• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2016 !!!

I started 3 pots with a seed starter mix on 3-14.On 3-20 I started another batch in baggies.And last night in the "Last Call" mini run I put some in pucks and more baggies(coffee filter).I have a cutoff of 4-15 for my outdoor 50 plant reservation.By then any plants I move into Iowa dirt need to not only be started but also transplanted to a solo cup.I have a feeling that Mother Nature likes to remind us of who is truly in charge of the when and what for's as far as her growing schedule is concerned.Shall I not be able to join in the festivities,I assure you I will follow the grow down closely to make sure your plants dont have the look of plastic. :shh:
3-14-16 pic taken today
DSCF9499.jpg

last call starts
DSCF9498.jpg

randyp said:
  I started 3 pots with a seed starter mix on 3-14.On 3-20 I started another batch in baggies.And last night in the "Last Call" mini run I put some in pucks and more baggies(coffee filter).I have a cutoff of 4-15 for my outdoor 50 plant reservation.By then any plants I move into Iowa dirt need to not only be started but also transplanted to a solo cup.I have a feeling that Mother Nature likes to remind us of who is truly in charge of the when and what for's as far as her growing schedule is concerned.Shall I not be able to join in the festivities,I assure you I will follow the grow down closely to make sure your plants dont have the look of plastic. :shh:
3-14-16 pic taken today
attachicon.gif
DSCF9499.jpg
last call starts
attachicon.gif
DSCF9498.jpg

I sure hope you get them to sprout, cause you had some monsters last year!

Noah Yates said:
I guess maybe I should try to start another round of serlanos.

I am wishing I didn't use all the seeds already so I could do this as well!  Im up to 5 black seeds as of this morning, and the inside of the cups smell musty.  I think they are all goners... :(

For the future, I would like to respectfully suggest that we use a variety that is well known and widely marketed and people can purchase their own seeds.  Examples might be: ferry-morse brand (widely distributed) poblano, serrano, orange habanero,  early jalapeno, bell, passila bajio, or long slim red cayenne... etc

For that matter I think we could still have a growdown of that nature.... again... its just as much of a contest to grow the tallest plant in a shorter period of time.

In fact... the rapid cell division phase of early growth could work to our advantage if we were to use a "late started" anuum.  I have planted anuums in late April and watched them take off.  

I think having one variety of seeds is a better idea, but it'd be nice if we had a variety that germinated fairly easily. These are just ridiculous.

I like the idea of an open growdown type scenario too.  I had a black habanero grow to 8 feet one time with no special attention.

i think the whole point is to see who has the best grow methods and not have genetics be the factor of size. Thus, everyone gets the same seed source. With that being said, were these seeds not OP and bred to be 100% serlano?

Noah Yates said:
For the future, I would like to respectfully suggest that we use a variety that is well known and widely marketed and people can purchase their own seeds.  Examples might be: ferry-morse brand (widely distributed) poblano, serrano, orange habanero,  early jalapeno, bell, passila bajio, or long slim red cayenne... etc
For that matter I think we could still have a growdown of that nature.... again... its just as much of a contest to grow the tallest plant in a shorter period of time.
I think a better idea would be to change the end and start dates. Viable seeds are just a matter of good collection and storage practices.

At the risk of getting run out of here by an angry mob with pitchforks, I thought I'd share how my plants are doing.

IMG_0656_zpsyzo72ohp.jpg

Planting heavy pays off! I think I'm at about a 25% germ rate. I'm kind of amazed actually. My chinense grow is pretty much a dumpster fire of failure right now. I think I'm beginning to see light at the end of the sewer pipe, but my plants are about two months behind schedule. 
     Whatever though. I like to think the lessons I learned by almost killing every one of my plants a few months ago have helped me become the master ( :rofl: ) gardener you see before you today.

Back