• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Ghrr...Computer issues!

I had used Trend Micro for a few years, but the put me off by 'reminding' (read: popups when i started my computer, used a browser etc) me that my subscription was coming due soon....Well, they consider soon to be 4 MONTHS before expiry!!

I searched around a bit and read some of the commercial reviews and settled on Kaspersky Internet Security. If you intend to not use the freeware stuff, look on e-pay and other online places for a licence key and a download link. I have managed to buy licences for under $20 for 3+ computers from legitimate resellers.

As for the other problem, have no idea. Our government provides a free download to facilitate personal tax returns.

What is the error in the event viewer ? We can look up the event id from there. What is your O/S I believe that runs on minimum of XPSP3 - Are you installing onto a 64 bit machine ? You can always stop the norton services and run the program. Do you have appropriate permissions to run it? If on Vista or 7 do you have the EUC disabled? ETC....

Dude....

What THP said.

Do'em online....and be done with it. It's free and you can go back every year. I had mine done in 12 minutes.

Screw those software programs you have to install. That only means you'll have to uninstall them later!

That'd suck. ;)

I think you can only do 1040-EZ and maybe 1040-A online. Standard 1040 with any of the plethora of forms is not available online.

that's what I thought, anyway. Yes? No?

Thanks guys. I have scrubbed my system of all traces of Norton. Ended up getting avast along with 2 other programs and after going complete scans (read 1 hour for each) I found I had no viruses, but 14 malware and other uglies that are all taken care of. System also seems to run much faster now. Still can't install the Turbotax, and am going to be asking, no demanding, a refund for the purchase price.

What's the error code number?

It's probably a corrupt install of .NET.
Unintall .NET, restart TurboTax, and it will automatically reinstall .NET.

I'm back from checking and I have 3 .NET programs 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 Should I delete all of them? I really don't know what they do.

I was going to simply re-formate my whole system today, but I can't back everyhting up because I don't have an external hard drive.

Yes remove all .NET. Don't worry you can get the latest one free but don't do that. Uninstall all, reboot, and install TurboTax. It has a .NET installer with it. This should work!

Hmm he never came back. Maybe he deleted his browser :lol:

I'm back after having restarted my system more times than I can count, I lost count....well, it didn't work. But at least I got a better antivirus program out of it. :lol:

Back