• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fun and Cheap Hot Sauce Garden

Happy 2011 everyone! Great gardening to all. Last year I kept a very detailed garden log with tons of photos and regular updates. I may do the same again this year but I haven’t even finalized my seed selection. I’m in the process of moving and I’ll probably get the rest of my seeds going in a couple weeks.

The new place has a lot more room and sunlight and I can get down and dirty in the soil. I couldn’t wait to start seeds so I planted 24 seeds on 1/16/11. I needed something quick and compact so I picked up a Jiffy 12 pellet unit. I know this isn’t the best, but it sure is easy and I’ve had some pretty good plants that sprouted in them before.

My plan is to grow them up without all the special care that I give my other plants. If all goes well, it will demonstrate how easy and cheap it is to grow enough hot peppers to make a bunch of sauce. Here’s the plan so far:

Jiffy 12 mini greenhouse
Seeds from non-isolated plants - two per pellet
Solo cups for the seedlings
Free 5 gallon buckets for the plants
Recycled potting soil
Leftover and homemade fertilizers
No special lights, just natural sunlight
No special heat, just the top of the fridge

I might change it up a bit later. Those solo cups can spill and I might need to add a bit more light. I may need to purchase some soil amendments, but I don’t see these 12 plants costing much more than $25 by harvest time. The rest of the garden is still being planned, but my goal is to reuse as much as possible from last year and to add mostly local and organic material.

So that’s the plan for these 12 plants. It’s a long time before this gets interesting but I’ll probably get working on a seedling mix soon. I’m aware of all the warnings about reusing soil and everything else I’m planning on doing. That’s a best practice when you make a living with your plants and can’t risk crop failure. I’m going do this stuff anyway and see how it turns out. I think with enough time and hard work I’ll end up with a fine crop. Stay tuned.

IMG_9222.jpg

IMG_9212.jpg

Great idea. I'll be watching for updates.

Keep us posted on the "down and dirty in the soil" part too!

Good luck. I've only used sunlight and re-used earth myself. My plants are more leggy and take longer to germinate/grow but this is my 1st season at it

Thanks for stopping by friends!

I've been checking out the soil and it's not pretty. I've got a dandelion infestation, rocks, glass, concrete and just general garbage. Still, I'll screen a bit at a time and get something going. The rest will go in containers.

Moving my little greenhouse from the fridge top to the windowsill was only keeping them between 65-75 degrees so I put them in the water heater closet where it stays 78. Sunday morning I had hooks. Since there's no place that's both sunny and warm and I still have plenty of Bhuts to sprout so I had to cheat a bit and pull out some artificial lighting. It's a little 24W aquarium light and perfect for the sprouts. They need stay warm enough for the Bhuts to pop and I'll give them this light until their little solar panels are out.

IMG_9238.jpg

I'm still moving in and don't have much room for a heating pad and lighting set up. I ended up buying another Jiffy 12 and planted Trinidad Scorpions, Fataliis and 7 pots. I did 4 cells each, two seeds per cell.

Another bit of good news is the quality of some of my used soil. I had a 1/2 whiskey barrel sitting fallow out front. I had dumped a bucket of bokashi in there a while back. When I started shoveling and screening the soil to move it to my new place I saw so many worms. The soil is really nice now, maybe even the best I've ever seen. The worms went crazy on the bokashi and all that was left was some thick stems and chicken bones that I screened out and tossed away. I can wait to get the same thing going with the rest of my old soil so I have some more of this great stuff to plant in.

Greetings Zander...
I used 5 gal buckets this past season for the first time, and was quite pleased with the result....except I spent a lot of time every morning before work hand watering.
I was just wondering if you have ever tried the global bucket system?
I've read a bunch about the approach since the end of last season, and am seriously considering giving it a go this year, but don't want to waste any of those nice seeds you sent me.
CM

Greetings Zander...
I used 5 gal buckets this past season for the first time, and was quite pleased with the result....except I spent a lot of time every morning before work hand watering.
I was just wondering if you have ever tried the global bucket system?
I've read a bunch about the approach since the end of last season, and am seriously considering giving it a go this year, but don't want to waste any of those nice seeds you sent me.
CM

That's funny, I don't know if I saw that before but I did my own bucket in bucket system a while ago and it worked pretty well. I used a 3.5 in a 5 w/ a nylon wick. It worked great for my Thais. I could go weeks w/o watering. I still use it for a dwarf banana and a clivia. I guess it's our climate here, or maybe the shade in my old location, but I've not had much problem with containers drying out. I'm planning on having a irrigation setup in place by July or so. Once you get automatic watering set up it's amazing how much time it saves. I'll play with the mix too to make sure it holds enough water. The buckets may also be set in the ground for some added protection.

Sounds like a good plan to me. You don't need to spend hundreds to have a nice garden.
Wow, that green grass is sure a sight for sore eyes!

P.S. I've got some of the seeds you sent me started. Thanks again!

Thanks for the feed back Zander.
I've got a good source for food grade 3.5 buckets, and have accumulated around 60 so far. Hoping to get enough for around 50 plants. from what I've read, the mix is very important if the water is going to wick properly.

Everything I've read about the system, suggested using some of the soil mix, dampened and packed into the "wicking" container that is then submerged into the water reservoir.
You mentioned using a nylon wick of some type? I'm curious about the particular nylon material, size and length you used.
I am reasonably confident in the irrigation approach, just trying to double check things before I totally commit my 2011 season to the system.

Thanks again for your help and insight...much appreciated.
CM

Sure thing CM, I'm happy to tell you more about what I did. It worked well for my Thais, some basil and did pretty well for some Orange Manzanos, but I had some issues with a Bhut Jolokia. I'm sure w/ a better feeding plan it could have worked well for that too. I just used pieces of the cheapest pantyhose I could find. I assume it was nylon, but I don't think I checked the label. I had a bunch of holes in the bottom of the 3.5 gallon bucket and strung the strips through a few of the holes and left a little running up in the bucket as I filled it with potting mix. The water wicks up, hits the mix and feeds the established plant. After a while the roots grew down and hit the water directly. It worked very well for just about every plant I tried, but I'm sure a super fast growing plant or very hot weather might be a little much. I also skipped the pvc fill tube and just drilled a 1/2 hole in the side of the 5 gallon bucket, right below where the 3.5 gallon bucket would sit. This way it drains off in the rain and you can fill easily. I experimented with keeping the hose intact and filling it with coco chip mulch. I think that improved the water transfer a bit, but it does require about 5x as much nylon.

As far as mix goes, I used a few different kinds, but nothing out of the ordinary. A nice organic mix is great, but a good old peat, compost, perlite, sand, vermiculite type should work well too. Someday I might try it with pure coco coir.

I did it this way because I didn't like the idea of a soil wick and this method is much quicker to build. All you need is a drill, 1/2 and 1/4 inch bits and some nylon. It worked well for my plants in my climate, but maybe the earthbox type is superior. I never compared the two.

I've got some nice progress on the 2 week old plants. They've been growing well under the light and I've moved them out to the "greenhouse". I needed to make room for the next twelve as I've got a couple Trinidad Scorpions poking out. I had a nice harvest from a neglected Thai Super Hot F1 and my Rocotos and a Jalabenero are flowering nicely.

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

I'm beginning to think my second set of 12 Jiffys wasn't as good as the first. None of my 7pots came up and only half of my Fatallis. I got 4 cells of Trinidad Scorpions but they don't look very happy. Those went into some cheap potting mix along with 5 Yellow Scorpions and 6 Bhut Jolokias. No more artificial light for them, they're outside now with protection at night to keep them above 40F. The Yellow Scorpions look like they may be my best plants again this year. I sent out a good amount of seed so I hope they do well for everyone else too.

IMG_9248.jpg

Back inside I started a few trays. A lot of Douglahs and other hots. I did a few bird peppers and some C. pubes too. Once I transplant out of these I'll start the rest of my chilies, tomatoes, eggplants and herbs.

IMG_9244.jpg

I've got sprouts coming up on three of my trays and things are looking good. I've planted some more and I'm getting into the dirt a bit. I'm testing different proportions of native soil to recycled potting mix and seeing what else I need to add. I'll be setting up another temporary greenhouse or a high hoop house for the seedlings to go at transplant time. I haven't been keeping perfect records of everything so I decided to post some of my notes here and keep editing this post so I can go back and see what was planted.

Tray 1 (~2/4/11):
Douglah (5 sources)
Pimenta de Neyde
Black Congo
Chocolate Hab
Black Naga
Black Stinger

Tray 2 (~2/5/11):
Brain Strain
Yellow Scorpion
Limon
Muripi Doce
Devil’s Tongue
Douglah
Neon Hab
Chocolate Bhut
Yellow/Orange Bird and/or CGN 22184 (either mixed these or planted one or the other :doh: )
C. parvifolium
Tabasco
Aji Lemondrop

Tray 3(~2/6/11):
Scotch Bonnet
Yellow Scorpion
Venezuelan Sweet Hab
Tobago Seasoning
Trinidad Perfume
Datil (2 types)
7 Pot Primo
Bhut Jolokia Spiky
Yellow 7
Yellow Moruga
Naga Morich
Naga Jolokia (C. chinese)
Trinidad Scorpion

Tray 4(~2/7/11):
Turbo Pube
Rocopia
Red Rocoto
PI 585260

Tray 5(~2/14/11):
CGN 19199
CGN 20814
CGN 22790
CGN 22817
CGN 22861
CGN 23572
CGN 24362
CGN 24363
White and Red Birdseye
Siling Labuyo (3 types)
Piquin Cuernavaca
Piquin Chiapas
Thai
Thai Green Eggplant

Tray 6(~2/15/11):
Arugula
Mizuna
Perilla, Tia To
Chinese Celery
Rapini
Parris Island Cos
Napa
Italian Parsley

Tray 7 (3/6/11)
Tomatoes:
Black Krim
Opalka
Nyagous
Clint Eastwood Rowdy Red
Snow White
Rome
Cherokee Purple
Ramapo
Moreton

Peppers:
Mariachi
Yellow Hot Wax
Santa Fe Grande
Corno di Toro Giallo
Corno di Toro Rosso
Quatrato Rosso di Asti
Poblano
Big Jim
Mesilla
Biker Billy

Cup Method (3/6/11)
Airplane Thai Long Green Eggplant
Boonie
Doni Sale
7pot SR
Aji Lemondrop
Cumari
Padaung

Thanks for stopping by friends!

I've been checking out the soil and it's not pretty. I've got a dandelion infestation, rocks, glass, concrete and just general garbage. Still, I'll screen a bit at a time and get something going. The rest will go in containers.

Moving my little greenhouse from the fridge top to the windowsill was only keeping them between 65-75 degrees so I put them in the water heater closet where it stays 78. Sunday morning I had hooks. Since there's no place that's both sunny and warm and I still have plenty of Bhuts to sprout so I had to cheat a bit and pull out some artificial lighting. It's a little 24W aquarium light and perfect for the sprouts. They need stay warm enough for the Bhuts to pop and I'll give them this light until their little solar panels are out.

IMG_9238.jpg

I'm still moving in and don't have much room for a heating pad and lighting set up. I ended up buying another Jiffy 12 and planted Trinidad Scorpions, Fataliis and 7 pots. I did 4 cells each, two seeds per cell.

Another bit of good news is the quality of some of my used soil. I had a 1/2 whiskey barrel sitting fallow out front. I had dumped a bucket of bokashi in there a while back. When I started shoveling and screening the soil to move it to my new place I saw so many worms. The soil is really nice now, maybe even the best I've ever seen. The worms went crazy on the bokashi and all that was left was some thick stems and chicken bones that I screened out and tossed away. I can wait to get the same thing going with the rest of my old soil so I have some more of this great stuff to plant in.

Zander, has it only been 8 days science you planted these? If so not bad, I'm pulling out all the stops and have some of them showing 2 leaves in 6 days. Even when you go cheap there is still that element of magic carrying over.

Zander, has it only been 8 days science you planted these? If so not bad, I'm pulling out all the stops and have some of them showing 2 leaves in 6 days. Even when you go cheap there is still that element of magic carrying over.

The magic is in those Yellow Scorpions, they're awesome! I hope the next generation turns out to be as good as the parent was last year. So far the seeds were fast and reliable to sprout and they're growing nice and strong.

Hey there NorTexChiliJs, so far the Billy Boy Douglah is looking the best. One of my best starts this year. I tried Douglahs last year and got nothing so I'm very excited.

Your pics look great!

Have you ever heard of the plastic container trick? That's the germination format that I'm using this year. I setup my six (72 cell trays) with grow plugs, but I am germinating them in the plastic containers first and transfer over to the trays afterwards. It works fantastic. I don't have to wonder what to hell is going on with them.

It looks simple, fast and easy. God only knows how I will do it next year.

Back