beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

grantmichaels said:
I have to xfer the Choc Maple Porter into the 3 gal keg that the SLO vacated, and let it sit in the keezer (cold) this week ...

I need a distributor block and a CO2 refill STAT - or self-service will halt, LOL.
I have 2 Co2 bottles for this reason!

Bumper said:
I have 2 Co2 bottles for this reason!

Makes sense, yeah ...

I'm going to pop a 20 lb bottle in the keezer w/ a distributor block for kegs ...

I'll have the existing 5 lb tank out loose in the brewery for liquid transfers, purging ... and primarily for bottling w/ the beer gun ...

I am a maniacal optimizer ... I can't stop crunching on stuff ...

I'm sitting here thinking about brewing, and what's going well and what's not fun ...

Top of my list for not-fun is wort chilling ... my brew day gets hectic and stops being fun when it comes time to sanitize the fermenter and accessory gear, and setup and run the equipment for the wort chilling ...

In the end, I've come to use my tandem exactly the way I thought I would. The immersion chiller is repurposed as an inline prechiller for the plate chiller that's added in the wort recirc whirlpool loop if you will. The plate chiller alone is more effective than the immersion chiller alone, and I like not putting objects into my post-boil wort/beer as a general principle.

I think though, that I need to try a new method next all-grain brew, since I have multiple pumps around - and that is using the tap water from 212F down to like 100F as I've done, but then switching the plate chillers water source to pumped ice water, and skipping the immersion chiller altogether. RM has said he thought I'd end up not using the immersion chiller, and I think it might be true.

Here's why - been doing it wrong. Mixing 32F ice and groundwater is not nearly as effective as pulling a five gallon deer park container of 38F water out of the keezer and pumping it through the plate chiller. FiVe gallons of 38F water has much better cooling potential than five gallons of ice-slurry water, for all reasonably amounts of ice.

So, I think the immersion chiller will be relegated to only seeing use on test batches and perhaps for any extract brews where I'm working on the stove without a spigot.

Test batches are coming back real soon, and I'm absolutely not using the automated rig for them - the ceremony and CIP is far too extensive.

My mash in one sous vide, sparge from the other plans from way back are going to come roaring back in the near future, along with making pressure canned starters in bulk. Once I brew this five gallon batch of stout (partial grain), I'll be crossing the twenty-gallon mark in total batches, and I'm ready to implement pre-made starters and yeast harvesting etc before the next twenty are brewed.

So, I think we'll wrap up this wave and enter a fourth here pretty soon - where I do some alternating five (partial) and single gallon brew sessions to do some side-by-side hops and yeast comparison experiments.

I think at just about any point in time, I'll decide to deep-dive on saison and stout only, and not brew anything else. If I had unlimited cold storage, I'd just brew stouts.

Every beer I drink that isn't stout, serves only to keep my wonting for stout burning strong - I'll by those. I'm going to specialize sooner than later, and drill-down into stouts - water, which brand grain, whether yeast suits them better after successive harvesting's etc.

In other related news, the kit I didn't brew seems mad decent, with ingredients from BSG, Munton's, and Fermentis ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438034743.519940.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438034765.218909.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438034775.835699.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438034786.853089.jpg

For coming from Amazon, and being a partial-grain ditty, it seems like it should make a decent beer - and five gallons of it - using just a stock pot.

Here's to hoping it gets me some stout, because there's exceedingly little available for purchase right now - middle of summer and all.

It's summer 45-50 weeks of the year here - I want stout full-time. Fuck these 'stout is a winter seasonal' assholes, wherever they are ...

CHEERS!

This really seems very complicated....I guess my only question....is it worth it? I get the satisfaction of doing/making it yourself, but will it be as good or better than the beer that you like and currently buy?

tctenten said:
This really seems very complicated....I guess my only question....is it worth it? I get the satisfaction of doing/making it yourself, but will it be as good or better than the beer that you like and currently buy?
Definitely cheaper, at least for me lol. Grant has a lot more gadgets invested. It is a lot of fun too.
Figure a 4pk of 10-Fidy is $15. My Imperial stout kit was $50. That's 53 beers if you end with 5 gals.

Ozzy2001 said:
Definitely cheaper, at least for me lol. Grant has a lot more gadgets invested. It is a lot of fun too.
Figure a 4pk of 10-Fidy is $15. My Imperial stout kit was $50. That's 53 beers if you end with 5 gals.

That is quite a bit cheaper. Once you find a recipe or two that you like, it will more than pay for the supplies.

Oh, it's better.

There's no question - fresh is best, I guess ...

Homebrew is awesome.

Every beer (two so far, about to be 5 for 7, I hope) has been more exciting to drink than the same commercial beers in my house that I usually enjoy.

Bumper and RM are far more practical in their approach.

I wanted the least friction for Wheebz, honestly. I'm enjoying talking beer with everyone, but I'm not reading books on brewing, I'm learning by doing what Wheebz says, for the most part.

If you are willing to brew outside, it's much less expensive to purchase equipment - but you have to brew outside ...

That *SUCKS* here, learned enough BBQ'ing to extrapolate that much.

Super jealous of Ozzy's 68F basement, too, a lot of my expense is cold storage, which I bet you have many months of the year.

I'm ABSOLUTELY planning to attempt to monetize a blog on brewing, so there's an element of doing things that will make for "sensational" posts to get established. No risk, no reward and all ... and we all know how long the attention span of internet-visitors is!

LOL.

It's good shit, get in there ...

What is your biggest kettle right now for sauce etc? ...

Yeah my basement gets way colder in the winter lol. I can probably lager by moving it closer and closer to my old ass windows lol.
tctenten said:
That is quite a bit cheaper. Once you find a recipe or two that you like, it will more than pay for the supplies.
That's what I figure. The more you brew, the more you will save. Incentive to drink lol.

Pretty sure 20 or 24 qt stainless steel.

Why would/do you brew outside?

My house is at 68 or 69 year round, I have separate thermostats for air conditioner and for heat. Yes they have both been on at the same time. My basement is a bit cooler, but not much.

Pretty sure 20 or 24 qt stainless steel.

Why would/do you brew outside?

My house is at 68 or 69 year round, I have separate thermostats for air conditioner and for heat. Yes they have both been on at the same time. My basement is a bit cooler, but not much.

Can do 2-2.5 gallon all-grain BIAB in there, and partial volume from 3-5 gallon (would be pretty full) ... and can easily do five gallon extract batches using it ...

So you would need a BIAB bag, StarSan, hydrometer, and an auto-siphon as far as specific new stuff ...

Non-specific gear you likely have: paint bucket, airlock, drilled stopper, slotted spoon, strainer, pH, thermometer, funnel ...

And you can wort chill w/ ice in your sink, and ferment in your house w/ wet-towel method ...

I'll tell you what, I think I can hook you up with it all without even feeling it, actually ...

Are you ready?

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435913720.922842.jpg

CHEERS!

So, the Chocolate Maple Porter was brewed on 7/2, and it's now 7/28, so it's probably best to transfer the top three gallons to the three gallon keg later on, and then I'll place it in the serving freezer at 37F ...

I need to find CO2 closer to home than the place I used last time all the way up by my work, because there's not enough in the tank to carbonate the Chocolate Maple Porter =/ ...

Also, the Summer Wheat beer is now at 15 days in primary and had a wildly active ferment early on, so I guess that one's ready to start heading towards a keg, too ...

Not yet. Right now I am having a hard enough time keeping up with my peppers and tomato harvest.

When I take the plunge, I am going to have many questions for you, Bumper and Ozzy.

tctenten said:
Not yet. Right now I am having a hard enough time keeping up with my peppers and tomato harvest.

When I take the plunge, I am going to have many questions for you, Bumper and Ozzy.

If you start in Fall, you'll have Christmas beer.

If you start now, you'll have Fall beer.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm all about having beer during the football seasons (NCAA/NFL) ...

I think there's only time enough for a single round of fermentation before the 1st pre-season game, LOL ...

Back