• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Gassy's 2012/2013 Glog thingy

Well, Spring has arrived here in the Land of Oz and it's all starting to happen. I thought I would quit being a lazy bones and start a glog this season. Even though I'm so far behind where I had planned to be at this point, things are running along smoothly enough. I released some Neoseiulus californicus predator mites about a month ago to take care of my broad mite problem and so far, they are being amazing. A month later and I have yet to see any new signs of broad mite activity. It is still early days though and time will tell just how effective the little buggers are. And of course, I still have to get on top of the fruit fly problem (not looking forward to that one). With Spring here and new pods forming, the little bastages can't be too far around the corner. :(

A few piccies to get the show on the road. Not gonna backtrack or anything now... just some random shots of some of what's going on.

Rooster Spur - putting out first pods:

IMG_8018.JPG

Aji Amarillo x Yellow Trinidad Scorpion F2's:

IMG_8039.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8051.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8035.JPG

No chemicals in use here anymore - ladybug and lacewing eggs: :cool:

IMG_8005.JPG

Overwinters...

NOT Dorset Naga - coming into third year:

IMG_8002.JPG

Trinidad Scorpion ButchT - coming into third year:

IMG_8043.JPG

CGN 21500 - coming into second year:

IMG_8032.JPG

CGN 21566 - coming into second year:

IMG_8046.JPG

Pimenta da Neyde - coming into second year:

IMG_8029.JPG

Thanks for looking! :dance:

That pumpkin plant looked nice when you uploaded the pic... Hoping we get to see some lil pumpkins here soon... LOL

Hey, Gas! Man, I need to come here more often! The last twelve
pages really showed off a great grow season for you. Between
dogs and fruit flies, you've had your hands full, brother! The pod pics
are awesome!

Thanks for the great pictures, Gassy. I'm glad you showed the Peach "Trinidad Scorpion" hybrid because I was looking forward to growing this, now that they aren't even remotely Scorpion shaped I will not grow it. It looks more orange also? The shape is a big Bhut like isn't it? I gotta cut back my growlist so this is one that's been cut off :lol: Keep it up!

Hey Gas I love the Chicanna Purple. Does it stay that sort of colour long? Will it ripen red?

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I wanted to ask you about mites :( A guy from biological services emailed me and said my plant damage looks like broad mite. He recommended using sulphur spray and then again a week later, and then maybe get some cucumeris, or other little critters if I get two spotted mite. Was it you or Trippa or someone else who was talking up sulphur spray? Does that sound about right to you? I'm not keen to start using chemicals at all, even if its just sulphur.

Some more Waspies....

Moruga Red (not the TS Moruga... just Moruga Red)

Mystery plant grown from JungleRain's Mixed Superhot bag

Bhut x PDN seems to be turning a peachy colour

Pasilla Bajio x Bhut Jolokia F1 ripening to red

Thanks for looking! :dance:

That pumpkin plant looked nice when you uploaded the pic... Hoping we get to see some lil pumpkins here soon... LOL

Sadly the pumpkin plant looks like toast now. :( I'm not giving up on it though! By the end of last season it was nothing but a twig and still bounced back.

Wow, your Peach Scorps look incredible. Where are the seeds from?
Liebe Grüße
Max

Thanks Max! Seeds are from Ajijoe.

Hey, Gas! Man, I need to come here more often! The last twelve
pages really showed off a great grow season for you. Between
dogs and fruit flies, you've had your hands full, brother! The pod pics
are awesome!

Thanks Paul! Believe it or not, despite all the hurdles, this has actually been one of my better seasons! It is starting to fall to bits now but I'm more than happy with the run I've had. Always learning and hopefully I can do that little bit better next season! :D

Thanks for the great pictures, Gassy. I'm glad you showed the Peach "Trinidad Scorpion" hybrid because I was looking forward to growing this, now that they aren't even remotely Scorpion shaped I will not grow it. It looks more orange also? The shape is a big Bhut like isn't it? I gotta cut back my growlist so this is one that's been cut off :lol: Keep it up!

Yeah, it was a little bit disappointing I didn't end up with Scorpion shaped pods but being a hybrid, I kinda expected that. ;) Nonetheless, I still like the shape I got though (being a fan of Bhut-like shapes). They are actually peach but my camera seems to have a bit of trouble capturing it. OK, maybe the final colour does have a slight light orange tint to it but I would still definitely call the colour peach. And the taste I ended up with is incredible! Sweet and fruity. But yeah, definitely not something to grow if you're not looking to take any chances or anything...... ;)

Hey Gas I love the Chicanna Purple. Does it stay that sort of colour long? Will it ripen red?

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I wanted to ask you about mites :( A guy from biological services emailed me and said my plant damage looks like broad mite. He recommended using sulphur spray and then again a week later, and then maybe get some cucumeris, or other little critters if I get two spotted mite. Was it you or Trippa or someone else who was talking up sulphur spray? Does that sound about right to you? I'm not keen to start using chemicals at all, even if its just sulphur.

Mooo! The final colour appears to be red with black spots. Starts off purple/black, turns green with black spots, then orange and red (while keeping the spots). Really beautiful plant but can't say much about the flavour. Not that it's bad, there's just not that much flavour there!

I haven't tried cucumeris so I don't know how effective they are. I don't really know much about 'em either but maybe they are more suited to your environment?? Californicus do better in humid conditions IIRC which is why they are a good choice for here. I don't know if it was cucumeris or persimilis I went to order originally but the bloke suggested I go for californicus instead for that reason (and something about the other one didn't do well in humid conditions).

The lower the pest population at the time of release of your good guys, the better (which is why the bloke would have suggested spraying first, I'm guessing). Sulfur works, but of course it will also take out beneficials as well. And in hot conditions it will kick the crap outta your plants and burn them to buggery. Still talk to Trips though, I believe he is using it ATM.

I believe you can get sulfur powder also which I'm guessing wouldn't be as brutal on the plants?? Never tried it though so I don't know how effective it is either. I would also assume though that it's effect lasts longer than the liquid form and might not be ideal to use if you plan to release good guys not long after.

Nice camera work, ........the peppers are ripening up nicely. Are the Wasps Hab heat? That's one I haven't grown before.

Nice camera work, ........the peppers are ripening up nicely. Are the Wasps Hab heat? That's one I haven't grown before.

Cheers Greg and thanks for stopping in! Being an unstable hybrid, the heat levels vary from plant to plant (I have 10 or so going). One at least I would say is comparable to Hab heat (although it's so hard to say when your tolerance is right up! ;)). Flavour varies also (from citrusy to fruity to hardly any flavour at all) but all have a base perfumey kinda taste.

Looking great, Gassy! The Pasilla Bajio x Bhut is an interesting cross. Did you do the cross yourself? Pretty cool. If you did it yourself, which plant was the flower and which one was the pollen "donor?" I'll be interested to hear about the heat and flavor on that one.

Good work, Gas! Your pods are ripening up nicely
and you have some nice pics of them.
How you doin' with the nasties? I feel your pain
with respect to sulphur sprays. A guy is kinda
between a rock and a hard place on that one.

Good growin', buddy!

Looking great, Gassy! The Pasilla Bajio x Bhut is an interesting cross. Did you do the cross yourself? Pretty cool. If you did it yourself, which plant was the flower and which one was the pollen "donor?" I'll be interested to hear about the heat and flavor on that one.

Thanks Doc! Yup, it is one of my own crosses. Pasilla Bajio was the female and Bhut Jolokia was the male (pollen donor). The correct way to name a cross is female first, male second (so provided it has been named correctly, that should tell ya). ;)

Good work, Gas! Your pods are ripening up nicely
and you have some nice pics of them.
How you doin' with the nasties? I feel your pain
with respect to sulphur sprays. A guy is kinda
between a rock and a hard place on that one.

Good growin', buddy!

Thanks Paul! Yeah, one of those situations, I guess. Unfortunately nasties are being a bit brutal now that the humidity is here. Faster life cycles, more rapid reproduction, higher populations numbers and all that.... :( Still, it was a good season up until now so can't complain too hard. As long as I keep on the ball and wind this one down soon and start prepping early for next season, I will hopefully have a repeat (or even better) early season next season... weather conditions permitting!

Bhut x PDN seems to be turning a peachy colour

Pasilla Bajio x Bhut Jolokia F1 ripening to red

I wonder how the Pasilla cross will taste. Do you think you'll grow it again?

Nice the P d N cross is a little spikey looking too. The F2 seeds from my own Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut cross just germinated, I have at least 7 purple seedlings in the group to grow out...

I wonder how the Pasilla cross will taste. Do you think you'll grow it again?

Nice the P d N cross is a little spikey looking too. The F2 seeds from my own Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut cross just germinated, I have at least 7 purple seedlings in the group to grow out...

Keen to try it but it's really taking it's time to ripen! I'm going to grow out some F2's for sure but probably only 3 or so. Hopefully I'll get lucky and end up with something really cool!

Cool! How many are you growing?

I may try to grow out all of the purple seedlings, but just keep them in small 1-gallon pots and if they have nice fruit, overwinter and save seed for 2014.

Maybe with the F2 Pasilla you could select the plants that have chinense plant architecture and get rid of the little plants that look like annuums. IDK. The nice thing with the PdN cross, one this one characteristic at least, is that you can select right away: purple or not purple.

C. chinense "Carmine". This thing is crazy! I can't believe how many off-shoots it is putting out....

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

And it's only just starting to fork now...

IMG_1111.JPG

Nuts, eh?

Two "scorpion" type Waspies

Chicanna Purple

Pasilla Bajio x Bhut Jolokia F1

Cut it open and was greeted with a nice strong Bhut Jolokia aroma. Despite visible oil on the walls, heat level is probably only a "hot"... maybe "very hot".... but it's a very stingy heat. Taste is like eating both a Pasilla Bajio and Bhut Jolokia at the same time.

Bhut x PDN. This is the final colour I think.

And just a random shot I like...

IMG_1105.JPG

Thanks for looking! :party:

I may try to grow out all of the purple seedlings, but just keep them in small 1-gallon pots and if they have nice fruit, overwinter and save seed for 2014.

Maybe with the F2 Pasilla you could select the plants that have chinense plant architecture and get rid of the little plants that look like annuums. IDK. The nice thing with the PdN cross, one this one characteristic at least, is that you can select right away: purple or not purple.

Yeah, that's a good idea.... I think I'm going to do a lot of hybrid grow outs in small pots. Gives you that chance to grow out that few more plants.

Very interesting, the PB x Bhut. Cool that it ripened red, and that flavor profile sounds interesting to say the least. Looking good, Gassy!

Back