• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Ghrr...Computer issues!

Okay since you deleted .NET try reinstalling it from the Microsoft website, and then install Turbotax.

I already tried that, that was why I was gone so long. I think the Intuit f uped this program. I have ran every conceivable scan on my system and it is working in tip top shape.

If you want the extra stuff.

Well, I have some good news and some not so good news....Here's my update amd hopefully you all might be able to help me.

I decided today to purchase an external hard drive and I backed up all of my files and programs onto this drive. next I completely re-formated my hard drive and I'm back up and running, so I guess I did something right.

I then completely updated Windows and installed my antivirus, then tried TurboTax and it worked (yeh :onfire: ). Now here is my new problem and I think it is a small one compared to what has been going on....I can't seem to be able to transfere my programs from the external drive to the hard drive. If I just drag and click it to the hard drive, the programs don't work. Do you guys have any ideas how i can do this. I tried the file transfer wizard and that doesn't allow me to do it either. So yet another night on here I am asking for help.

It's not a bootable drive it's for storage only.

Yes. I have managed to transfere My Documents and My Favorites. But, when it comes to transfereing the programs, I try to copy them into C: Programs and that works, but then they aren't listed in Programs under the Start menu. Am I missing a step?

Sounds like you are trying to move programs the wrong way. You can't move program files to another drive and then move them back, you have to move the installer file. The program files are only half of the program there are all kinds of registry files etc. that are part of the program. You have to reinstall from the disk or .exe.

Well who told ya to reformat! LOL You should have stopped in here. You can still get them back, just log in to those sites and look or contact their support.

Okay. On the flip side, the computer is running as good as it did new. :lol: Obviously there was a problem and that it has been fixed. This just turned into a huge PIA! I'm starting to think I should have taken the system in and had someone else work on it.

glad the 'puter is working good for you PF.. you could have paid for someone to fix it for you but you did it yourself! consider yourself now a pc nerd :D (along with the rest of most of us who psoted in this thread!)

Thanks mel. I have done this before, however it would have been cheaper to have paid someone to do this, due to the cost of the external hard drive I bought. But, at least now I have it and it came with an automatic backup program which I have all set up. 250GB is a decent size, since my system only has a 144GB hard drive :lol:

Well, I now have my OS all back 100% and I must say it is running better now than when it was new. This isn't the first time i have done this complete scrub and re-install, it is just the first time i have done it to anything with Windows XP. The last time i did this procedure, I also had ALL of my programs that came with disks. this time around, more than half of my installed programs where purchased from downloads. So, a big thanks goes to THP for suggesting contacting tech/customer support for these programs. That turned out to be easier than i ever imagined. In most cases I had the registration keys on the spot, or they were immediatly emailed to me. Also, this new IE 8 is awesome! It seems to be a lot quicker than v.7

Anyway, thanks to all of your support.

Back