• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing in the Pacific NorthWest Community GrowLog

There have been several yearly PNW grow logs, the last in 2017,
so @FGpepperguy and I thought it might be a good idea to start
an on-going glog for the PNW. This is a community glog, so anyone
is free to post here, whether in the PNW or not. Hopefully, this forum
thread will provide for some information sharing particular to growing
in our crazy, unpredictable weather.

So, that being said, welcome all. Don't be strangers!

"Yes, we can grow chili peppers in the
Pacific NorthWest! Usually."
duck1.jpeg

Last edited:
Well here it is 2 weeks since my last post and have had numerous animal incursions with various stages of damage and one death. First had the cold weather and 3 days with rain off and on. Next came home after work and found a squirrel had dig out 2 dragon's breath and bury a peanut shell in the open holes argggg 1 dragon's breath seems like it will make it, maybe, and the other did not. Also found the hot box was getting less sun than expected so moved it next to the GH and gained about 4 hrs of sun per day. Earlier this week found out that my 3 dogs were urinating on my habs, so that explained why they looked so bad. Trying to recover by over watering for dilution and showing some minor recovery on a couple, no so much on the other 3. Yesterday added small amounts of bone meal then covered it all with shredded straw and found out the dogs loved the smell so much they dug out 3 plants fully and partially dug out 4 others arggg Replanted them all and again over watered a bit to help recover. My scotchBonnet has 24 pods on it today and my Habanero has 13 so happy about that. The 2 OW Reapers have given me 4 ripe peppers so far and have 14 pods between then with about another 4 dozen flowers. Pictures added for comparison from exactly 21 days ago. I now have a wire mesh fence around the boxes to help prevent furture incursions.

Attachments

• jalapenos cayennes 06-28-23.jpg
    jalapenos cayennes 06-28-23.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 58
  • habaneros scotch bonnet 06-28-23.jpg
    habaneros scotch bonnet 06-28-23.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 55
  • LavaApoc Ghost Reapers Dragons Breath 06-28-23.jpg
    LavaApoc Ghost Reapers Dragons Breath 06-28-23.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Reaper 01 06-28-23.jpg
    Reaper 01 06-28-23.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 56
  • Reaper 02 06-28-23.jpg
    Reaper 02 06-28-23.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 60
  • ScotchBon 01 06-28-23.jpg
    ScotchBon 01 06-28-23.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 55
  • ScotchBon 02 06-28.jpg
    ScotchBon 02 06-28.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 65
  • ScotchBon03 06-28.jpg
    ScotchBon03 06-28.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Hab 03 06-28-23.jpg
    Hab 03 06-28-23.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Hab 04 06-28.jpg
    Hab 04 06-28.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Hab 02 06-28.jpg
    Hab 02 06-28.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Well here it is 2 weeks since my last post and have had numerous animal incursions with various stages of damage and one death. First had the cold weather and 3 days with rain off and on. Next came home after work and found a squirrel had dig out 2 dragon's breath and bury a peanut shell in the open holes argggg 1 dragon's breath seems like it will make it, maybe, and the other did not. Also found the hot box was getting less sun than expected so moved it next to the GH and gained about 4 hrs of sun per day. Earlier this week found out that my 3 dogs were urinating on my habs, so that explained why they looked so bad. Trying to recover by over watering for dilution and showing some minor recovery on a couple, no so much on the other 3. Yesterday added small amounts of bone meal then covered it all with shredded straw and found out the dogs loved the smell so much they dug out 3 plants fully and partially dug out 4 others arggg Replanted them all and again over watered a bit to help recover. My scotchBonnet has 24 pods on it today and my Habanero has 13 so happy about that. The 2 OW Reapers have given me 4 ripe peppers so far and have 14 pods between then with about another 4 dozen flowers. Pictures added for comparison from exactly 21 days ago. I now have a wire mesh fence around the boxes to help prevent furture incursions.
I can relate. I have a deer that is willing to walk through electric fence wire to get into the garden. So far, the beet and spinach patch have been impacted. My pepper patch is next to this area, and I know it's just a matter of time before they are the target. Its war now. I hope I don't get arrested for poaching!
Good luck with the garden!

Looking good in Keizer, Seth. Hope the Summer
season is good to you and your plants!

Finally got the plants out in the yard a few weeks ago.
These pics are a couple of weeks old. The June weather
has been much improved compared to the last few seasons.

IMG_5674.jpeg
c. cardenasii

IMG_5675.jpeg
c. flexuosum

IMG_5677.jpeg
Dwarf Chiltepin

IMG_5680.jpeg
Cumari annum

IMG_5682.jpeg
Wiri-Wiri, yellow berries

IMG_5684.jpeg
Pequin ‘Ulvadi’

IMG_5686.jpeg
Pequin ‘Seguin’

IMG_5687.jpeg
Pequin ‘Chihuahua’

IMG_5689.jpeg
Chiltepín Rojo, 4th year

IMG_5691.jpeg
Chiltepin Rojo, volunteer

Will try to post more updates soon 🤨

Looking good, Paul. Impressive trunks on several of those!

It was a heck of a June in the PNW this year. Is it too much to hope for a great September too?
Thanks, @CaneDog. They are finally shaping up after
a winter and spring of benign neglect! Hoping
they will continue to improve through the summer.
They are just now beginning to flower.

I am happy to see such a nice June after the
lousy start to the past few seasons. I am hold-
ing onto hope for a nice fall season, as well!

Last edited:
The Annuum's stalled for a while but seem to be adjusting ok. I managed to resolve my garden pest problem and I'm not in jail.
The standout so far is the Dragon's toe, and the peppadew plants. They have been first to set fruit and are growing fast.
I'm pleased with the weather so far this year. Not much rain but the temps have been great.

Attachments

• IMG_0917[1].JPG
    IMG_0917[1].JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 43
Yay! Weather has been great so far, for sure.

Your pepper patch looks great. Looking forward
to seeing the Summer abundance.

This is 3 weeks from last pics. Overall had a total of 10 deaths by the animal incursions but had starts to replace them, 3 Red Savinas, 3 Dragons Breath, 4 Habaneros. 3 habs came back and though small right now, they look healthy. The jalapenos are suddenly flowering everywhere with a few small pods so far. The cayennes are podding all over some are over 4 inches already. The Scotch bon is still nice and green with over 20 pods some turning orange, size from 3/4" to one almost 2", think that is good. Right next to it is a Hab that has a few pods with one pod turning orange but since the rain 3 weeks ago all the leaves yellowed and curled like it was drowning. I bought a moisture meter to help keep it right but the leaves are still rolled tight. The lower leaves are darker, pods are still growing and a few flowers are present. Any ideas on how to save it or nothing to worry about?
Those thin twiggy reapers #1 & #2 are now much greener with much heavier leaves, plants are about 4' tall in 10 gal pots. Have harvested 9 ripe peppers, mostly small, have about 13 pods and about 45 flowers. Reaper #3 is short and bushy with about 15 flowers. Ghost is also bushy and short with more than 10 flowers. Dragon Breaths are small and bushy but no flowers and growing very slow, normal? Lava Apocalypse have been disappointing, very slow growth and less bushy than Dragons.

So any suggestions would be appreciated or maybe better what am I doing wrong??

Attachments

• Jalapenos Cayennes.jpg
    Jalapenos Cayennes.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Habaneros Scotch Bonnets.jpg
    Habaneros Scotch Bonnets.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 35
  • Lava Ghost Reaper Dragon.jpg
    Lava Ghost Reaper Dragon.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Lemon Drop Hap Jalapenos Peppercini.jpg
    Lemon Drop Hap Jalapenos Peppercini.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Scotch Bon.jpg
    Scotch Bon.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Reaper 1.jpg
    Reaper 1.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Reaper 2.jpg
    Reaper 2.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Reaper 3.jpg
    Reaper 3.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Ghost.jpg
    Ghost.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Habanero.jpg
    Habanero.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 43
  • Habanero 2.jpg
    Habanero 2.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Cayennes.jpg
    Cayennes.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Cayenne Pot 1.jpg
    Cayenne Pot 1.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Cayenne Pot 1.jpg
    Cayenne Pot 1.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Cayenne Pot 2.jpg
    Cayenne Pot 2.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 41
Glad the plants are doing well, @FGpepperguy 👍 😎

That pepper should have been labeled as a
Wild Cumari c. annuum. Very productive with
a nice growth habit. Comes from Venezuela, I
think.

I took a couple Annum pod pictures this morning. These were seed train seeds.
Giant jalapeno, dragon toe, fish pepper, peppedew.
All of my hatch type chilies are also looking great. This is fantastic weather.

Attachments

• IMG_0924[1].JPG
    IMG_0924[1].JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0925[1].JPG
    IMG_0925[1].JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0926[1].JPG
    IMG_0926[1].JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0927[1].JPG
    IMG_0927[1].JPG