• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2019 Sri Lanka - Chilli Red!

DontPanic said:
I'm glad to hear a few other people are having a similar experience with the slowness to ripen to a full red color.  I've had a bunch of peppers for a while now, but they refuse to ripen to a red color.

If this keeps up, I may quietly shift gears to the "Sri Lankan Chili GREEN".
Dumb question. Can we harvest and weigh green pods? We use green pods more than red in Indian cuisine and I bet these would be awesome..

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

NeedsWork said:
First weigh in!  Looks like I have a ton of posts to check out.  And some catching up to do.   :D

Total: 16g 

W6GIXn9.jpg

PdFWZ4W.jpg

krPNV9P.jpg

:surprised:  :shocked:  :scared:

Masher said:
Ed, you get enough to try pickling the greens.

Mine have stunted since plant out so far.
Yea pickling would be a good option. I've already been giving a bunch away. My idea was to just make that basic sauce as simple as possible so I can cook with it without changing the flavor much but it turns out it's a pretty damn good sauce by itself. Sometimes basic is the way to go. Especially since this pepper has some pretty unique properties all by itself

Edmick said:
Yea pickling would be a good option. I've already been giving a bunch away. My idea was to just make that basic sauce as simple as possible so I can cook with it without changing the flavor much but it turns out it's a pretty damn good sauce by itself. Sometimes basic is the way to go. Especially since this pepper has some pretty unique properties all by itself
Boooo mine have a lot of flowers and zero pods Boooooo lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I can't believe yall like them better GREEN! Not that they aren't scrumptious green, but man, that JUICE JUICE kaboom when red and that sweet, heat that follows. That's where its at for me. Both good in their own way. 
Also, jealous of all the great looking plants and weigh ins so far. This year may be a crazy tight year! May the best damn soil win. 

My Growdown Throwdown Sri Lankan Chilli Red is a little  crowded.  :/

I reserved what I thought was my best location for my expected competitor.  But I can't resist the urge to try more varieties, and squeeze them into my available space.  :)

Believe it or not, I've cut down quite a bit on the density of my pepper plants from last year, but it's still dense.

EPtzDHY.jpg

Maybe having to compete with all the other near-by pepper plants will "scare" the Chilli Red into being more productive!  :confused:

I'm curious as heck to see how this plant stacks up against everyone else's.

Edmick convinced me to try one of these peppers while green, so here's my first weigh-in.

Jtcw2ol.jpg

I sliced it up and tried it with a Burrito from Taco Mama's down the street.

I didn't pick up on all the flavors everyone else can discern, but this is a really good tasting pepper.  It has a nice sweetness to it.  It had a nice level of heat to it, but it wasn't super hot.  I'm often thrown off by the heat level of my early peppers.  The late season Sri Lankan Chilli Red's may pack more punch.

Now I'm gonna wait for a few of 'em to rippen up to a nice red color, and compare the flavor.

dxPsGHZ.jpg

5.7 ounces so far. Most of my first batch of flowers that set have been picked now, but I've got a strong second round coming through. Another few weeks and I should have enough to start a ferment. Was thinking something heavy on garlic and light on the vinegar later.

Back