• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germinating seeds

I have had trouble in the past getting my rocoto seeds I get from Peru to grow. How do you all germinate your seeds?

I tried that and none of the seeds germinated. The only ones I have had to grow were directly stucl in the soil but not many of them would grow. I have those new seeds and would like to have several plants going and be able to keep the strain going since they are straight from Peru

I soak them for 24 hours in a Superthrive/Water mixture. Then I plant them in seed trays under lights with a heating pad underneith.

BrianS said:
I tried that and none of the seeds germinated. The only ones I have had to grow were directly stucl in the soil but not many of them would grow. I have those new seeds and would like to have several plants going and be able to keep the strain going since they are straight from Peru

I've often had to have a few attempts at Rocotos and they do take a while. I'm testing some for germination now but it's been a week and nothing yet, I'll worry in another week.

Try to soak seeds in Hydrogen Peroxide for few minute before you put the seeds in soil that way will soften little bit hard shell & speed up germination.

rainbowberry said:
I've often had to have a few attempts at Rocotos and they do take a while. I'm testing some for germination now but it's been a week and nothing yet, I'll worry in another week.
The ones I have had to grow took over a month to grow

915river said:
Try to soak seeds in Hydrogen Peroxide for few minute before you put the seeds in soil that way will soften little bit hard shell & speed up germination.

Really? Never heard of that before. After the peroxide do you just place them in the soil?

I have heard of some that soak theirs in a weak tea, anyone have success doing that?

BrianS said:
Really? Never heard of that before. After the peroxide do you just place them in the soil?

I have heard of some that soak theirs in a weak tea, anyone have success doing that?

After they was in Peroxide I wash of the seeds in water & place shallow in the soil or you can use tea method, try it you may like it.
:shocked:

Use the Most airarted soil you can find..Or Coir Is Great to,Keep the soil moist and then either use a heat mat,An ordinary propagator will do and pop the heat watt underneath..29 is the magic number heat wise ;)

It makes the tea taste great too.
abduct.gif

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to borrow a heat mat for the seeds I'm gonna start. I just happen to know someone that will loan one to me ;)

I have excellent success germinating seeds, after that is when I tend to get into strife. quality of seeds is an important factor. see my THP blog.

Okay the way I got some of mine going was to soak the seeds in a warm water for 8 hours. Then placed them in soil and covered the tray inside a plastic zip lock bag leaving a little gap and I do mean little to allow some air out then placed them on top of my cable box which stays on 24 7 and keeps the soil at a nice 68 degrees. Usually within 7 days I have germs popping out everywhere but the super hots and rocotos are very hard to get started and can take up to 30 days This last year I had a Naga take 45 days to pop out and that was after I threw him out of the growing tray and was ready to use the soil for something else and booooom there he was and excellent producer. Hope this helps

okie joe said:
This last year I had a Naga take 45 days to pop out and that was after I threw him out of the growing tray and was ready to use the soil for something else and booooom there he was and excellent producer. Hope this helps

Yes. Sometimes it helps to tell a plant that it's about to head for the compost pile.

I wish I could find it but a CPI paper said that 86F (30C) was the optimum temperature for germination. I remember the germination percent curve at different temperatures gradually rose up to 86 then after that there was a slight decrease to 90, but after ninety, the curve really dropped fast....

I know that some people use standard heating pads to aid in germination.

Do folks that use heating pads run them continually until the seeds germinate? I would be worried that a "standard" heating pad could cause a fire if run continually. Am I just paranoid?

:)

okie joe said:
Okay the way I got some of mine going was to soak the seeds in a warm water for 8 hours. Then placed them in soil and covered the tray inside a plastic zip lock bag leaving a little gap and I do mean little to allow some air out then placed them on top of my cable box which stays on 24 7 and keeps the soil at a nice 68 degrees. Usually within 7 days I have germs popping out everywhere but the super hots and rocotos are very hard to get started and can take up to 30 days This last year I had a Naga take 45 days to pop out and that was after I threw him out of the growing tray and was ready to use the soil for something else and booooom there he was and excellent producer. Hope this helps

AlabamaJack said:
I wish I could find it but a CPI paper said that 86F (30C) was the optimum temperature for germination. I remember the germination percent curve at different temperatures gradually rose up to 86 then after that there was a slight decrease to 90, but after ninety, the curve really dropped fast....

Thanks you 2 :D. I will try this sometime this weekend and/or after I get my seeds I have ordered. I want to start a few Bolivian Rainbows very soon :)

Just echoing what others have said.

Im growing Rocotos this year among my collection of various peppers. I've had them all germinate by giving them moist soil and plenty of warmth. Light isnt necessary until they sprout.

Today I've planted out 15 seedlings - so now they have to grow on their own in the garden.

One is in a pot as it is a Christmas present for my mum in law.

Back