• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food =[ grantmichaels' skunkworx thread ]=

I'll do another cook, and then I'll post whichever is best ... and those were stellar.

The little balsamic pearls gave them a nice little twang, and the benton's and applewood smoked salt on the maters provided grilled-like reassurance with the smoked gouda ...

I have more Hawaiian rolls, and more beef, and Bob Evans maple breakfast patties (fuck yeah sausage, right?!?!) ...

#Curmudgeon #TenFidy #RogueDoubleChocolate #CCBINvasion

grantmichaels said:
I forgot to shoot PoL for the TD sliders ...

So, I'll post them here ...

attachicon.gif
IMG_0700.jpg

Savory Butter Hawaiian Rolls ...

attachicon.gif
IMG_0708.jpg

Rougie Duck and Benton's Bacon fat ...

attachicon.gif
IMG_0712.jpg

Relish, BV Pearls, Roma Tomato Slices, Canadian Bacon, Kewpie Searzal'd Hawaiian Slider Rolls ...

attachicon.gif
IMG_0724.jpg

Getting happy in the pan with bag juices from the sous vide ...

attachicon.gif
IMG_0730.jpg

Searzall'd Smoked Gouda and placed ham ...

attachicon.gif
IMG_0736.jpg

At first there were 3x ...

attachicon.gif
IMG_0749.jpg

And then there were but two ...

attachicon.gif
IMG_0743.jpg

Man, were they spot on ...

Kind of glad I don't have to type of text ...

Peace!

iPhone snaps ...
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273607.292737.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273615.948299.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273624.217893.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273637.345042.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273649.362052.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273658.929984.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273670.314497.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273679.371238.jpgDessert!
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273711.115810.jpg
Brought tears to my eyes. So beautiful!

I'd fit this into your final post if I were you. ;)

post-6343-0-01074400-1434270956_thumb.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
I'd fit this into your final post if I were you. ;)

post-6343-0-01074400-1434270956_thumb.jpg

I actually have a better one of that one, from my iPhone ...

I shot w/ both my iPhone and the 5D (handheld) last night, for fun ...

I have taken out the tripod ... will be amazed at my resolve if I actually use it, though ...

I just can't get into the sous vide concept... I get that it gets the job done but then you still gotta come back and add grill marks and stuff or it's just boiled looking meat. Why not just cook it in the pan or the grill/smoker thingy you got in the first place?

Not knocking it, never had anything cooked in one. I can see how it would keep it juicy being vac sealed though

just seems like it creates more work for you. 

Ok I googled it, I can see how it would come in handy if you're working on projects while waiting for it to cook as it wont over cook on you if you get side tracked. Lord knows I do that all the time with the grill... just be posting and .. OH SHIT THE GRILL.. run outside to flames billowing out. 

Still seems like a lot of effort though. 

D3monic said:
I just can't get into the sous vide concept... I get that it gets the job done but then you still gotta come back and add grill marks and stuff or it's just boiled looking meat. Why not just cook it in the pan or the grill/smoker thingy you got in the first place?

Not knocking it, never had anything cooked in one. I can see how it would keep it juicy being vac sealed though

just seems like it creates more work for you. 

You have a lifetime of experience eating that makes it hard to imagine what it is ...

What if the juices and fats never escaped the food you were cooking, and primarily stayed inside the meat - instead of dripping on coals, burning to a pan, or otherwise? ...

The extra work is mostly all for aesthetics - I don't do it for myself when I sous vide Tue night's meal ...

Do it in your sink or cooler and report back =)

It's not that hard ... you can do a piece of fish really easily in a cooler using hot water from the tap ...

Beyond that, it's a bit of a lifestyle ... a really laid back, low pressure one ...

A lot of it is about timing ...

The juicy lucy will be a more obvious choice for sous vide than sliders, but once the sous vide is down, it's hard not to use it because it's honestly quite convenient ...

PS - there isn't a single rare slider that doesn't have white unrendered fat in the least cook center - well, except all of mine that is =)

I think Bumper or Booma are close to having one, and then they'll be all the rage ... LOL.

I didn't finish it ... but I sampled it out of sheer curiosity ... I probably shouldn't have photographed it before drinking it, if finishing it were to be remotely possible.

Actually - I was blaming JHP's Smoked Goat earlier for numbing my ass when I dropped the kids off, but it could easily have had to do w/ that nasty hooch shit, I guess ...
The Hot Pepper said:
Oh man. If the Aussies do it that means TB will love it by default. :rofl:

This could catch on after all.

I mean ... I griddler'd some, I pan fried a bunch, and I even Searzall'd a couple from raw ...

I like all of the burgers, all of the ways.

There's a bit of that filet -vs- ribeye, meatloaf -vs- hamburger kind of feel to it all ...

Some days I want some char, some days I want the juicy-jus ...
POC for the chef ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434318777.164889.jpg

Don't look, no sear marks! LOL

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434318822.825913.jpg

tctenten said:
Were you able to revive your starter?

Yeah ...

I scraped the top inch off the starter and grabbed 10oz start mix into the mixture of 10oz and 10oz organic rye flour and spring water that I'd mixed up just prior ...

I left it to sit on the countertop overnight, and it's done it's thing ...

It's seemingly VERY thick at this ratio, but maybe that's how it's supposed to be me, I'm not sure ...

I know it doubled or tripled in size ...

I'm planning to leave it out, again, and tomorrow repeat the procedure, except doubling back up to the taller cambro ...

So, I'll do a 20oz, 20oz, w/ 20oz of the starter tomorrow, and let it doing it's thing overnight until Tuesday morning, at which time I'll either feed it to use some and then put it back in the fridge, or feed it for hibernation ...

That's the plan anyways ...

Back