• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Greetings from Peru

As many of you already know, my wife is from Peru so we took a couple weeks off and came down here to visit her family. This is either my 10th or 11th trip to this country. Anyway I have been visiting a few markets in the area and have come up with some interesting things.

Some of my scenes in this thread will be a tad off topic but I will keep everything in one thread so I dont have to start different threads as lomg as that is ok with everyone. We left Springfield, MO ON 09/14/2009 and then got on a different plane in Atlanta. The plane from Atlanta to Lima has some improvements like your own little TV where you can actually choose what you want to watch which is nice when being in a plane for over 6 hours.
2vvt3d1.jpg

After spending a couple days in Lima we went North about 2 hours to 2 little towns called Huacho and Vegueta. This is the town of Vegueta
28t7xhc.jpg

In Huacho I managed to score some Yellow Rocotos which I have been wanting to add to my pepper collection for some time
241lbuw.jpg

According to the locals around here these Green Rocotos are ripe. I am kinda skeptical although I did get some seeds from them just in case
15qyfer.jpg

I also managed to score some Aji Limo (Red). These are very popular with those that live on the coast and will be a nice addition to my pepper collection and others as well if I can keep them going
2v9w1ut.jpg

This pepper is called Aji Arnaucho (purple)
jjs75u.jpg

This is the real Aji Panca. You buy it already dried. Fortunately they sun dry them so the seeds should all be good
2ur1kax.jpg

Ever hear of a Caihua? If not you have now. I have never seen these except here in Peru. They cut the insides out and styff them with sausage, eggs, maters etc for making rellenos. I am gonna try to grow some next year
aw2fbp.jpg

The seeds
2wqy8gj.jpg

Next week we are going up in the Andes Mtns so I hope to find new peppers and other cool stuff up there.

cool stuff. be sure to post anything you may find on your travels.

maybe it's just me but those green rocotos wouldn't be starting to turn yellow if they were ripe would they?

Ballzworth said:
maybe it's just me but those green rocotos wouldn't be starting to turn yellow if they were ripe would they?

Thats what I am thinking too.
I guess we shall see.

enjoy your time in Peru...it is a beautiful country...

and keep on collecting peppers...there may be some on the forum that want a few... ;)

BrianS said:
Some of my scenes in this thread will be a tad off topic but I will keep everything in one thread so I dont have to start different threads as lomg as that is ok with everyone.

You started the thread, so whatever you've got is on topic if you ask me!

Pretty cool stuff, looking forward to more pics, chilis or not!

Brian,I'm thinking you might have found the lost pod of the Incas with that Caihua!A beauty!Better not enjoy too much of that green tea down there,it may have some serious job implications when you get back!
I grew up in Stillwater and I'm certainly looking forward to the Cowboy/Longhorn meetup later in the year!Have a safe trip and try to ripen some of those pods in a paper bag with an apple if possible!

VERY nice. :) Have a great trip. I wish I was there! Keep on collecting. I'd love to do a seed expedition and vacation in Peru. So many treasures there. I can't wait to hear what you find as time goes on.

Is that Caihua a pepper? If so, that's crazy. :) Let me know.

Chris

Back