• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Ghost Pepper Jelly

I made my first batches of jelly recently. It took a few tries to find a good balance of heat, flavor and sweet.

Who else is making jellies?

IMG_20131006_215555_696.jpg

IMG_20131009_093635_989.jpg

IMG_20131009_094101_568.jpg

Really nice looking Jelly. I`ve made a few this year from Black Naga, 7-pot Douglah, Fatalii, mixed red superhots and I`m looking to make one today from non-hot C.chinense varieties (Trinidad Perfume and Aji Dulce #2 Yellow). 

That's some nice looking jelly. I've made 1 batch so far this year for my wife. Made it with aji amarillo's from pepperlover.com. Need to keep the heat down or the wife won't touch it. Absolutely delicious with cream cheese on crackers.
1 quick question though. How do you get the jelly "clear" like that? Do you need to strain it at some point? 

Nibbler...a spoon. I think it could be good on a nice stuffed pork chop. But for other stuff, not sure.

MeatHead, I followed the Ball pepper jelly recipe. It's 2 cups apple cider vinegar, 5% strength, 6 cups sugar and 2 pouches of liquid pectin. Bring the pepper, sugar and vinegar to a boil for 10 minutes, add the pectin, boil one more minute, add to jars and then into a water bath for 10-15 minutes. Pull the jar and let cool.

It's basically a simple syrup, which is usually clear anyway. Once the sugar dissolves and is in solution, the resulting liquid should be clear. If its grainy then the sugar isn't fully dissolved. If yours isn't clear, I'm not sure what went wrong.

The Nibbler said:
Just out of curiosity, what do you eat this on besides cheese and crackers?

Here are some ideas:
  • Use as a final baste on chicken or ribs (any pork)
  • Use as a sweetener in a recipe
  • Baste bacon wrapped poppers
  • Ice cream topping
  • PB&J sandwich
  • Fill a cupcake or donut
  • Use as ingredient to make something, like BBQ or hot sauce
I'm sure there are many more, but you do have to think about it some.

Back