• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Giant Pumpkin+veg. GLOG!!!

Mine germinated around a month ago. They are still rather small.
d9Yn5ei.jpg

A1c1BgR.jpg

First one is the atlantic giant, second is big moon. The weather is still kind of nasty, so it could very well just be that. I'm sure we will see it vine out in about a week when we start to have really good weather.

here it is again!
85 inches now.  Thats 10 inches in 36 hours!
P1050103_zpssmxfc4my.jpg

Although the picture doesn't show it well....this fella the Rahe 823 has out grown the tennis ball, its looking wide.  I should have done a photo from directly above.
P1050105_zpsjnti9jxt.jpg

Now you're just showing off! Finally today is supposed to be great weather. Throughout next week as well we are going to have almost 80 degree weather. Pumpkins will love it and so will I because I can finally get them outta my house! I'm interested to see what the Rahe does, either way though you will have two very big pumpkins!

I'm interested to see aswell!! Those are the first seeds I've had with a good genetic history for size and colour.  The family tree is...Female flower was a 874.8 Geyelin and the male polinater was a 979 Rahe.  It seems the Geyelin is a very sought after seed.

In 12 hours my non Rahe has put on 5 inches! I wont bother with a photo, I'll wait a day or two.

So your not going to get snow anymore?  Sure would be good to get your pumpkins in the ground.  You'll have an advantage over me because you'll be able to bury your main vine!  Since I'm growing the vine over milk crates I can't do such things. I might try and get a few extra roots with pots.

They are actually getting sun as we speak. Again I must say, even the plants themselves grow really fast. Hopefully I can break ground Monday next week. If things are still nasty I many hold off for a few more days. 

As a word of advice to people thinking about growing these. Eventually the seedlings will get tiny flower buds, usually after the second set of leaves. Do not take them off!!! They will grow with the main vine and mature and get larger as the plant grows. This is how the guys that does this for competition do it. Learnt that today :D

sheeeiiiit
found some damage on the main vine.  Never had this before, not sure how its happened.  The vine didn't bend and I know its not too hot.  Maybe something bored into the vine.  Its close to the end so thats kind of good.  I'll chop it off later and get one of the secondaries to take the lead.
P1050107_zpst8ehzaln.jpg

P1050108_zpsilb3immt.jpg

Still put on 6 inches of growth today,  Taping at 96 inches now.
Even though that bad bit of vine is very thin, now that its dark the end of the vine has perked up and looks just fine!  Some how its still getting water and nutrients through.  If it starts spreading I'll chop it, but while the end of the vine is hanging in there I may as well keep it around.

Yep seems about right! Its getting some good weight on it now!!

An interesting picture youtube video of a big hydroponic pumpkin grow!  That would be pretty cool to get one going indoor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2W-gOw_kmo

Looking good today! Getting big! Just got the tape on it and its 104 inches now.  8 inches in 24 hours!  I refreshed the nutrients 12 hours ago, so that might have something to do with the extra 2 inches from yesterdays measurement.
The two vines and this pumpkin are chewing up alot of water and alot of nutrients! I'm topping up the nutrients in my 200ltr reservoir every couple of days!  Thats crazy!  When growing chilies from that reservoir I wouldn't have to touch it for weeks!
P1050114_zpsqcdc3a0k.jpg

Hmm...not sure if my photos are working....photo bucket seems a bit broken on my computer

Holy pumpkin that's big! Still shiny which is awesome. Looks like it will be a longer pumpkin she's pretty tall too so who knows? 70 degree weather today so out go the pumpkin plants. My Atlantic is still kind of slow which worries me a bunch. Hopefully it vines out and goes crazy soon. Both still haven't started to vine but I imagine soon since both have 2 sets of leaves. I will take pictures whenever that happens. How is your Rahe? I was looking up info on that one and I want it! :D

The Rahe is going ok, its 7 days since pollination now, so hopefully it starts to take off as of now! Its a bit of a funny shape...not nice and symmetrical like my other one.

Being in America you could easily get seeds from him! or heaps of other pumpkin growers!
Check out this forum and in the seed exchange section people are giving away seeds.  Thats where I found Ron Rahe.
Its a good forum for information and the growers diary is very interesting to check out.  But its strange to navigate, no replying in the diary section
http://www.bigpumpkins.com/MsgBoard/Default.asp

Here is the Rahe....I'm not convinced its ok.  But I guess we'll find out soon enough
P1050116_zpsodw71ha4.jpg

ThePepperTrent said:
Oh how cool! I've been trying to find some with pedigree papers. Thanks for sending that maybe I can get lucky and grab a hold of some nice crosses. 
No worries! Tons of info in there and a million and one growers that are mostly willing to share seeds, you'll see Ron Rahe on the first page in the seed exchange and his email address.
Tons of options though 

Back