• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Giant Pumpkin+veg. GLOG!!!

Ha! I fear what price that might be to rent one in Perth, Australia!
Luckily my last one was 55kg/121lb and I could still lift that myself, much bigger than that and I guess I'll have to figure something out.  Good problem to have though!  So late in the season I probably wont have to worry about unliftable pumpkins.

Yeah I planned too especially with the Wallace pumpkin. Don't think I can lift that 2000 pound genetics pumpkin by hand lol. 

Has your Rahe done much? 

I've was reading up on giant pumpkins last night..theres a blanket with handles made just for moving giant pumpkins. It recommends 1 person for every 75 lbs. I think I saved it in my bookmarks. I'll look

VaHgVdM.jpg

Catching some rays...

Super David said:
Ha! I fear what price that might be to rent one in Perth, Australia!
Luckily my last one was 55kg/121lb and I could still lift that myself, much bigger than that and I guess I'll have to figure something out.  Good problem to have though!  So late in the season I probably wont have to worry about unliftable pumpkins.
Pfeffer said:
Grow it on a pallet, makes it a lot easier. Renting a palletjack will cost you a few dollars.

Drive the fork lift home? Haha

ThePepperTrent said:
VaHgVdM.jpg

Catching some rays...
Looking good!

not alot of movement on the Rahe, Its 9 days since pollination now, I feel like it should have done more.  It hasn't gone soft...so I'm not sure if its a slow starter or if it didnt pollinate properly.  I'm going to pollinate another one on the Rahe tomorrow morning

No not a forklift, just a palletjack. You need some hard surface to be able to move it though (a tiled path or wooden boards). Here you rent those for 10 euro per day and a 50 euro security deposit. Or 45 euro for a full week. Can't imagine they cost a lot more down under.

adv5.jpg

I'd borrow one from work!  The problem is all my pumpkins are about 3 or 4 milk crates off the ground and my gate isn't wide enough for anything worthy of putting on a pallet jack.  Plus I've got no where to take it..I dont even think there are any pumpkin competitions in Perth, Western Australia

Super David said:
not alot of movement on the Rahe, Its 9 days since pollination now, I feel like it should have done more.  It hasn't gone soft...so I'm not sure if its a slow starter or if it didnt pollinate properly.  I'm going to pollinate another one on the Rahe tomorrow morning
Was talking with Ron, he says if it doesn't start putting on some growth within like 48 hours then it probably didn't take properly.

Its certainly done some growing but at this stage I think it should be bigger.  I think it hasn't pollinated properly.  I've got another flower that I let the bees do their work on a couple of days ago and I'm going to hand pollinate one a bit later.  
The Rahe, not moving much
P1050130_zpsbkfzekzi.jpg

P1050131_zpspul0yapv.jpg

P1050133_zpsyxk0hmbj.jpg

photo bucket is still broken for me... can't tell if I have the right photos up.  Should be the rahe and the naturally pollinated flower and the upcoming flower that should open later

Rahe does look a little sad. Kinda dull too. Just see what it does I guess. It's good to have some back up's anyways. My plants, according to what people are saying about the vine growing opposite the first leaf, are going to vine in a few days probably. Thank goodness because I did get kinda worried, they were going slow and I don't know what was up. What do you feed your pumpkin? I think fertilizer will boost it. I really haven't fed it anything. Could you post a pic of your Atlantic?

Mine are hydroponic, I'm using Dutch master Advance, I'll take some measurements and a picture of the regular atlantic

they are very very hungry plants, I'm sure some fertilizer will help

and yes its true about the vine growing the opposite way to the first true leaf, thats how I figured out which way to plant mine.  It works

Two days since the last photo and measurement.  Measuring 116 inches now, thats 12 inches in two days, approx 38lbs. 
P1050134_zpsansyklyu.jpg

That is a great looking pumpkin! You even upgraded it to basket ball size :) . Love the shape of it. 

Yeah I am trying to find a good fert for mine I don't know what to get however. I think all I have now is some bone meal lol. Don't think that is going to do the trick though. 

check out that big pumpkin forum, they have a fertilizing and watering section.  I havn't actually looked in there since I'm hydroponic

yes its a very good shape! and the colour is a darker yellow than my pumpkin from earlier in the season, even though its from the same batch of seeds.  I wonder if thats temperature or strength of fertilizer or just genetics.

It is still very shiny which is awesome. Hopefully you get some nice orange and round genetics. Wow this is addicting. I took a picture of the new leaves coming in and will compare them with another picture from tonight. This week is supposed to warm up to 75°F which will be great. 10 in the morning and it's already surpassing 50°F

Nice! sounds like pumpkin weather to me!

the more I look at that Rahe pumpkin the more I think its not ok, too dull, no real noticeable difference in size.  I think my other pumpkin was starting to blow out before day 10.

Back