• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

guess that pod

so my mom found a package of "Trinidad scorpion peppers"  in the grocery store for $4.99
it says they are all scorpion peppers but i am not so sure.  as it also says "warning the hottest peppers in the world 1.4+ scoville heat units"    haha
and according to the nature fresh farms website these are the only hot peppers they sell Trinidad Scorpion, Ghost, Scotch Bonnet, Spanish Chilli, Pencil Hot, Shishito - See more at: http://www.naturefresh.ca/products/hot-peppers1/#sthash.KuiPNBR0.dpuf
so tell me what you think.

anyway here are some pictures
">http://
QC6g8sj.jpg

h1qXKZ5.jpg

g3TFE85.jpg

Yeah, that brand has been showing up in the SuperStores here in Nova Scotia for several months now and every pack is a mix pack, despite being labelled as "Trinidad Scorpion", "Ghost Pepper", etc. Chances are that you have a mix of Scorpions and Scotch Bonnet (the smoother ones obviously being the bonnets) :)

There's 1 or 2 in there that look like red habs. Most look similar to pods I've got off my chocolate scorpions. However I have no experience with that company, and without knowing flavour, heat etc or even if they isolate their peppers year after year I have no idea.

i was thinking caribbean red habs, scorpions, one possible ghost and yellows i think are scorpions but not sure

it is false advertising, but im sure they dont know shit about the peppers they are growing, probably bought plants labeled wrong and going with what they were labeled as, not the actual pods. especially since their site has no mention of anything other then scorpions or scotch bonnets 

edit here is what i think
top row: caribbean red hab, scotch, caribbean red, yellow scorp, possibly another yellow scorp
middle row : ghost, 4 scorpions, caribbean red hab
bottom row: 2 caribbean red habs, 4 scorpions

well i decided i was going to make a fermented sauce with these pods and turns out they might have looked like decently fresh pods but they were rotten and talk about stink ugh. every time i buy these packages they are rotten and i have to return them, so far i am 3 for 3. grrr

magicpepper said:
well i decided i was going to make a fermented sauce with these pods and turns out they might have looked like decently fresh pods but they were rotten and talk about stink ugh. every time i buy these packages they are rotten and i have to return them, so far i am 3 for 3. grrr

I saw them in a freshco the other day. Garbage. Out of a dozen packs only one seemed fresh. None had definitive phenotypes. Most peppers were very small. Really disappointing.

I asked the produce guy when that shipment came in and he said they hadn't sat for more than a few days.

AaronRiot said:

I saw them in a freshco the other day. Garbage. Out of a dozen packs only one seemed fresh. None had definitive phenotypes. Most peppers were very small. Really disappointing.

I asked the produce guy when that shipment came in and he said they hadn't sat for more than a few days.
it is ridiculous,  i emailed the company and no big surprise they have not answered me. i asked them if the loblaws was keeping them to long or if they had shipped out rotten pods, also said they need to learn their types of hot peppers, because technically they are false advertising with the "trinidad scorpion peppers" on the label.    
also been doing some digging and it turns out they are close to windsor ont, if not in windsor. and their greenhouse is 98% automated. they claim/brag that not one human hand touches the produce before it is shipped out.  and the quality control is a camera on a machine.   im sorry but what kind of quality control is that, its no wonder why freshco,metro and loblaws. and any other produce store that carries their product is selling rotten pods.

magicpepper said:
it is ridiculous,  i emailed the company and no big surprise they have not answered me. i asked them if the loblaws was keeping them to long or if they had shipped out rotten pods, also said they need to learn their types of hot peppers, because technically they are false advertising with the "trinidad scorpion peppers" on the label.    
also been doing some digging and it turns out they are close to windsor ont, if not in windsor. and their greenhouse is 98% automated. they claim/brag that not one human hand touches the produce before it is shipped out.  and the quality control is a camera on a machine.   im sorry but what kind of quality control is that, its no wonder why freshco,metro and loblaws. and any other produce store that carries their product is selling rotten pods.

I might shoot them an email as well.

Back