, but it's something similar to that and I can see where people make the connection. Nice heat, too. Really, really looking forward to making sauce with these.

My parents are currently visiting, and while they didn't bring Goldfish crackers, they did surprise me with these. Can't remember the last time I had them; pretty good.

foutons.jpg

karoo said:
Great surprise!
I'm glad that you enjoy those Lemon Drops , one of my favourites.

I can see why. That plant seems to be doing very well, so that's exciting. :)

I didn't get a group shot when I moved them out, so here you go. It's freaking hot on that porch, but so far they seem to be enjoying it; looks like several that weren't before have started setting pods.

verandaserum.jpg

In the spirit of continued randomness: We took my parents to a major sumo tournament yesterday (the same one Trump will be attending this weekend -- today, actually, I think -- for anyone keeping track). The zoom on my phone isn't amazing, and neither were the seats, but it's a really great time. This picture was taken during the last match, in which one of the yokozuna (top ranked sumo) lost in a questionable decision after an uncommonly long, drawn-out discussion among the officials. Ah well.

yownedkozuna.jpg

Your grow is in tip-top shape, Fish.

Those Lemon Drops look great.
They make a very flavorful, mild powder.
One bush can give you a lifetime supply!

The balcony shot is almost as awesome
as the package of Fig Newtons and the
sumo match!

PaulG said:
Your grow is in tip-top shape, Fish.

Those Lemon Drops look great.
They make a very flavorful, mild powder.
One bush can give you a lifetime supply!

The balcony shot is almost as awesome
as the package of Fig Newtons and the
sumo match!

Thanks, Paul! I figure I have about six months of growing time before Tokyo says "up yours" and gives us what passes for winter here. Which ought to be plenty of time for these guys to give me some nice harvests. I've already had to pick two massive rounds of buds off of the alma paprika to try and get it to bulk up a bit before it starts producing again.

Next up, though, is typhoon season. I've been kicking myself for going overboard on the perlite (everything dries out too quickly right now), but I think that's going to end up working well for the balcony plants.

This morning I airlifted the hose to the third floor (read: fun with a long string). No one had started wilting, but they were right on the edge, so it was good timing; yesterday got really hot.

This goronong has been kind of questionable -- there's probably 8" of stem down there with nothing growing on it -- but it's looking pretty good now and I think there's at least one set pod in there.

patio-goronong.jpg

My fish pepper is also setting pods! I counted two, but it's kind of wedged in the back, so it's likely there are more.

patio-fish.jpg

My Japanese bells are, predictably, going wild. This one has two fairly large pods and a whole lot of smaller ones; you can see one in the middle left. There's another in the center back, but it didn't come through as well as I thought it would when I took the picture.

patio-j-bells.jpg

The hawk's claws are looking good, too. Although I'm hoping those droopers look up as they set, otherwise these... probably aren't actually hawk's claws. Eh.

patio-hawks-claw.jpg

The lemon drops continue to do their viney thing and ripen like gangbusters. At this rate I might get a harvest large enough to start a tiny jar of mash way sooner than I thought. :)

patio-ripening-drops.jpg

Today is my parents' last day in Tokyo, and they're already planning stuff for their next trip. Last night we hit Odaiba, a shopping area built on reclaimed land in Tokyo Bay. They have a mini Statue of Liberty there, so I'll end this update on a random note, too.

tokyo-bay-liberty.jpg

Just a quick note: Planning to move my Growdown SLR into a larger container with soil and get it outside. I still don't know why nothing in the tent (except the lemon drop, which seems to be a pattern) is setting fruit, and I don't want to be waiting even longer to get in the game.

Since it looks like I didn't put a picture of the freshly-chopstaked SLR in here:

gentle-throwdown.jpg

Moving this out would free up room for another 1-gallon bag in the tent, for which there are always candidates.

Also thinking of braiding the three Jigsaw x Hab F1 (WHP) seedlings I have to see if I can get them to fuse. It'd take up a lot less room to grow out three of those in a single container... and if that works well enough it'd be a nice way to save room growing out future generations, since my mini-Kratky idea didn't pan out.

I let my tent plants go a bit too long without water again. No one got hurt, but it ended up being oddly fortuitous, since that meant this Sri Lanka Red was all ready for transplant.

slr-pre-transplant.jpg

It went up from 1 gallon of coir+perlite to 3 gallons of mostly soil, with the original gallon mixed in. Didn't take it long to perk up after I got it watered in and set out on the balcony with its new friends. Looks like I could probably get two or three more of these bags out there, so that's also a plus. :)

slr-post-transplant.jpg

THERE IS SOMETHING FISHY ABOUT THIS PEPPER.

fish-variegation.jpg

There'd be no way to get all the pods on my Japanese bells in one or even two pictures, so here's just a taste.

j-bell-growth.jpg

My hawk's claw plants are looking healthy. Taking one to work and giving the other two away soon.

new-claws.jpg

Aaaaand a pepper! Of... some sort! I have no idea what this is! Hooray! 
lol.gif

plant-of-the-unknown-pepper.jpg

And one last update: My happy little plum tree is happy and little.

plum-tree.jpg

CaneDog said:
Wow man!  It's great to see how well things are doing. And not a bad thing that nature and your balcony can carry some of the load now.  I see a lot of peppers in your future over these coming months.

Thank you! I'm really stoked for the outsiders.

Actually found a pod -- once again, just one damn pod -- on my purple UFO in the tent. And it looks like crap. I really think I must be doing something fundamentally wrong that's causing these plants not to set decent fruit.  :confused:

My bottom shelf experiments keep chugging along.

bottom-shelf-experiments.jpg

Front left: Three healthy little Jigsaw x Jamaican hab F1s.

Front center: Tombstone bonchi-ish. Also looking very healthy and feeling solidly rooted.

Back right: Caribe, I think. I moved it out of a Kratky bottle when I decommissioned those; one I did that to and put outside is looking rather stunted, but this one seems good. Probably going to put it into soil and send it out onto the balcony.

Back left: Newly-identified second-string SLR. Not really sure what to do with this; it might get its own coir bag, though the others in that situation just haven't been yielding results, so I'm hesitant to keep going that direction with new plants. Haven't come up with an alternative yet, though.

Back