• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Growth from salted seeds?

Here's a question i've been pondering. As i had posted in one of my other threads, i recently bought some "curd chilis" from the local Indian market. I love them, but realized they're loaded with seeds. The seeds look somewhat normal, if not a bit salted.

My question is, what is the likelihood of ANY of these seeds germinating? I saved some and was considering rinsing them off in warm water a couple times and trying to plant a few.

Would the salt harm the seeds assuming the chiles were never cooked?

Depending on age and the heat used to dry them, they should be good. But I like making things up also so you probably shouldnt listen to me. :)

i agree bigt. i went old school and set a wet napkin with all of the seeds in a ziploc baggie. who knows? i might get a really cool chile from India. :)

i was asking myself the very same question about a week ago. i decided to give it a try and today one of 2 seeds i planted from salty spice mix sprouted. i cant wait to see what species it is :)

fineexampl said:
So far no germination from the salted seeds. Still going at it though.

I had some old Biker Billy Jalapeno seeds (5-6yrs old?) that I thought I might try again this year. Planted a couple and had neither germinate. I tried again in some Pro Mix and this time I threw 8 seeds in one large peat cell. 2 germinated and both look like they'll make it. One of them is a monster and is the tallest of any seedling I have. I'll definitely be saving the seeds from this baby. It only takes one. :)

Back