• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2019 Sri Lanka - Chilli Red!

I've been slacking on updates.  Sorry friends.  Lots of work travel.

I have two different types.  One is the long pod and the other is the short upward facing pod.  I assume the contest variety is the long pod. 

Edit:  Did some reading.  Will be weighing the long pods for the comp.  Still growing out the short pods because they look tasty.    

cVGCI84.jpg

TQU8ip2.jpg

Rop3NyE.jpg

rdw2SbH.jpg

Well I'm finally kind of getting a little closer to maybe soon possibly... eh, never mind. Anyway, here's a plant. 
lol.gif

gentle-throwdown.jpg

Along with the rest of my tent plants -- aside from, predictably, my lemon drop -- it's flowering like mad and then dropping them all like it actually is mad. At me. It's not like I intentionally gave its bag a tattoo that looks sort of like a Transformer or something.

I originally had three plants to a tray in here; freed up some room on the bottom and moved to two per tray when they started foliating like crazy. So now this guy has plenty of room to not grow peppers.  :cool:

Orekoc said:
The F2 grow out from that plant might provide better ideas as to the cross.  Grow hundreds of them Devv!

Technically, this is F3, with very possible OP crossing in its F2 last year. 2017 = Original Growout (multiple phenos), 2018 = Second year (Two main phenos) and this year We are growing OP seeds from the second 2018 pheno. 

That's the gist 

EMN1-SS said:
On the board!
5tDUEk1.jpg

These seem to get really wilty and shriveled as they are ripening... it has been exceptionally hot in SC lately, so I'm guessing that has something to do with it. Super tasty!

I noticed that too with the "growdown" pheno last year. Worse in wet weather. A trait that the original pheno doesn't exhibit. Almost like the way frutescens does. Almost juicifies if left to ripen too long. Great for sauce though. 

internationalfish said:
Well I'm finally kind of getting a little closer to maybe soon possibly... eh, never mind. Anyway, here's a plant. 
lol.gif

gentle-throwdown.jpg

Along with the rest of my tent plants -- aside from, predictably, my lemon drop -- it's flowering like mad and then dropping them all like it actually is mad. At me. It's not like I intentionally gave its bag a tattoo that looks sort of like a Transformer or something.

I originally had three plants to a tray in here; freed up some room on the bottom and moved to two per tray when they started foliating like crazy. So now this guy has plenty of room to not grow peppers.  :cool:

Nice! Hope you have continued success! Ha nice transformer art. 

internationalfish said:
Potted up my SLR into a 3-gallon bag. It's looking pretty good; hopefully it starts settings pods soon. :)
Also, I found a tag buried in one of my many mystery plants, and it looks like I have at least one other SLR. Hooray for backup! 
lol.gif
That is a great looking plant, 'Fish, but you had better 
soak  the last two nodes on each branch in bleach to
maintain really good growth.

juanitos said:
i left this extra laying around. looks he's doing fine without any help from me lol, passed it off to a friend.

cCrPHrAp.jpeg

Those look like the pods on Mr. Sausage. Mine are
turning purple in the sun. Will get a pic tomorrow.

PaulG said:
That is a great looking plant, 'Fish, but you had better 
soak  the last two nodes on each branch in bleach to
maintain really good growth.

It's really hard to keep this stuff straight. I would've gone with the classic motor oil and antifreeze regimen, but not having a car, I just don't have those things around any more...  :neutral:

Some great looking plants on here. My plant did not like its pot to much so I transplanted it into a bigger one. I do have some pods though. I want to practice bagging blossoms this year for both my peppers and tomatoes, so I know I have pure seed.

Attachments

• 26D6ABCD-23EE-401E-93AA-3F37C156868A.jpeg
    26D6ABCD-23EE-401E-93AA-3F37C156868A.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 81
Finally got my two plants up-potted into their final resting homes.  Here is a pic of the chinense-ish plant:
7UieZoa.jpg

The pods on that plant start out light green.
jKG8QAV.jpg

Here is the more annuum plant which I believe is the one I will use for the Growdown.  Broke a small stem off when planting.  Damn, lost a few pods there.
0Ocrgt0.jpg

Although this picture sucks, I believe it is showing the proper pod shape.  Long, dark green pods, hopefully maturing to red.
f5ZEUEp.jpg

God my peppers are doing badly. Me thinks they have thrips but no treatment is changing anything

(edit: and yes I know I need to water them, I have done so)

Attachments

• 163F0EDB-CF91-45F7-BB4C-B06D0251D122.jpeg
    163F0EDB-CF91-45F7-BB4C-B06D0251D122.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 79
  • BC0603AE-E8E3-443D-BFCD-EE1FB4934901.jpeg
    BC0603AE-E8E3-443D-BFCD-EE1FB4934901.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 83
skullbiker said:
Just thought I would post pics of pods on 4 of the Sri Lanka Chili Red plants.

This one is growing them upwards with a curve in them(and they are a little strange looking):

attachicon.gif
C2B17047-0BB6-4570-84D2-037C537CEF0A.jpeg

Top view of that same plant:

attachicon.gif
80B30FCD-5D65-42F4-BD1A-4065CDB19E28.jpeg

On this one they are pointing down and squatty:

attachicon.gif
ABE27AE3-18CA-4DF6-8E72-7391BAD1E999.jpeg

This one has the standard skinny/long pods:

attachicon.gif
13FB5EB0-087F-4020-8C4B-0B4A0799429B.jpeg

This one also has long thin pods:

attachicon.gif
11A685FD-12F0-4223-BDA1-B1E956561139.jpeg

I have three more plants and all of them seem to be just slightly different although all but one has the narrow leaves.

Back