food =[ grantmichaels' skunkworx thread ]=

@FreeportBum @tctenten

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426552877.163267.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426552885.438631.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426552893.046849.jpg

This seems so arbitrary it boggles my mind (which prefers rigor) ...

I gave it some flour (1c)/h2o (.75c) last wknd, but didn't let it have time out to ramp up ...

Tonight, I gave it (.67c)/(.5c), and I have it out to do it's thing ...

Is it really just a feel thing, you add some flour and water and incorporate it, and let it do 'the thing' and then put it back ...

You never really know it's water content, it's saturation, or strength or ? ...

It's just one of those things?

I want to make some waffles w/ it, soon, and crack open that grade b sizzurp!

For me I don't measure shyte until I actually use it. I did at first but now I just add about half the amount of flour to starter/ratio and add enough water to make the consistency I like. If I feed it to cook with I will use it at 100% hydration.

are you often adding at like a 2:3, or 3:4 water:flour? ... about? ...

so, like, when you are just storing it, for that amount depicted, how much does it need to eat while cold just to maintain the same volume if it? ... like a cup? ...

you are talking about doubling flour, but that must be for when you are trying to rebuild it after taking half to use, right? ...

I have two different containers I rotate. I usually always feed it by eye about half the amount of flour to starter. If it is a lot I just feed it then pour some of it off into another container and sart the process all over again with that. And toss the rest. You can do many different things to the starter and it will keep on living. You could keep it unfed six months and probably still bring it back to life with no problems. Hell you could make a giant batch let it go dormant for a few weeks and drink the hooch off the top and get shit faced.mnow that would be some awesome drunken chef

grantmichaels said:
They were really good.

Turned into a bit of a production for late-night, but man, so good ...

Tacochanga's because I don't know what they really would be, and I'm sure boss will be all tortilla nazi on them ...

D3monic said:
"Nice fajitas" lol those look tasty

grantmichaels said:
I thought I was making a chalupa? ...

I was summoned here. My verdict is... it's a Burtaco!
Nice flavor development. 

Yes, I am guilty of knowing Mexican items to be whatever taco bell's said, lol ...

For shame!
The plan was chimi, but overfilled as per the usual ...

FreeportBum said:
For me I don't measure shyte until I actually use it. I did at first but now I just add about half the amount of flour to starter/ratio and add enough water to make the consistency I like. If I feed it to cook with I will use it at 100% hydration.
Grant this is what I read as well. If I have 1 cup of starter in my mason jar, I will feed it 1/2 cup and then water to keep it at the "thick pancake batter" consistency. Generally it will amount to a little less than 1/2 cup of water. I also agree that when you take some starter out to use for whatever, always feed equal parts water to flour.

Booma said:
I like that idea grant of the brisket

It was a great use of the brisket at that age (~wk old), the strands of beef and fat separated easily and the meat was little bit dehydrated - which is perfect for browning ...

I will be repeating that, for sure, because it's a better protein/carb ratio for me as tacos, than as sandwiches ...

OK, here's some vagueness ...

I'm looking to the crowd for inspiration on this ...

I have been ordering sausage on my pizza from the place we order late-night pizza from of late ...

There's sage in the sausage, kind of like breakfast Jimmy Dean or whatever ... and I like it ...

It seems, one way or another, nothing I've been cooking calls for sage, really, and I used to love cooking w/ sage (pork tenderloin, flounder etc) ...

What do you cook where sage is the star? ...

I want sage back in my life, but in a healthier way than via sausage ...

Any input is appreciated!

Back