• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds germination tips

I also used Neil's method and had outstanding results. I had seedlings popping up w/in 3 days. I was able to keep a constant 86 with no problems.
IMG_1044.jpg

I also soak hard to germinate seeds in salt petre for four hours,rinse then into baggies only cut the coiners of filters to fit. most seeds start plump up after 3 days and sprout in 4 to 6 days if they get black or any other color there bad throw in trash don't waste your time. getting 90-98 % sprouts this way. most seeds like 85 degrees to sprout have added thermostat to keep temp at 85 24 hours around the clock Works great for me. have try ed all ways for many years. this works.

YES this is the method I have heard good things about. Saltpetre is Potassium Nitrate. Someone else reported nearly 100% germination using this. But I have no idea where to get it. Because it can be used to make fireworks and gunpowder its hard to find. I have all autumn and winter to find the stuff before I actually need it though.

should i just stuff the seeds on a cow's dung(fresh) and see if it grows? or i got processed chicken poop mix them to a paste and then stick them in there to see if it germinates. hmmm some pooops ideas.. hahaha

it's not really the poop that activates the germination process in seeds, it's mostly the digestive juices in which the seed gets exposed to while being in the digestive tract.

from saliva, to stomach acid and whatever.

it's not really the poop that activates the germination process in seeds, it's mostly the digestive juices in which the seed gets exposed to while being in the digestive tract.

from saliva, to stomach acid and whatever.
so if i keep the seeds in a weak or strong acid for a while then put it for germination? would it work ? these peat soil is acidic right?

so if i keep the seeds in a weak or strong acid for a while then put it for germination? would it work ? these peat soil is acidic right?
\

can't really say. it might be due to the acidity or any number of things, like digestive enzymes or exposure to certain types of bacteria..... or the combination of whatever else that happens while it's in there.

\

can't really say. it might be due to the acidity or any number of things, like digestive enzymes or exposure to certain types of bacteria..... or the combination of whatever else that happens while it's in there.
has anyone did this before? get a pet bird to eat your hot peppers and collect its poop and plant them ?
here birdie ....
feeding-birds-020.gif

hehehe :lol:

How about I just kill a bird and plant some seeds in its guts? Might make for an interesting conversation piece at the wife's next candlelit dinner party.

It's one of the things Bosland/Dewitt have in one of their books. Basically as mentioned above the acids from the stomach help remove some of the hard cover of some seeds. They said some have had success with this.

i might over heat them if i do that as my ambient temp is already the 28-35 c. how many watts is the oven bulb?
but thanks anyway for your tips :)

I believe its a 25 watter..have never had to change it though so I cant say for sure. But the inside of the oven with the light on stays right around 85 degrees. This method has worked wonders for us over the years. Very constant temp.

Here you go Franz, sorry for the delay. Neil's method

The only other thing in there is the aquarium heater. The black wire you see is the probe for the thermometer. If you want more pics, PM me and I'll take more and post them on your thread. Hope it helps, Mike

tried it out today.

here's what i came up with, in short notice....

80e21bdc.jpg

gonna try out two annuum varieties first then i'm gonna go for a larger water pan of some sort so i can float more containers.

we'll see in a few days.

heater's set set to 28C

Back