• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Gibberillic Acid

+1 Exactly the response I was going to give. Chiles need very little fertilizer or fuss, sometimes just leaving them alone works best.

and for many of us (well for me at least) thats the hardest part of grow these things, just leave them alone!!!

Not a hater at all gang, just expressing an opinion.

Since I'm not a commercial farmer I don't need to maximize product for a profit. The thing is one of the points of growing our own peppers and such is how much better they taste than what you can buy in the grocery store. If I'm going to use the same chemicals that the big farms use then it's going to taste like what's available at the store. Kind of defeats the point of growing my own.

If people want to use chemicals to grow bigger and more plentiful fruits and vegies that's no concern of mine. I do enjoy and appreciate it when everyone shares what they know and keeps the rest of us up to date on what's new and exciting.

Best of luck to all of you.

+1 on that, also another reason i grow is to get the variety i want, 80% of what i grow i can't find locally.

+1 on that, also another reason i grow is to get the variety i want, 80% of what i grow i can't find locally.

90% of the plants i'm growing I'll never find or get here, includes other vegetables.

100% for me. I don't grow any varieties that are available at grocery stores. I'm more interested in healthier, more nutritious and better tasting products grown as "organically" as possible and without hormones or growth enhancers

I'm more interested in healthier, more nutritious and better tasting products grown as "organically" as possible and without hormones or growth enhancers

+1

Not chiming in here to debate (I've that going on internally plenty enough to just keep it to myself ;)), but to share.

I ponied up and bought some GA yesterday. I have some personal concerns about the effect it has on seeding, since I do occasionally save seed (I won't be using it on the plants I've isolated for seed saving), but I've got quite a few potted tomatoes that are looking rough this time of year (hotter than holy hell).

I'm going to do a side-by-side non-controlled (obviously at this point in the season) test and see what happens on those tomatoes and a few 'runt' pepper plants, as well as (don't tell on me, Phadrus) a for-fun, no-rules porch pumpkin contest (those are already planted in a septic field, so no table fare there anyway).

If I have time and a camera, I'll post back here with results. Was just about to start a thread on this very thing here. Not as much action regarding non-traditional methods on other forums I'm a member of.

Carry on ladies and gentlemen. I'm now along for the ride.

You can do anything to manipulate any living creature. Plants have been encoded with DNA that makes them survive and reproduce at all cost, regardless of where or how they live. They will adapt with very little coaxing. Go to any city park in the world and look at the trees. These massive 50+ year old organisms have never been water or fertilized since they took ground as a volunteer.

Start cloning if you really want to guarantee big, healthy, and heavy producers

How does cloning guarantee big, healthy, and heavy producers?

Well, assuming you make clones from your healthiest, best growing, biggest producing plants, the clones should grow and produce very similarly given the same conditions since they have the same genetic makeup.

Well, assuming you make clones from your healthiest, best growing, biggest producing plants, the clones should grow and produce very similarly given the same conditions since they have the same genetic makeup.

Exactly! Clones are a fancy way of saying cuttings. Guarantee might not be the best choice of word, but it was the best I could come up with. Every garden will have a plant that seems to resist bugs a little better, throws more better tasting fruit, grows bigger/tougher.............. You can also clone different characteristics of plants. That's the one you want to clone. Clones are an exact DNA match to their mother plant. Seeds are not nearly as true. You want to clone Marissa Miller and not Rosie O'Donnell

I've been using some the same cloned plants for for over 15 years. I just cherry pick and over winter anything I need.

My seed plants are usually more productive and bigger than cloned plants taken at the same time and cloned plants usually have a shorter, bushier, sprawling structure, for me anyways. Personally I usually only clone from rare, special or hybrid/crossed plants that aren't easily duplicated although I am doing a few dwarfing experiments with clones this year too

My seed plants are usually more productive and bigger than cloned plants taken at the same time and cloned plants usually have a shorter, bushier, sprawling structure, for me anyways. Personally I usually only clone from rare, special or hybrid/crossed plants that aren't easily duplicated although I am doing a few dwarfing experiments with clones this year too

To be honest I haven't attempted to clone a chile plant yet but I've had great results with other plants. I will try to clone a few once I'm better able to determine which are the best specimens.

WOAH, WOAH, WOAH...Stop the presses!! Are you telling me that this whole time I thought that a clone and a cutting were the same...I WAS COMPLETELY CORRECT???? WOAH!! Blew my mind there for a second... :rofl:

looks like someone rode the sarcasm train to work today :)

Back