• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Free Cast Iron Give-away contest

This is a tribute cast iron give-away contest in honor of my mom who recently passed away.  I figured people in the Cooking With Fire forums would appreciate the opportunity so that's why I'm posting here. 

My Mom was a great cast iron cooker.  Waffles, roasts, you name it, she did it in cast iron.  I remember her cooking bacon in a CI skillet and pouring the bacon grease into a soup can next to the stove.  Time to cook eggs?  Dip into the grease can, let the bacon grease get all happy in the small CI skillet and eggs all around. 

Well, that was a looong time ago for that and we've all gotten more healthy in the cooking but Mom still had the cast iron rocking. 

This is an open-to-all but hoping Cast Iron Newbies will be jumping in!  She would like the cast iron to go to someone who has no cast iron or not very many cast iron pieces.

What's on the block is-
an 8" and a 6" skillet-

Inside and out of the 8" skillet-
IMG_3812.JPG

IMG_3814.JPG

Inside and out of the 6" skillet-
IMG_3813.JPG

IMG_3815.JPG

IMG_3816.JPG

The Contest-
Guess a number between 100 and 999. 

I'll cover shipping via USPS in the US.  If international members want to participate, please be willing to post about $45 for international shipping if you win.

I've posted the winning number to another member for accountability. 

Let's Have Some FUN!

What's your lucky number?????

Starting Sunday evening and will go until Tuesday evening, 9:11 pm Pacific Time.  Person closest to the number wins. 

Attachments

• IMG_3811.JPG
    IMG_3811.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 92
Keybrd~  come again with a number over 100 and less than 999- 

add numbers together, multiply, whatever to get your number within the range

PS- the winning number is not 100 or 999...  Just trying to help~ :)

oops sorry Salsalady. apparently I'm having trouble reading today...

just put me in at 127 then if that's still available.

thanks, amigos.   keep the guesses coming!

KBK- got you at that number.

We were at the Family Barter Faire in Tonasket about a month ago and I had a chance to chat with one of the  vendors.  I was looking at a stack of skillets he had.  He made a comment about "the only way to get good cast iron was to inherit it." 

While I don't totally agree with that statement, there is a lot of truth to that statement!  :lol: 

i find myself somewhat moved by your generosity (this + kool aid guy) ...

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33472-what-can-i-make-with-this/?p=679387

well, i never used it (still) ...

so, i'd like to send it out to you as you'd asked ...

it just seems right to send you something since you've been sending people stuff, and JHP sent me some extra stuff recently etc ...

there's lots of generous folks here, so i'm happy to send you that desk weight (in the next few weeks) if you'd still like to have it ...

We had an old crisco can next to the stove growing up for the same reason. Being the youngest of 7 the CI hand me downs never made it as far as me. Condolences to you and yours. I pick 808.

salsalady said:
We were at the Family Barter Faire in Tonasket about a month ago and I had a chance to chat with one of the  vendors.  I was looking at a stack of skillets he had.  He made a comment about "the only way to get good cast iron was to inherit it." 

While I don't totally agree with that statement, there is a lot of truth to that statement!  :lol:

I inherited some of my good CI. A lot of it I bought though. You would be surprised how much 100+ year old cast iron you can find at thrift stores, and yard sales. Stuff comes ugly as hell most of the time. But Is strip it to the iron, then season it to a shine.

So I would say inherited is great, but you can also buy good iron that should have been inherited by some one else.

salsalady said:

Or buy it at estate sales. That is where most of mine has come from. I'll skip this, since I have more CI than I can use. The older stuff is better. Griswold for the gold!

My condolences on the loss of your mother.

My deepest condolences- thank you for the heartfelt and generous offer! Makes me remember my grandmother..she would know how 'Southern' you were on if/how much cast iron you owned! Those are certainly well seasoned pans! The old ones (ie: true heirlooms when taken care of) blow 'pre-seasoned' modern stuff out the water..eventually reaching a state where you can cook eggs and such in them with no oil or fat- slick as wet glass! The heat retention, ability to crisp things, etc.. make cast iron rule!- nothing like skillet cornbread with lots o' bacon grease! It's all I grew up around! I personally only own a 'single-serving' pan I cook my daily egg in that I got from Cracker Barrel. (with lard from pastured pork or tallow/butter from grass fed cows...which actually is very healthy..btw. A genuine 'fat' revolution going on these days where people are awakening up to/getting informed that the 'old timers' had it right as far as real fat goes- talking the generations pre-poison hydrogenated Crisco/Margarine, etc.. days. My grandparents and great grandparents all lived to their late 90's or early 100's. Perhaps good genetics though..hope so!)

With my single pan I 'll take a guess on this...

Thanks!

Back