• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Gassy's 2012/2013 Glog thingy

Well, Spring has arrived here in the Land of Oz and it's all starting to happen. I thought I would quit being a lazy bones and start a glog this season. Even though I'm so far behind where I had planned to be at this point, things are running along smoothly enough. I released some Neoseiulus californicus predator mites about a month ago to take care of my broad mite problem and so far, they are being amazing. A month later and I have yet to see any new signs of broad mite activity. It is still early days though and time will tell just how effective the little buggers are. And of course, I still have to get on top of the fruit fly problem (not looking forward to that one). With Spring here and new pods forming, the little bastages can't be too far around the corner. :(

A few piccies to get the show on the road. Not gonna backtrack or anything now... just some random shots of some of what's going on.

Rooster Spur - putting out first pods:

IMG_8018.JPG

Aji Amarillo x Yellow Trinidad Scorpion F2's:

IMG_8039.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8051.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8035.JPG

No chemicals in use here anymore - ladybug and lacewing eggs: :cool:

IMG_8005.JPG

Overwinters...

NOT Dorset Naga - coming into third year:

IMG_8002.JPG

Trinidad Scorpion ButchT - coming into third year:

IMG_8043.JPG

CGN 21500 - coming into second year:

IMG_8032.JPG

CGN 21566 - coming into second year:

IMG_8046.JPG

Pimenta da Neyde - coming into second year:

IMG_8029.JPG

Thanks for looking! :dance:

Looking good mate. You have quite a few that I have on deck for '13. You ever grow the aji chuncho before? Those plants are beasts!! I love popping them whilst watering. Good luck as always combating those damn pests.

Bugger me! I have to be careful with these bags I'm using.....

IMG_9317.JPG

Fried a couple pods somehow. Maybe because the bags are a little bit reflective or something? It's only pods exposed to direct sunlight doing it. El cheapo not always worko. ;)

The pumpkin patch

IMG_9274.JPG

There's like 5 vines or something there. All volunteers. How can you say no to something that wants to grow for you??

Funghies

IMG_9278.JPG

IMG_9275.JPG

And some fresh matoes

IMG_9373.JPG

Don't know what that crud colouring on the top of one 'em is and whether it's supposed to be like that? Knowing my luck, it's probably not good. The plant is in pretty bad shape... hence why I haven't posted any pics.

Looking good mate. You have quite a few that I have on deck for '13. You ever grow the aji chuncho before? Those plants are beasts!! I love popping them whilst watering. Good luck as always combating those damn pests.

Thanks Pr0ds. First time growing the Aji Chuncho. I didn't realize the pods were so small! Not necessarily a bad thing though.... it seems the fruit fly aren't big fans of tiny pods. I guess there's not enough room inside 'em for the demon maggots to do their thing. What's the taste and heat like on 'em?

Yous didn't even leave me the boot comment..... :dance:

I detect a hint of jealousy now that someone else has taken an interest in your pom in boots? :P

But I say this with uttermost sincerity.... you have nothing to worry about! :rofl: (nothing against ya Meez!)

I heard from some growers that the pest bugs dont like plants that have been grown using worm castings... I dunno if its true or not gassy but its worth a shot at trying...

I heard from some growers that the pest bugs dont like plants that have been grown using worm castings... I dunno if its true or not gassy but its worth a shot at trying...

Actually, I use a commercial compost/plant food that apparently contains worm castings... but I assume it wouldn't be that much. I also feed my plants worm juice, but as I don't have a worm farm going (yet) and the stuff is bloody expensive, I only use low doses. I'm guessing I don't use enough of either to see any real results.

Might be worth getting my hands on some castings and experimenting with a select plant or two, and on top of that, give 'em good feeds of worm juice. Never know, it might just be that silver bullet!

Worm ooze as repellent...never heard of it......chem free though so definitely worth a check.hmmmm

Meez..."whew"

They treat all bovine deficant (I made up that word, SHIT, you get the point?!) based stuff with a fungicide in the US...or wouldn't that be a "NoFungicide"? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That real pumpkin has exploded...
And I have 2 objectives while underway tonight ..the growlist, and this great big Primo that I foolishly brought that has gotten all red and I bet just festeringly mad with :fireball: .

They treat all bovine deficant (I made up that word, SHIT, you get the point?!) based stuff with a fungicide in the US...or wouldn't that be a "NoFungicide"? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wouldn't want them gold tops popping up now, would we? ;)

And I have 2 objectives while underway tonight ..the growlist, and this great big Primo that I foolishly brought that has gotten all red and I bet just festeringly mad with :fireball: .

Show that Primo who's boss! I'm gonna be smashing a big fat Spanish Naga tonight. The thing scares the shite outta me. Had a small one the other night and safe to say it put me on my ass! If you don't here from me after tonight, it means the thing killed me.....

Hey Gassy, we see how your Tovarii is doing but wheres Lanceolatum at? or did i miss it? :crazy:

Lanceolatum is non-existant. ;) I haven't managed to get one going yet. I think I might be sowing those tiny, tiny little seeds too deep.

Those damaged pods look more like water damage gas. Were they sitting against the side of the bags????

I'm doing my best to not let the pods touch the side of the bags (apparently fruit fly will still do their evil deed if the fruit touches the side). It only happened within the time frame of 24 hours. Bagged 'em in the arvo, came back the next arvo and there it was. It only happened to two pods that were directly in the sun... and only on the sunny side.

I have to admit though, I've never seen anything like it. The sun damage I've witnessed in the past has always left an indent. Perhaps moisture building the bag?

When whack the tops off of my plants I get exactly the same, but also a similar effect where pods touch when lots of rain evident. With sun spots- it usually doesnt affect the insides to much -basically dried membrane from a burn-if I'm being a picky dick Icut it from the pods used for drying.sauce, but after checking several to ensure there is no weird shit going on inside(other than the normal WEIRD SHIT that goes on inside;) )-I don't pay attention to it.

As to the Primo...sheeeeeeeit, my bitch!....easy to say after the searing tears of the "WHO's the BITCH NOW?!!!!PRIMO" subsided. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thems' Vineless White Ringed Stalked Gold Spotted Top Pumpkins ;) ....brain food

GGPrimo-1.jpg

The Bitch Maker...

Gassy...I am a big fan of frutescens. I really like the taste of the chuncho,and the heat is your typical quick flash that fades fast. I am picky when it comes to chinense. Most have a "musky" taste to me. It is hard to get any gardening work done when you munch a super and spend the next half hour saying prayers.

Just had to share more pics of the CGN 21566. Definitely one of my most favourite plants.

gallery_2730_27_252475.jpg

gallery_2730_27_266424.jpg

gallery_2730_27_194574.jpg

And CGN 21500. Another beautiful plant but doesn't seem to like the sun much. As a result, it is forever yellowing and losing it's leaves. Kills the beauty of it, I reckon (and not to mention the bags I must hang from it now. Unfortunately fruit fly just love it).

gallery_2730_27_163968.jpg

gallery_2730_27_356122.jpg

Yeah a pumpkin like those blue meanies pumpkins you mean ;) :D

Are they like Queensland Blue or Jarrahdale or something? :halo:

Erm yes, Gassy`s garden from his eyes. LoL

tumblr_m8knr5w7sD1qi3sk1o1_400.gif

Mezo.

I don't get it. Looks normal to me. :lol:

GGPrimo-1.jpg

The Bitch Maker...

Sheeeet. Look at that thing!

Gassy...I am a big fan of frutescens. I really like the taste of the chuncho,and the heat is your typical quick flash that fades fast. I am picky when it comes to chinense. Most have a "musky" taste to me. It is hard to get any gardening work done when you munch a super and spend the next half hour saying prayers.

Not a huge fan of the chinense taste myself. I can only describe the taste I get from most as "perfumey". But I gotta say, some are really growing on me! What really does it for me is annuums but the few frutescens I've grown I've enjoyed too.

cgn 21566...THSC? That is a sexy lady indeed.

We have to give these a real name, ive got a GCN growing away (forget the number) but its just not sexy when they have a mere number, its like naming your girlfriend Dorris #21566 just not the same as a real name, handy mind you but not sexy.

Mezo.

Very beautiful looking CGN 21566, looks exactly the same as mine :) Curious what you think about the flavor, the heat was just to high for me at this moment to really notice any flavor besides the smokey aftertaste :lol:

Back