Greetings from Wild Wonderful Wacky WV

Hower yins don? Well, at's haw we sate-eern Wesserginya. LOL. But seriously, how's it going? I'm Jonathan. I'm just your average chilihead.

Like all of you, I enjoy scalding my mouth and throat with all types of piquant chilies. I grew up in an Italian city (Clarksburg) as was exposed pretty early to hot peppers. For about 6 years I lived right next door to the Oliverio Pepper Plant (all WVians know about these peppers, I'm sure) and so I greeted every day with the aroma of Italian peppers.

My brothers and I made our own little club called "the pepper brothers" wherein we would challenge each other to eating spicy foods and peppers. I was only 6 or 7 years old at the time but I held my own. Truth be told, I just really loved the flavor (especially of the Hungarian wax and jalepeño peppers). We were just stupid kids growing up in the 80s but it was fun, nonetheless.

Well, as an adult in the late 90s, I heard about habaneros and I wanted to grow some. I really liked the sauce the served down at El Rincon that was made from them. It was definitely hotter than I was accustomed to. Well, I knew that I would be a great habanero grower so I gave it a shot.

I made myself a simple garden in my back yard. My exwife grew tomatoes and I grew habaneros--and boy did they produce! Holy shit, man--they were loaded with orange pods. Well, with all these habaneros, I had to create some recipes. I added them to everything. Trust me, NO ONE wanted to be a dinner guest at my house. My chili con carne had so many habaneros that they were the dominant flavor even above the cumin and tomato. I guess I was going overboard...and my exwife let me know as much when, in an intimate moment, I accidentally set her lady parts on fire with spicy hands. Ah...but I digress.

Well, after a successful year of growing Orange habaneros, I decided to try scotch bonnets and red habaneros. Again, they produced like crazy and, once again, dinner guests were scarcely seen at my house. This was the same year I learned to make good deer jerky so you can just imagine the super-spicy concoctions that were coming out of my kitchen that fall.

Well, jumping ahead to present day, I'm now 35 and crazier than ever. I grow many different chinense varieties. Fatalliis, Bhuts, 7 Pots and Dealers and my favorites. I'm not sure when I went off the deep end when it comes to loving extreme heat and flavor. It was somewhere between those little Orange habaneros and Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion.

But who cares? People think we're nuts. They think we're masochists. But they just don't get it. We love life. That's all.

And I swear, if ONE more non-chilihead asks what it's like to take a shit after eating superhots, I think I'm going to give them their answer by putting some capsicum oleoresin in their soda pop. Actually, that would be unethical. Damn it.

Back