• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Ghrr...Computer issues!

I have been fighting with my computer since 1:30pm today and am about ready to chuck this damn thing in front of a moving truck.

This all began as an innocent install of Turbotax 2009, yes I was feeling motivated to get my taxes finished today. But, after many hours both on the phone and online chatting with their tech support, no one and I mean no one can explain why I can not install this stupid program. I have tried everything from disabling ALL of my securities and virus program, to doing a complete windows update, which took almost 45 minutes in itself (it has been awhile since I've done an update). So...I'm unsure what to do next. I'm thinking about taking this damn thing somewhere and having it all reprogrammed. BTW, I have 4 previous years of Turbotax and NEVER had this much trouble, actually I have never had any trouble. Then the last person i spoke with kind of gave up and suggested i use the online version. Well, I already paid for this desktop version plus the online version is $33.90 cheaper. While I was trying to see if they will refund the diff I ended up loosing the internet connection and I'm to blame with that cause i was attempting to troubleshoot in the background.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Also, my Norton 360 security program is about due to be renewed and was wondering if there is anything else out there that is better.

Thanks for reading my rant.

You can basically do the same thing online and H and R Block.

Hi PF,

sorry to hear you're having problems, are you receiving a specific error message?

as for the norton thing.. sorry cant help..i dont use any virus software on the mac and this tiny netbook came installed with mcafee

I might call them tomorrow for a full refund and try H&R Block, thanks.

Can you recommend a better security program than Norton?

Uh yeah Norton sucks! Get rig of that nagware and try avast.

mel said:
Hi PF,

sorry to hear you're having problems, are you receiving a specific error message?

as for the norton thing.. sorry cant help..i dont use any virus software on the mac and this tiny netbook came installed with mcafee

I keep getting a message saying basically that it cannot be installed. They even gave me a downloaded version, thinking that the disk might be bad and I get the same message. I'm thinking it has something to do with either Net 3.5 SP1 or MSI 3.1 but I have deleted both of these and reinstalled these drivers and still no change. :(

mel said:
was there an error code at all? (it would be a number.. seems there are a lot of install issues with turbo tax :D)

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/installing/errors/5061.html

There was never a numeric code, go figure. the closest thing i could find on their support page was this error message "TurboTax installer has encountered a problem and needs to close." and I tried the suggested steps to fix it, to no avail. But what gets me is I spent 2 hours on the phone and 4 online in chat and no one can resolve this issue. BTW, I can't wait for my cell phone bill next month :shocked:

PF...you wear that tiara so well...

umhuh...its really what I do best... :lol:

Aww you were on the phone for 2 hours Pauline? :lol:

hmmm.. .net stuff is crap :D this might be a silly question, but did you reboot your machine after the driver change? or the windows upgrade?

I tried a big mac a couple of times but hated it...

PF-

We've built our last 3 computers from scratch....(interpretation.......hubby chooses the individual components, they arrive in various boxes, I assemble them).

80's song playing in the background....."Don't give up on us, baby. just give us one...more try...."

Norton is a HUGE ram-sucker. We've used CA security for the last few years. It costs a little, but so does Norton! If it was already on your 'puter, it was included in the purchase price. Here's a link to CA-
http://shop.ca.com/

We use Malwarebytes-

and a HUGE little program is ATF cleaner-
http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25

it will get rid of so much crap that you don't even know exists on your computer, tracking cookies, down loads, temp internet files......

You will be AMAZED at how much schtuff these little programs will take care of.

After that, do a good defrag, and THEN............check how much ram is available.

There is a setting somewhere......I'll have to go find where it is.....and then I'll post directions. I have a graphics program that wouldn't work even though I have 2g ram, it kept saying "not enough memory". I had to reset the "allowable memory".

I'll be back........

Can't help you with the tax program dramas, but as far as ditching Norton is concerned, Avast is good for a freebie and apparently includes pretty much everything a commercial AV does, or if you are willing to pay, ESET NOD32 is very good (light on resources and effective). Neither includes a firewall (unless you get ESET Smart Security) but you can download a decent firewall for free anyway. I use Online Armor (http://www.tallemu.com/products-online-armor-free.php) but Outpost (http://free.agnitum.com/) is more user-friendly. Both are apparently two of the best.

Also, keep your Windows up-to-date at all times! It is just as important as having an AV installed! And keep all your third-party programs up-to-date too, like Java and Flash. It's outdated versions of these that normally leave your computer open to many infections in the first place.

Now, that's probably as much nerd-knowledge as I possess..........

Back