• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Four-Pepper False Start Glog

While I'm (successfully) growing plenty of herbs at the moment, the important stuff is obviously the peppers... and, since I'm pretty sure I baked the first set of seeds I attempted to germinate due to underestimating the power of my seedling heat mat after moving it into the grow tent, we're calling that a swing and a miss and moving on with Batch #2.

Tomorrow night they'll get the coffee-filter-in-a-baggie treatment and a hopefully-more-comfortable place in a lovely fluffy towel on the mat.

CaneDog said:
Welcome back iFish!  Looks like things held up well why you were away.  Those 21500's are looking great.
Thanks! Yeah, I could've actually been more conservative with the light and heat throttling. Live and learn, then get more peppers... either way, I got the (comically mediocre) 2-gallon bags I ordered in today, so I'll probably pot up the five big'uns tomorrow and the rest later this month.

Chilidude said:
Most likely will try that coffee filter germination next season and them put them directly to coco coir once thet germinate.

Yeah, I'm definitely happy with how it's worked out so far. :)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/協和ハイポニカ-KJA002-協和-ハイポニカ液体肥料-A・Bセット/dp/B0038JFTJC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&qid=1546687748&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=hydroponic+fertilizer&dpPl=1&dpID=51xKPkbW%2BgL&ref=plSrch

Since you are living in Tokyo, is this fertilizer familiar to you?

Npk values are good for chili growing, so perhaps you could to a test grow using this stuff in 100% coco coir and it is hydroponic fertilizer, so should work fine in coco coir growing.

This stuff have Combined NPK:

4-3,8-9,4

Chilidude said:
Since you are living in Tokyo, is this fertilizer familiar to you?

Npk values are good for chili growing, so perhaps you could to a test grow using this stuff in 100% coco coir and it is hydroponic fertilizer, so should work fine in coco coir growing.

This stuff have Combined NPK:

4-3,8-9,4

I've seen it, but hadn't really looked into it. Perhaps when I run out of my current stuff I'll look into this; thanks for the lead. :)

Plants are looking great! The UFO is looking funky, I love it. Looks like you cured you nutrients issue since the last update?

Robot Mode said:
Looks like you cured you nutrients issue since the last update?
Well, they do look good, but I hadn't changed anything. I basically flushed them with pure water before we left, so they were just saturated with no new nutrients (wanted to slow them down a bit so they didn't drink themselves dry while we were away from home).

Yesterday was the first time I have them the new fertilizer. We'll see if they keep doing well now.

Got the big guys potted down. White seemed like kind of a funny color for a bag meant to hold dirt, but it came out OK.

That said...

new-two-two.jpg

It might not be entirely clear from the picture, but the black "two gallon" bag is significantly larger than the white "two gallon" bags, despite a very minimal height difference.

Fortunately, the black one I ordered only one of as a test, so I'm glad that was available. The white ones I'm ordering more of now. I should be able to get 12 plants onto one level now if I need to and 10 quite comfortably. :)

internationalfish said:
Got the big guys potted down. White seemed like kind of a funny color for a bag meant to hold dirt, but it came out OK.

That said...

new-two-two.jpg

It might not be entirely clear from the picture, but the black "two gallon" bag is significantly larger than the white "two gallon" bags, despite a very minimal height difference.

Fortunately, the black one I ordered only one of as a test, so I'm glad that was available. The white ones I'm ordering more of now. I should be able to get 12 plants onto one level now if I need to and 10 quite comfortably. :)

I have never seen white grow bags before! I don't know why, but it's kinda cool looking. Stylish!

I really envy your two section tent and 10 plants on that top level will be amazing! You ever worry about over watering and having excess water leak onto your 1st level light?

Robot Mode said:
I have never seen white grow bags before! I don't know why, but it's kinda cool looking. Stylish!
I'm thinking it might have been a "we have all this extra fabric from some other project... so... grow bags?" decision, because the handles are of varying material and color. It's pretty funny, but they work for me, so I'm calling it quirky and rolling with it.

Robot Mode said:
I really envy your two section tent and 10 plants on that top level will be amazing! You ever worry about over watering and having excess water leak onto your 1st level light?
Sure do. I have two trays resting on the bottom light's rigging to prevent that (with enough space to let its fans work). :)

Robot Mode said:

I was wondering how you would prevent that, but that sounds like a perfect solution!

It ended up being a fortunate screwup that I initially ordered trays that were too small... when I ordered larger ones, the smaller ones were leftovers, and ended up working well for this purpose. So... yeah, tooooootally intentional. I am so smrt! S-m-r-t!  :shh:

Nothing like coming back from vacation to find some new dirt-bags hanging around your place! 

It's amazing that your plants are already starting to spill over those 2g bags.  Seems like they really put on size recently.  They should really take off now with all that new room to grow.  When is plant out date for the ones you're putting outside?  Beginning of May or so?

internationalfish said:
I'm thinking it might have been a "we have all this extra fabric from some other project... so... grow bags?" decision, because the handles are of varying material and color. It's pretty funny, but they work for me, so I'm calling it quirky and rolling with it.

Sure do. I have two trays resting on the bottom light's rigging to prevent that (with enough space to let its fans work). :)

White bags are actually pretty common...most times they are of the cheaper ones you will find...they are very inexpensive on from alot of Chinese vendors on Ebay..Aliexpress ect...all of mine are this kind actually that I bought for the upcoming season.

I have seen other threads that the white ones might reflect the sun alittle more and thus stay cooler...no clue if this is true or not and it would make sense if the material was abit better....I need to buy some black.tan if I am ever gonna know the truth I suppose......./shrug

CaneDog said:
Nothing like coming back from vacation to find some new dirt-bags hanging around your place!
As though I weren't enough all by myself!

CaneDog said:
It's amazing that your plants are already starting to spill over those 2g bags.  Seems like they really put on size recently.  They should really take off now with all that new room to grow.  When is plant out date for the ones you're putting outside?  Beginning of May or so?
Not one of those bags is more than 1/3 occupied by a root ball, and most are more like 1/4, so they definitely have room to grow. Migrating them was pretty cool, since I got to see how big they actually are under the dirt... plus I now have at least 4 gallons of premixed growing medium from the larger three-gallon bags, so the next round of bagging will be quick and easy.

Early to mid April should be safe for excommunicating the heretics, so I imagine that's when the tent will thin out a bit. I'm not really in much of a hurry for that, though, so we'll see; depends on how much foliage congestion I end up with in the tent, I suspect.

CDNmatt said:
White bags are actually pretty common...most times they are of the cheaper ones you will find...they are very inexpensive on from alot of Chinese vendors on Ebay..Aliexpress ect...all of mine are this kind actually that I bought for the upcoming season.

I have seen other threads that the white ones might reflect the sun alittle more and thus stay cooler...no clue if this is true or not and it would make sense if the material was abit better....I need to buy some black.tan if I am ever gonna know the truth I suppose......./shrug

Interesting, thanks. With my grow confined to the tent, I doubt I'd see much of a heat difference anyway. The outdoor plants are likely to go into heavy pots; even though theft here is extremely rare, tempting people with light, easy-to-carry bags of hard-to-find pepper plants right by the side of the road seems like a... questionable idea.

internationalfish said:

Interesting, thanks. With my grow confined to the tent, I doubt I'd see much of a heat difference anyway. The outdoor plants are likely to go into heavy pots; even though theft here is extremely rare, tempting people with light, easy-to-carry bags of hard-to-find pepper plants right by the side of the road seems like a... questionable idea.
Two words.

Vicious Guard Dog   :think:    :D

Glad you came home to plants looking good, 'Fish.
Your grow tent is going to look great with everything
potted up and in place!

Good luck going forward...

Oh yeah, +1 Matt

PaulG said:
Two words.

Vicious Guard Dog   :think:    :D

Glad you came home to plants looking good, 'Fish.
Your grow tent is going to look great with everything
potted up and in place!

Good luck going forward...

Oh yeah, +1 Matt

Haha, thanks. I'll take the guard dog angle under advisement. ;)

No pictures this morning, but one of my paprika has set at least three pods... didn't even check the other one.  :shocked:

Back